Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 31 Dec 2010 (Friday) 21:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do I have the right or not? - Shooting in public

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 31, 2010 21:06 |  #1

This has been talked a bit here but I want to know it clearly. It's often a discution between me and the girlfriend so I figure I'll ask here to get an answer.

Let's say I'm in a public park and see a nice couple holding their hands while walking. I grab my camera and snap them. I can, I'm in a public parc.

Now I do not want to discuss about what is polite/right/ethical to do, I want to know my rights. Answer appropriately.

Now my questions are as follow:

1- Can I put them on my website let's say portfolio if it's an awesome shot? Is that consider advertissement (which I can't do since I don't have their permission) or I have the full right to put them on the internet, without their approval?

2- What if they saw me taking the picture and want me to delete it. The problem is, that is the best picture I ever took. Can I still keep it even if they want me to delete it? Again, can I use it for my portfolio?

3- Let's say I am contacted by someone who saw the picture on my website. He finds it awesome and want a 20x24 print, for his own personnal use, to hang in his living room. Obviously I cannot contact the couple, I don't know them and took the picture 3 years ago (example). Is there a way I can sell the picture or absolutely not?

4- Next situation. I'm in a gymnasium, snapping pictures of teenagers playing soccer. I'm on a private propriety and no sign/rules says no pictures. Can I snap as much as I want and put them on the website?

5- What if someone doesn't want me to take thier picture but it turns out it's the best sport picture I have ever snapped. Do I have the right to put it on my website? I know I could receive a cease and descise letter and would remove it accordingly but if I don't, can I keep it?

I'm sorry it's a lot of questions but I want to know my rights and their rights. If they approach me, I don't want to answer them b*llsh*t.

Thanks to any of you who will answer those questions for me. If you have any experience/reference, I'd be happy to know them :)

Hi, I'm David.

sponsored links
Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 31, 2010 21:18 |  #2

Specifying what country you live in may help people give relevant answers. The laws on such things vary from place to place.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 31, 2010 21:21 |  #3

Canada. But I want to know for US also ;)

Hi, I'm David.

bdp23
471 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 31, 2010 21:30 |  #4

In broad strokes, when you press the button and you're on public property, not violating privacy by shooting through cracks in a fence or up skirts, and you're not harrassing people (ahem, paparazzi), you're fine to do non-commercial things with it. You cannot be directed to delete the photos and I'd request they call the police to attend if they start to get nasty, more for your protection if they get violent.

For specifics, it depends on your local laws.

In practice, don't get nasty or know-it-all if asked to delete a photo. If they want to call the police I'd agree with them and make sure they do it, in case they get violent. Start by being friendly and hand out a Moo card with your Flickr stream. Any harassment they might start with once they get home is on record.

I know that I'm sounding very cynical, but it's better to go ahead and shoot rather than hold back in fear of what might happen. Just smile and be prepared to listen to rude people call you nasty names.

I like making photos and sometimes I think I'm getting better... then I realise it doesn't matter. I like making photos!

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,100 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 31, 2010 21:34 |  #5

This is a good document to keep in your bag and spells out much of what you are asking.
http://www.krages.com/​ThePhotographersRight.​pdf (external link)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 31, 2010 21:37 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

As long as you are outside and away from your own personal property, you are in the public. People have no rights to ask you to delete your photos or even to prevent you from taking photos on the street. However, it is not courteousness or polite at all if you were asked to delete the photos and you refused and citing the law to be on your side. Same thing with the law enforcement. Unless you are capturing some big police or government cover up, go delete the photos if you were asked by a police officer. However, I wont do it if a private security guard is giving me a hard time. :)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,100 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 31, 2010 21:48 |  #7

TooManyShots wrote in post #11550274 (external link)
As long as you are outside and away from your own personal property, you are in the public.

Not true. Many places outside away from your own personal property is not public property, but someone elses private property. This holds true for just about any building, shopping center, home, store, bar, tavern, restaurant, race tracks, and many museums. The owners of those properties are free to set whatever policy they want.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 31, 2010 21:50 |  #8

Thanks that is kind of what I was thinking. But what about my portfolio (when I'll build one...) is that considered advertisement?

Oh and I know that if asked to delete, I would probably be polite and delete (if I don't care about the picture), but if I did care, I wa ted to know if I could keep it.

Hi, I'm David.

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Dec 31, 2010 21:58 |  #9

Well, I wouldn't delete anything for anyone, including law enforcement. If a judge asks me to delete them, then I will.. but anything short of a court order, forget it.

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 31, 2010 22:03 |  #10

^^ Thanks. But what about putting them on your website? Portfolio?

Hi, I'm David.

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Dec 31, 2010 22:09 |  #11

If you can make out who the person is, then it can't be used for commercial purposes(without a release).

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 31, 2010 22:12 |  #12

Is a portfolio/website considered commercial?

What's the point of shooting them if you can't show the shot?

Hi, I'm David.

focus.pocus
Goldmember
3,423 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 31, 2010 22:16 |  #13

Todd Lambert wrote in post #11550389 (external link)
If you can make out who the person is, then it can't be used for commercial purposes(without a release).

not entirely true... paparazzi do it all the time... as long as you are on public property and the person or persons being photographed are on public property you can use it... you can't copywrite it however without a release...

I know, right? I'm just sayin'...

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,634 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 31, 2010 22:21 |  #14

In the US, if someone is in a 'public' location and they do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy (e.g. private event) they cannot prevent you from photographing them. However, while you might be able photograph them, and while you can use this in a web site which you keep as a non-commercial manner, you CANNOT use that same photo in any COMMERCIAL manner. Unless you have signed model releases, you cannot...

• Sell the rights to use the photo to anyone else for any commercial use
  • Use the photo yourself to promote your own commercial enterprise (no window display photo, no brochures, no advertising, no use on a web site promoting your business

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 31, 2010 22:24 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

gjl711 wrote in post #11550316 (external link)
Not true. Many places outside away from your own personal property is not public property, but someone elses private property. This holds true for just about any building, shopping center, home, store, bar, tavern, restaurant, race tracks, and many museums. The owners of those properties are free to set whatever policy they want.

Hmm...no. I believe the OP is considering photos of people in these settings. I believe he isn't taking pictures of the establishments.... No, I don't believe within these establishments the owner can dictate if you can or can't take pictures of other guests in the building..... Most major museums are public buildings.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

7,895 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do I have the right or not? - Shooting in public
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.