Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 11:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

15mm Fisheye (How Often to use)

thrash_273
Goldmember
4,901 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 04, 2011 11:27 |  #1

hi guys, happy new year to all. im curios about this special lens (15mm fe) for those who has it and those who use it for professional means how often do you use it? what particular occasion it shines the most?

Ben
flickr (external link)
Positive feedbacks, More, More,More
a6000 | Pentax SMC 50 1.7 | Rok 8 2.8 Fe | Sony 50 1.8

sponsored links
sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 04, 2011 12:21 |  #2

I used it a few times during weddings and such. It's really one of those lenses that it's cool and great to have but will see very little use.

Walkaround with a fisheye will get bore pretty fast :)

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

tophotowa
258 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 04, 2011 12:24 |  #3

If you are shooting action sports it would get put to use pretty heavily. Other then that, I can't think of a time that a fisheye would really be called for.

Flickr (external link) || Feedback
www.taoconnell.com (external link)
C&C are always welcomed!

thrash_273
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,901 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 04, 2011 12:24 |  #4

4x4rock wrote in post #11571806 (external link)
I used it a few times during weddings and such. It's really one of those lenses that it's cool and great to have but will see very little use.

Walkaround with a fisheye will get bore pretty fast :)

yikes. when was that last use?(if you dnt mind)

Ben
flickr (external link)

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 04, 2011 12:27 |  #5

I used it last in the last wedding about 2 months ago. I shot some shots of the dog around Thanks Giving with it too :) But it's a cool lens and the kids love it.

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 04, 2011 12:29 |  #6

I rarely ever use mine and could easily do without it. It's just one of those things that for certain situations it's great to have, but IMO those situations are few and far between.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

thrash_273
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,901 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 04, 2011 12:29 |  #7

i guess its not that much use in studio?..

Ben
flickr (external link)

djre4orm
39 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 04, 2011 15:17 |  #8

I love my 15mm fish. I'd say its more of a walkaround then my others. Really lightweight and keeps my camera easy to carry. Its razor sharp and great for low light group shots. I have no problem capturing the whole scene sometimes even able to capture myself in it too! haha Also with lightroom 3.2 or PTlens plugin you can correct the distortion 100%

IMAGE: http://g2.img-dpreview.com/FA6DCD9F723444E3B1BA957ECEB4D8AD.jpg
IMAGE: http://g2.img-dpreview.com/E9A766A1AD494C9FBDF1BF3134D01A15.jpg

Trevor04GT
722 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 04, 2011 15:22 |  #9

^^^^ Woah!

Trevor - Canon 6D Mark 2 / Sigma 24mm 1.4 Art / Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art / Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art / Canon 70-200 II F2.8L / DJI Mavic Air / DJI OM4 / GoPro 8 Black

irwaffles
161 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 04, 2011 17:14 |  #10

djre4orm wrote in post #11572888 (external link)
I love my 15mm fish. I'd say its more of a walkaround then my others. Really lightweight and keeps my camera easy to carry. Its razor sharp and great for low light group shots. I have no problem capturing the whole scene sometimes even able to capture myself in it too! haha Also with lightroom 3.2 or PTlens plugin you can correct the distortion 100%

QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE

Would you mind posting a before and after distortion correction via LR? Or are those pictures already corrected (at least #2?)? I just invested in a fisheye myself and would love to see more samples.

flickr (external link)
5d mark 2 - Canon 24-70 2.8

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 04, 2011 17:54 |  #11

djre4orm wrote in post #11572888 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

I'd really like this shot if it was corrected...as it is, the tilted/curving horizon totally ruins it for me.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

djre4orm
39 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 04, 2011 20:49 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #12

Believe it or not neither is corrected, haha. Then again I am using a crop body. On FF the effect is a lot more prominent. Your subject and distance really makes a difference on how noticeable the distortion is.

Would I recommend for studio work, no. But a late night club or bar scene, perfect. Especially low light without flash. It even shines pretty well with landscape shots as you can see.

Here is that B&A of the 2nd shot as well as another which I shot very close to the subject but corrected later in PTlens

IMAGE: http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/6275/comparez.jpg
IMAGE: http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/3853/compare2.jpg

Another sample, uncorrected 1/15 @ 2.8 handheld
IMAGE: http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1678/cruise2010176.jpg

irwaffles
161 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 04, 2011 20:55 |  #13

^Thanks a lot. Yeah I personally bought the lens because I love the distortion that the fisheye gives. I have absolutely no problem with it. It's just now that I have a dslr my family expects me to take pictures for them every now and then, and having the option to correct the picture is awesome since they will probably appreciate it a bit more.

Edit: Random question is that carnival cruise by chance? I'm going in the summer haha.

flickr (external link)
5d mark 2 - Canon 24-70 2.8

djre4orm
39 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 04, 2011 21:01 |  #14

irwaffles wrote in post #11575152 (external link)
^Thanks a lot. Yeah I personally bought the lens because I love the distortion that the fisheye gives. I have absolutely no problem with it. It's just now that I have a dslr my family expects me to take pictures for them every now and then, and having the option to correct the picture is awesome since they will probably appreciate it a bit more.

Yup Yup, lots of possibilities. For human subjects distortion can either get you scolded or wowed, depending where they are in the frame. :lol: Enjoy the lens!

Edit: That one was RCCL, I have been on Carnival too and they are fun. Make sure to smuggle some booze on! hehe

thrash_273
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,901 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 05, 2011 07:28 |  #15

good samples their irwaffles. i guess this special lens is special.=D one of this days this will be part of my prime armada.

Ben
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,939 views & 0 likes for this thread
15mm Fisheye (How Often to use)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.