Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 31 Dec 2010 (Friday) 22:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Traveling for a year...Q' - s about traveling with gear

Lyle ­ Krannichfeld
397 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 31, 2010 22:57 |  #1

2 bodies, 5 lenses, external lighting, full underwater kit, 17" laptop, external hd's, scuba gear, etc.

There will be 2 of us and I intend to spread it out amongst our carry-ons. Any suggestions on bags? What have you guys used and liked?

Also with a trip of this length, how would you deal with image storage? I was thinking of shipping external hd's home, keeping a copy of everything with me and one safe at home. The ruggedized 1tb Lacie ones look promising.

FYI, it's: Hawaii - Fiji - New Zealand - Australia - London - New York - Puerto Rico - Costa Rica - Portland - Seattle - Vancouver...so far.

We are also thinking of shipping the dive gear from Australia to Puerto Rico instead of hauling it along. Then once we leave Costa Rica, shipping it home.

Thanks!

Fine Art Landscape/Wildlife Photographer on Maui: INSTAGRAM (external link) FACEBOOK (external link)
Tonga tours to swim with the Humpbacks: AUMAKUA TOURS (external link)
Sony A7R III, 12-24G, 16-35GM, 50 1.4ZA, 85 1.4GM
DJI Inspire 2 with X7 and 16, 24, 35, 50

miniphotog
216 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 01, 2011 01:55 |  #2

I went looking for a bag just to hold my camera equipment for extended travel. I was told by a "well meaninged" sales guy that a Tamrac Pro 612 would work great. So I bought it and went home and tried to fit my camera equipment in it. No luck... The pockets were just too small. I don't know how they could call it a pro bag as no pro lenses would fit right. So I returned it and went to the 'net to research. First, I changed my mind and decided that I wanted a bag to hold my 17" laptop so I didn't have to carry two bags. That option limits your choices. I looked at models from Tamrac. The Super Pro 14 (614)is the only Tamrac bag that will hold a 17" and IT is not Carry-on-able. (Too big).. So I looked at others from Billingham, Domke, Lowepro, Mountainsmith (they had a nice bag called the Capture AT. But, I didn't like the zipper top because it didn't have storage pockets on the top like the Tenba has. It also looked like the bag didn't hold it's shape when adding camera equipment. Plus, it just looked to big to throw on the shoulder)

SO, I ended up with a bag called the Tenba Shootout photo/laptop because it could hold my 17" MBP and it had a zipper to pull the only the laptop when you go through airport security. It's a great bag and very well built. Unfortunately, I was going to put a link to it but it's been discontinued. The closest thing they have now is http://www.tenba.com …t-Large-Shoulder-Bag.aspx (external link)

FYI - This is the one I have - http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=rtinbkgvcGw (external link)

fecone
58 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 11, 2011 07:02 |  #3

thats an awesome trip youre about to go on. but a combo of 35 50 85 lenses would be what i would want.

17-404L 351.4L 501.2L 851.2iiL 2001.8L 5DC 5D3

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,324 views & 0 likes for this thread
Traveling for a year...Q' - s about traveling with gear
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.