Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 01 Jan 2011 (Saturday) 10:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What photographers charge

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 01, 2011 10:38 |  #1

I may be moving this year and if I do then I need to know what the average photographer charges for weddings and portraits for that area so I can base my prices around that? Can anyone tell me how to check for that info?

Thank you.

sponsored links
TopHatMoments
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 01, 2011 11:05 |  #2

Err, google, city, photographers, services, fee's

Markiting is a part of any business plan, and the demographic research, is the same for each area you expect to do business in..

Not knowing that suggests, a basic business course would come in most handy.

Google, area ( community coleges, evening or weekend courses )

Canon to PhotoShop, “Beam me up”! LR3 set course for CS5, Warp speed 64!___ ((dpp___/==***^***

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 01, 2011 11:23 |  #3

So if your area is populated by Craigslist photographers doing a 8 hour wedding for $250 and a free CD of all images will you try and compete with them?

Price your work and time at a rate that you are happy with - if that means that you are pitching at the higher-end clients then so be it.

By all means be aware of the competition that you face but don't let it drive your pricing policy 100%.

TopHatMoments
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 01, 2011 11:42 |  #4

Business course would do many some good..

Canon to PhotoShop, “Beam me up”! LR3 set course for CS5, Warp speed 64!___ ((dpp___/==***^***

gravy ­ graffix
Goldmember
1,134 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 01, 2011 12:06 |  #5

It does not matter what others charge. Price your work to make a profit. Factor in everything including your own salary, all expenses that you need to shoot. Wedding photography is not a commodity, it's a luxury. Stop competing on price.

Peoria IL Wedding Photographer (external link) Chicago Wedding Photographers (external link)

Svetlana
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 01, 2011 13:26 |  #6

read Tofurious.com, lots of great ideas on marketing and pricing for photogs!

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/ (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)! :)

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 01, 2011 16:39 |  #7

TopHatMoments wrote in post #11552594 (external link)
Business course would do many some good..

Well running a photography business is 10% photography 90% business.

There are plenty of excellent photographers who are on the poverty line because they can't run a business for the life of them.

Likewise many OK photographers are making a good living at it... go figure.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 01, 2011 19:19 as a reply to  @ Nightstalker's post |  #8

Thanks for all the great info, the area will be Rockwall,TX. I'll take all this info to heart and consideration..

Thanks again.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 01, 2011 22:36 |  #9

You do need to get info on the competition and take it into consideration. I'd suggest you and some friends make some calls to established photogs in the area and get quotes from them. Google for their websites and see if any post price lists. too. Sometimes wedding planners have price lists from photographers, too. Worst case, you might find a regular price war going on in town and want to steer clear of it!

Forget Craigslist unless you plan to compete there. It's meaningless, and not someplace I'd recommend trolling. Regular feeding frenzy among bottom feeders. There were 717 active photographer ads on my local Craigslist, the last time I looked. I wouldn't call them "professional", since the ones who had websites tended to only have a small portfolio, perhaps one or two weddings in the case of wedding photogs (which is what the majority of them aspire to be)... and I'm guessing those with two weddings under their belts, one was probably a family member's. A lot were offering dirt cheap packages ($200 and less). Some were offering free shoots, building their portfolios! Most will be out of business in a year or two.

Do a proper cost-of-doing business analysis. There are some websites that describe this in detail for photographers. You will probably be surprised what you need to charge, to be viable, sustainable and profitable enough to make it worth your while (hint, it's more than most of those CL "pros" charge). You can always offer introductory discounts if you wish, but should have a "regular" price list to refer to first.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Yogue
101 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 02, 2011 13:16 |  #10

Svetlana wrote in post #11553097 (external link)

Wow, thanks for the tip, that website is awesome.

biggpopa
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 03, 2011 01:58 |  #11

Svetlana wrote in post #11553097 (external link)

i agree!

My Gear List

sponsored links

2,206 views & 0 likes for this thread
What photographers charge
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.