Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 02 Jan 2011 (Sunday) 00:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BBall Tournament - Strobed

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 02, 2011 00:20 |  #1

Haven't posted in awhile, plans for a trip to FL fell through because of the east coast blizzard and the fact AirTran sucks, so shot a b-ball tournament instead dusting off the strobes. Been almost a year since using them so figured it was time to get them out, will probably do a few more games as just not the happiest with the results and fill some time in the off-season. Adjusted a lot but just couldn't get them the way I liked or did last year in this same gym (college). Hard light on the crowd, some dead spots, bounced wrong, all user error.

Mark IV, 70-200 2.8, EXIF should be embedded. 2 AB's, 1600 - used about 3/8 - 1/2 power mostly.
Distracting watermarks are there for a reason.

#1 - Dead ball, playing close D.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

#2 - Bringing the ball up court.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#3 - Kind of posterized, jump shot in the face.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#4 - Driving past the defender.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#5 - Taking the lane, new transfer student.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#6 - MVP, even though his team lost he still took home the hardware.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#7 - Getting rejected from behind, kid doing the rejecting also made some trick shots - one from behind the backboard as he was going out of bounds in front of me, missed it.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

#8 - Coach running up the court watching a play, missed a lot of good celebration shots with him. His team lost in the end, local team won for the 6th straight year. This team blew an 8 point lead after a technical foul, momentum changer, which wasn't even mentioned in the paper the next day - not sure why - but it went from a major upset is going to happen to a comeback.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

sponsored links
VinnyC01
"throw pies at me! "
1,176 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 02, 2011 10:49 |  #2

5-stars including the coach. ~ it took me three looks, but I though the father behind the coach in the last shot, had an awesome mohawk going!

CANON Mark 1D IV & 5D Mark III; 300/2.8L IS; 70-200/2.8L IS; 24-70 f/2.8L; 85/1.8; 50/1.4;1.4x; 580EX II;
MCVProductions.net (external link); Sports Shooter; (external link) MaxPreps (external link); Facebook; (external link) Flickr; (external link)

MJPhotos24
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 03, 2011 16:16 |  #3

Weird, I responded to this but it's not here...

Anyways, thanks Vinny - didn't notice the hawk going for the dad even if it is a trick of the eye. That coach was interesting to shoot, though missed all the good celebration shots while shooting action.

beanwz
113 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 03, 2011 22:26 |  #4

the intensity on #4 is great

Gear: 60D | 24L 1.4 II | 40 2.8 STM | Fuji X-E2 | 35 1.4 | 18-55 2.8-4.0

MJPhotos24
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 04, 2011 14:43 |  #5

beanwz wrote in post #11568603 (external link)
the intensity on #4 is great

Soon as he did it was wondering if it was for the camera, or just intense.

DD974
835 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 05, 2011 06:49 as a reply to  @ MJPhotos24's post |  #6

Nice job here, strobing the gym gives a much better result, faster SS and lower ISOs. I want to try this in my local schools sometime, I haven't asked anyone yet but fear I'll have trouble getting anyone to buy into allowing the strobes to be used. Using my Qflash Trio just doesn't cut it, need faster SS than 250 for sure, even with Jr. High BB.

Where in the gym did you have your strobes positioned, on stands?, super-clamped? How many and watt power used?

DC~

MJPhotos24
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 05, 2011 14:43 |  #7

DD974 wrote in post #11577121 (external link)
Nice job here, strobing the gym gives a much better result, faster SS and lower ISOs. I want to try this in my local schools sometime, I haven't asked anyone yet but fear I'll have trouble getting anyone to buy into allowing the strobes to be used. Using my Qflash Trio just doesn't cut it, need faster SS than 250 for sure, even with Jr. High BB.

Where in the gym did you have your strobes positioned, on stands?, super-clamped? How many and watt power used?

You do not get a higher ss - most of these were shot at 1/250 with some at 1/320. If you go to high in shutter you will be getting lag and see a black strip across your images.

This is a college that has two walk ways on the side so setting up is easy. If you look at image #8 to the left side of the image, there's a doorway on the walkway. They were set up right where the guy in the grey shirt is, one on each side, tied to the rail on stands. I did not want the stands extended because of people walking around and it's more secure tied down. Used the stands instead of super-clamps because I wanted to extend them to about where the exit sign was, just above the door. Again, that was just to get them out of the way from people walking around. Plugged in down below the bleachers. Not ideal, but worked and still need to make adjustments.

If strobes are set up right, and you have insurance to set them up, they shouldn't be a problem, though you just never know. Sometimes coaches hate it, players never notice it in basketball unless you're shooting during the free throw. At the college it's easy, I did a five month internship there and they hired me to do games so are used to it - high schools actually have no say in it when they play there. At other schools it's more difficult and you need the AD/Coach/Principal/som​eone in power to OK them.

DD974
835 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 05, 2011 17:43 |  #8

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #11579561 (external link)
You do not get a higher ss - most of these were shot at 1/250 with some at 1/320. If you go to high in shutter you will be getting lag and see a black strip across your images.

This is a college that has two walk ways on the side so setting up is easy. If you look at image #8 to the left side of the image, there's a doorway on the walkway. They were set up right where the guy in the grey shirt is, one on each side, tied to the rail on stands. I did not want the stands extended because of people walking around and it's more secure tied down. Used the stands instead of super-clamps because I wanted to extend them to about where the exit sign was, just above the door. Again, that was just to get them out of the way from people walking around. Plugged in down below the bleachers. Not ideal, but worked and still need to make adjustments.

If strobes are set up right, and you have insurance to set them up, they shouldn't be a problem, though you just never know. Sometimes coaches hate it, players never notice it in basketball unless you're shooting during the free throw. At the college it's easy, I did a five month internship there and they hired me to do games so are used to it - high schools actually have no say in it when they play there. At other schools it's more difficult and you need the AD/Coach/Principal/som​eone in power to OK them.

Yeah, I was thinking anything even a little faster than sync speed is better, wasn't figuring 600-800 :lol:....250 is just not fast enough to freeze action at the high school level anyway. Thanks for the info.

DC~

mrcpix
194 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 05, 2011 19:27 |  #9

ss speed is limited because he was shooting studio strobes and has a sync speed most likely at 1/250 as for it not being fast enough that is true in natural light, but not so when using strobes the flash freezes the action since it is firing much faster.

Mike Carnes
Canon 7Dmk2 gripped

MJPhotos24
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 05, 2011 19:46 |  #10

DD974 wrote in post #11580680 (external link)
Yeah, I was thinking anything even a little faster than sync speed is better, wasn't figuring 600-800 :lol:....250 is just not fast enough to freeze action at the high school level anyway. Thanks for the info.

Sync speed is the same as with a flash, 1/250 - it's not the shutter "freezing" the action.

dmwierz
Goldmember
2,376 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 05, 2011 20:11 |  #11

The duration of the flash stops the action. The shutter speed only controls ambient exposure. Typical strobe duration is 1/1500s or faster. Even a speedlight is 1/800s or faster.

Tons and tons of posts on this topic.

http://www.denniswierz​bicki.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/dmwierz (external link)

Dennis "
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."

ca7696
679 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 05, 2011 22:05 |  #12

great find.... she should sit behind him all the time they make a great pair!:lol:

VinnyC01 wrote in post #11557845 (external link)
5-stars including the coach. ~ it took me three looks, but I though the father behind the coach in the last shot, had an awesome mohawk going!

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 06, 2011 00:34 |  #13

So Mike, are you having issues with stolen images? Is that why the huge, middle of the image watermarks?

Some great action even if you think you didn't do so well. I'd like to do so badly!

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

MJPhotos24
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 06, 2011 14:46 |  #14

ChasWG wrote in post #11583068 (external link)
So Mike, are you having issues with stolen images? Is that why the huge, middle of the image watermarks?

Some great action even if you think you didn't do so well. I'd like to do so badly!

I always have images stolen, if I just google search my name I can find probably 2-5 at any given time. Given it's usually not this stuff, but yea a lot gets stolen.

Might shoot tonight again at the same gym, girls though, not sure.

sponsored links

3,507 views & 0 likes for this thread
BBall Tournament - Strobed
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.