Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Jan 2011 (Friday) 08:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

85 1.8/sigma 70-200 2.8 combo or canon 70-200 2.8

wnichols
177 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 07, 2011 08:35 |  #1

OK, so I'm wanting to upgrade my Canon 70-200 f/4 to something a little faster. I'm looking at shooting some (not a lot) of indoor basketball plus outdoors I do a lot of soccer and swimming and will be adding football to the list this fall (some night games too). Which would be a better combo:

1) Canon 85mm f/1.8 + Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
2) Canon 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS by itself
3) Canon 135 f/2 + 1.4X converter
4) ????

I'm trying to stay under $1k total so anything above the non-IS by Canon is right out. I figure the zooms would be better for most of the sports I do than the 135, The 85mm would be good for the basketball, I know how to foot zoom so that's not an issue.

Sony A7RIII | Zeiss Loxia 21mm f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 | Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 | Voigtlander 65mm f/2 APO | Voigtlander 110mm f/2.8 APO

iqbal624
Goldmember
1,574 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 07, 2011 09:00 |  #2

I think the first choice is a very good option.

Theres also a seller selling the combo in the fs forums now. (not me or anyone I know. Just saw the post).

I like the idea of having two different tools in your bag. Being able to get to 1.8 is really handy. Also, neither the sigma nor the canon have a
Is and the sigma is a good lens optically. I do not know about the sigmas focus speed so you would either have to do some searching about that or wait for someone to post.

I would cut the 135L out as thats just way to long on a cropper to have as your only tele...

5d2 | | 50L | 28 1.8 | |
MacBook Pro 15 |

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 07, 2011 09:12 |  #3

Indoor Basketball? EF 85/1.8 for sure.

GEAR LIST

wnichols
THREAD ­ STARTER
177 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 07, 2011 09:12 |  #4

That's what I was leaning towards also. I've had the 85 once before and really liked it. Just wasn't sure of the quality/performance differences between the Canon & Sigma zooms myself. That combo for sale in the forums is what got me to thinking actually. Another thing I like about the 85 is using it indoors at church/school performances and it not being a big white tank attracting attention like the L does.

Sony A7RIII | Zeiss Loxia 21mm f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 | Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 | Voigtlander 65mm f/2 APO | Voigtlander 110mm f/2.8 APO

jj_glos
Goldmember
1,938 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 07, 2011 09:32 |  #5

I've got the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and I've been really pleased with its performance. I did buy it to try it out with a view to moving it on and buying the Canon version eventually, but until the release of the Canon mkII I saw no reason to. I use it for sports, mainly for Rugby which is played under floodlights at this time of year, no complaints from me (lens has been used on a 500D, 40D, 50D, 7D and a 1D3).

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

941 views & 0 likes for this thread
85 1.8/sigma 70-200 2.8 combo or canon 70-200 2.8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.