Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 31 Dec 2010 (Friday) 18:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nailing focus every time with the Zacuto and Live View

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 31, 2010 18:21 |  #1

Four months ago I got a Zacuto Z-Finder Pro for video and instantly fell in love with it. I immediately started using it for stills with great results and over the last few months have gotten very comfortable and fast composing the shot, punching in to 10x, focusing precisely, the firing off a shot. With the Zacuto it looks like you are composing on a huge 10 foot screen in front of you. At night, the screen is incredibly bright and you can see exactly what your exposure will be before firing off the shot.

Is it as fast as shooting through the viewfinder and using auto focus? Certainly not, but to have a 100% hit rate on the focus when shooting at 1.2 more than makes up for the lack of speed.

What's really cool, is I can see the chromatic aberrations disappear when the focus is absolutely locked on to my subject. Just a mm makes a lot of difference in the amount of CA and I don't think autofocus is that precise even when it works perfect.

I have also used it in the studio with strobes with excellent results as well.

I think it's a great tool for anyone struggling with the auto focus at thin DOF or anyone who wants a really bright viewfinder for nighttime street photography.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5283/5310454927_3d4feafded_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5003/5310454967_71931241fe_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5127/5310455009_e0402dd20f_b.jpg

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

sponsored links
Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 31, 2010 19:54 |  #2

For others in the viewfinders market, nice comparison with LCDVF
http://www.cameratown.​com/reviews/lcdvf/ (external link)
http://www.gearnewsand​reviews.com/?p=230 (external link)
Never owned Zacuto but LCDVF greatly improved quality of video taken with 7D, I don't use live view for still shooting purposes, phase detection AF works just fine for me.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,743 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 06, 2011 12:21 |  #3

that looks like a very interesting and useful accessory.

mark

DutchVince
297 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 06, 2011 15:52 as a reply to  @ MDJAK's post |  #4

Very interesting!
But a little too expensive for me...

7D|400D|10-22|60 Macro|18-55|100-400L|600
Or: just about anything from real close to infinity
Mac Pro|calibrated Eizo monitor
Some of my photo's: http://www.allalin.nl/​photogallery/ (external link)

Canon ­ Bob
Goldmember
2,063 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 06, 2011 16:09 as a reply to  @ DutchVince's post |  #5

I use a Z-Finder for field macro shots and have found it's increased my success rate considerably. I tried an LCDVF first to get a handle on things before moving onto the Zacuto product....much more polished and refined but comes with the expected price premium.

Bob

1Dx2 (2), 5DSR, 1Ds3, 1D4, 5D2(590nm), 5D2(720nm) EF600 EF400 EF300-II EF300 EF200 EF200-II EF180L EF135L EF100 EF85-II EF50L TS-E17/4 TS-E24L-II TS-E45 TS-E90 MP-E65 EF70-200-II EF24-70/2.8-II EF16-35/4 EF8-15/4 EF11-24/4 Zeiss 15/2.8 21/2.8 25/2 28/2 35/1.4 35/2 50/2 85/1.4 100/2 135/2 T/C's L-SC & a WIFE!

aroundlsu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 06, 2011 19:20 |  #6

Canon Bob wrote in post #11789633 (external link)
I use a Z-Finder for field macro shots and have found it's increased my success rate considerably. I tried an LCDVF first to get a handle on things before moving onto the Zacuto product....much more polished and refined but comes with the expected price premium.

Bob

I just finished a huge photo shoot for the Twilight Breaking Dawn movie. I used the Zacuto the whole time. It's definately a lot slower trying to follow the focus of a moving model, but the shots you did get are all 100% perfect. I am shooting about 1 shot every 2 seconds. A behind the scenes video was made of the photoshoot so I hope to be able to post that soon.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

BlueTsunami
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 06, 2011 23:00 |  #7

Can't wait till manufactures really give EVF's the treatment they deserve (obviousl correlation between Live View and just moving the function to the viewfinder). A nice large viewfinder with a very high resolution EVF would be great. Hell, it would be interesting if Sony used some of the OLED tech in some form.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,095 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nailing focus every time with the Zacuto and Live View
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.