Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Sep 2005 (Monday) 12:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Donington - Shooting locations

iwatkins
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Sep 12, 2005 12:33 |  #1

Hi All,

Not been to Donington in a very long time (over 2 years now I think). But I'm due there on Saturday to shoot two cars taking part in the Tuner GP. I believe they are using the National circuit.

Where are the best places to shoot from now, or have they not changed ? One of my favorite places used to be just before the spitfire but I'm told there has been a lot of barrier/debris fencing work in recent years.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

sponsored links
MiG
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 12, 2005 16:17 |  #2

was there on sat/sun for the renault weekend, around the spitfire still the best place to shoot (good view as the cars come down hollywood craner into the old hairpin) only other vantage point was past the high fences at redgate looking down to goddards.

KennyG
Goldmember
2,252 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Sep 13, 2005 13:37 |  #3

One of the reasons you never see Donington on my itinerary these days is it is simply horrible to work at, even accredited. Before the Spit and a couple of hundred yards after it where the fence ends (pan shots only I'm afraid). Take a step ladder and shoot over the fence at Redgate (no, I'm not joking, people have done it). Glenn goes there a fair amount and I know he isn't keen on the place, but he knows it well.

Ken
Professional Motorsport Photographer
2 x 1D MK-II, 7D, 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L,
300 2.8L IS, 500 4.0L IS, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, 1.4 & 2.0 MK-II TC.

Cadwell
Cream of the Crop
7,333 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Sep 13, 2005 13:59 as a reply to  @ KennyG's post |  #4

Hi Ian. Ken is right, I absolutely hate the place from a photographers point of view. I often wonder why I bother taking the cameras along at all when I go there.

Assuming you're limited to the public side of the fence, then my favourite (least hated) spot is on the infield just past the spark plug before the big debris fence shooting back towards the old hairpin. You can do pans, three quarters shots and with a very long lens (500mm + 1.4x TC) or cropping a lot, you can get an almost head-on shot there. Round by the Spitfire is OK... but the cars tend to be running down hill there and look a little un-natural. Pans are OK there.

If you can get trackside then the final chicane before the pit straight is the place to be.

Glenn
My Pictures: Motorsport (external link)/Canoe Polo (external link)/Other Stuff (external link)

iwatkins
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Sep 13, 2005 14:59 |  #5

Thank you everyone, just the information I needed. :)

My accreditation come through this morning :)

I'll do as best a job as I can.

Cheers

Ian

Fireblade
91 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 14, 2005 11:48 as a reply to  @ iwatkins's post |  #6

Search and ye shall find :) ,

I'm going to Donington for the BSB next week and wanted to know where to go. If someone doesn't mind answering... where is the spitfire? I have only seen Donington on a playstation:D

Shay.

http://www.sportspix.i​e/ (external link)

despot
966 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 14, 2005 14:10 as a reply to  @ Fireblade's post |  #7

Fireblade wrote:
Search and ye shall find :) ,
I'm going to Donington for the BSB next week and wanted to know where to go. If someone doesn't mind answering... where is the spitfire? I have only seen Donington on a playstation:D
Shay.

Craner Curves

Andy

http://motorsports.fot​opic.net (external link)
http://trackdays.fotop​ic.net (external link)

Fireblade
91 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 14, 2005 16:51 as a reply to  @ despot's post |  #8

despot wrote:
Craner Curves

Andy

Thanks Andy

http://www.sportspix.i​e/ (external link)

Dave_G
Goldmember
3,621 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 20, 2005 09:07 |  #9

last time I was there it had a wing missing too.

Skoda Fabia vRS SE| Don't make a 70-200 thread | Pan Master™ © Allen Mead | Skodalover |Hippopotomonstrosesqui​ppedaliophobia- Fear of long words... | now with 17s, a turbo, rear tints, dual climate, cruise... must be a new company car

Cadwell
Cream of the Crop
7,333 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Sep 20, 2005 13:37 as a reply to  @ Dave_G's post |  #10

Dave_G wrote:
last time I was there it had a wing missing too.

It's been gradually falling apart for years...

Glenn
My Pictures: Motorsport (external link)/Canoe Polo (external link)/Other Stuff (external link)

KennyG
Goldmember
2,252 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Sep 20, 2005 16:31 as a reply to  @ Cadwell's post |  #11

Cadwell wrote:
It's been gradually falling apart for years...

So am I

Ken
Professional Motorsport Photographer
2 x 1D MK-II, 7D, 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L,
300 2.8L IS, 500 4.0L IS, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, 1.4 & 2.0 MK-II TC.

Dave_G
Goldmember
3,621 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 20, 2005 18:27 |  #12

think I'll do this too. (slowly fall apart that is)

Skoda Fabia vRS SE| Don't make a 70-200 thread | Pan Master™ © Allen Mead | Skodalover |Hippopotomonstrosesqui​ppedaliophobia- Fear of long words... | now with 17s, a turbo, rear tints, dual climate, cruise... must be a new company car

sponsored links

2,504 views & 0 likes for this thread
Donington - Shooting locations
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.