Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 31 Dec 2010 (Friday) 14:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

upgrading from XTI to...

snowboarder61
70 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 31, 2010 14:43 |  #1

Most of my shooting consists of taking pictures of my dogs running and playing (50%), friends playing soccer (35%) and occasionally landscapes (about 15% of the time)...

I get quite a few keepers with my xti and overall am happy with the quality of the pictures i get out of it, just looking to upgrade my body to something newer... I know the 40d is essentially the same megapixel count as the xti, and the 50d gains in that area but which one has a better (quicker) auto focus.. I've noticed sometimes with my xti, when i pan and keep my dogs in the frame, the auto focus can't keep them in focus at all times..

I have access to numerous L lenses, got to love friends and family, so getting better glass right now isn't an issue...

Budget is about $500-800 right now.. That will put me into a 40d/50d easily, or i can save alittle more and get a 7d... I've been eying that for some time now, i just dont know if i would take full advantage of it. I could buy a UWA if i went the 40d/50d route instead of the 7d..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Brandon

5dc /// Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG macro /// Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 II EX DG APO HSM
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/eighty7turbo/se​ts/ (external link)

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 31, 2010 14:55 |  #2

snowboarder61 wrote in post #11548444 (external link)
Most of my shooting consists of taking pictures of my dogs running and playing (50%), friends playing soccer (35%) and occasionally landscapes (about 15% of the time).

For reference, soccer pictures with a T2i.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

You would be able to buy a T2i with the money you budgeted - unless someone who will recommend a more expensive camera will help you pay for the new equipment. :)

mrrikki
909 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 31, 2010 15:04 |  #3

Or get a used 500D / T1i and get a telephoto lens also for the sports pictures; the 55-250is lens is great. May also have enough cash left for a 50mm 1.8 lens; sorry not good on US prices :)

GEAR: Canon 7D Mark II, 7D & 6D Lenses: Canon 300 f2.8 L IS, 70-200 f2.8 L, 24-105 L, Canon 50mm f1.8 & Sigma 1.4x Converter.
Website www.rmtphotos.co.uk (external link)

onick
204 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 31, 2010 15:11 |  #4

i would vote for a 7D as it has a better auto focus system then 50D or 60D which 85% of your shotting requires. also most importantly it will ensure that you won't have to wonder if a 7D's pictures would have been better while pixel peeping your newly bought 40D or 50D's picture.

Canon EOS 6D II | Canon EOS 550D | 18-55mm IS | 55-250mm STM | Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 | 35mm f2.0 IS | 50mm f1.8 | 135mm f2.0 L | YN-568EX II

snowboarder61
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 31, 2010 15:21 |  #5

onick wrote in post #11548572 (external link)
i would vote for a 7D as it has a better auto focus system then 50D or 60D which 85% of your shotting requires. also most importantly it will ensure that you won't have to wonder if a 7D's pictures would have been better while pixel peeping your newly bought 40D or 50D's picture.

That's why i was wondering if it would be beneficial to upgrade to a 40d/50d or just save up and get a 7d.. I would put the auto focus as a priority to the upgrade list and everything i've read the 7d is quite a bit better than the others... and the weather sealing would be beneficial here in the great Northwest where it's quite wet most of the year. Granite i'd need a weather sealed lens to take full benefit of that...

Thanks DC fan for the samples... Taking pictures of soccer isn't really an issue with my xti, but my damn dogs can be quick.. And I don't think my xti likes to pan very well and keep focused... :(

mrrikki: that is also an option, but i don't know how much better that auto focus system is better than my xti.. I'll have to check it out...

mrrikki
909 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 31, 2010 19:08 |  #6

snowboarder61 wrote in post #11548619 (external link)
That's why i was wondering if it would be beneficial to upgrade to a 40d/50d or just save up and get a 7d.. I would put the auto focus as a priority to the upgrade list and everything i've read the 7d is quite a bit better than the others... and the weather sealing would be beneficial here in the great Northwest where it's quite wet most of the year. Granite i'd need a weather sealed lens to take full benefit of that...

Thanks DC fan for the samples... Taking pictures of soccer isn't really an issue with my xti, but my damn dogs can be quick.. And I don't think my xti likes to pan very well and keep focused... :(

mrrikki: that is also an option, but i don't know how much better that auto focus system is better than my xti.. I'll have to check it out...

Sorry i missed that you already had the 50mm 1.8, what about a 50D with a 55-250 IS lens? Fast FPS for the dogs :)

GEAR: Canon 7D Mark II, 7D & 6D Lenses: Canon 300 f2.8 L IS, 70-200 f2.8 L, 24-105 L, Canon 50mm f1.8 & Sigma 1.4x Converter.
Website www.rmtphotos.co.uk (external link)

bdp23
471 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 31, 2010 19:26 |  #7

I upgraded from the 400D/Xti to a 60D.

Because you've waited so long, I'd suggest 7D/60D/550D(T2i?) because they share the same sensor and you get all the bells and whistles, so you can hold onto this purchase again and get your money's worth like you did (and I did) on the last camera.

I really like my 60D and the body size and weight were as important as anything else for me. The extra focus points and other features of 7D would have been nice to have, but not necessary for my needs. I think you'll find the auto-focus on the 60D is substantially better than the Xti, I was shocked and confused the first few times I shot moving subjects as my lenses felt like they'd been given a new lease on life.

Good luck with your decision, but I'd strongly you buy one of the current generation.

I like making photos and sometimes I think I'm getting better... then I realise it doesn't matter. I like making photos!

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Dec 31, 2010 20:12 as a reply to  @ bdp23's post |  #8

If AF speed is the primary consideration any of the bodies will be roughly the same--the 40D, 50D, and 60D all share the same focus system, which is roughly 30% faster than the XTI.

Are you using center point only?

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 31, 2010 20:32 |  #9

I have the T2i, which I upgraded to from the XS, and I can tell a huge difference in many areas. Autofocus is faster, colors seem to be a little better, and it can handle low light better.

Thank you. bw!

snowboarder61
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 31, 2010 21:28 |  #10

dave kadolph wrote in post #11549941 (external link)
If AF speed is the primary consideration any of the bodies will be roughly the same--the 40D, 50D, and 60D all share the same focus system, which is roughly 30% faster than the XTI.

Are you using center point only?

I have used center point only and primarily other points as well, and it helps, but sometimes it likes to keep focused on the objects that are of equal distance when they get closer or farther away.. Even with a canon 70-200 f/4 non-is i got 50/50 results with focused and out of focus shots.. The focused shots were excellent, but then the out of focus ones were slightly off.. The focus would change, but not quick enough, it's like the focal plane would be a foot or two behind them/in front of them (dogs)... Like i said, i love the xti, but looking to upgrade to something alittle quicker. Thanks for the info!

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 01, 2011 04:40 |  #11

Dumb question I know, but are you using AI Servo?

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

snowboarder61
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 02, 2011 18:49 as a reply to  @ philwillmedia's post |  #12

Yes AI servo is used as well... I've tried AV, TV, and manual mode... Just seems like in "some" instances it was alittle too slow

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 02, 2011 19:34 |  #13

snowboarder61 wrote in post #11560172 (external link)
Yes AI servo is used as well... I've tried AV, TV, and manual mode... Just seems like in "some" instances it was alittle too slow

Those have nothing to do with the way your camera focuses.
Post some examples with exif data attached - doesn't matter how good or bad they are.
Actually bad ones are better. That way we can see what you're talking about.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Craign
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 02, 2011 20:26 |  #14

I have looked at several of your dog pictures. The ISO is low and shutter speeds are really slow while using the Tamron non VC lens - ISO 100-400 and shutter speeds as low as 1/10 sec. The problem might be movement rather than focus.

I use a 50D with a 70-200 F2/8 L IS for action events. The ISO is set to 1600 and using AV allows shutter speeds up to 1/4000sec. in good light. This works great when shooting subjects moving toward me in excess of 100 mph. Focus is not a problem as long as I keep the center point focus on the subject.

Any of the newer cameras mentioned would allow ISO 1600 and much faster shutter speeds. I suspect your heart wants a 7D, mine does too. You might consider a refurbished 7D from a retailer like Adorama for $1,339.95. The Canon Loyalty Program (CLP) is another possibility. Search elsewhere for more information about the CLP, I know nothing.

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

sponsored links

1,819 views & 0 likes for this thread
upgrading from XTI to...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.