Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 Jan 2011 (Saturday) 11:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please help me!! Im about to set this printer on fire...cropping issue.

MindlessConsumer
308 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 08, 2011 11:42 |  #1

I hate wasting expensive paper and ink :(

Ive made two prints of this image:

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5043/5336486608_805128ff92_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/54805847@N06/5​336486608/  (external link)
NewNorthMarket (external link) by Friedrich Neeeetzche (external link), on Flickr

Im using Canon's Easy Photo-print EX printing application. When printing, I can choose (for full size images) either "Border" or "Borderless".

When I choose "border", the border is way too big.

And here is the real problem that has me wanting to pull my hair out in clumps:

When I choose "Borderless", it hacks off the ends of my image! Which are important to me to have in the print.

Here is a screenshot showing where it is forcing a crop:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i148.photobucke​t.com …t2011-01-08at121813PM.png (external link)

What is killing me is that the left in right margins get locked in place. I NEED the entire length of the image.

I know there will be white borders above and below the image because I cropped out about 15% off of the bottom of the original image (but increased the canvas size height by adding strips of white split going left and right at the top and bottom), I don't mind them, but it is cutting the sides off of my image and there doesn't seem to be a way to stop it from doing this :(

I have to have this printed today :(

ANY advice or help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks so much!

sponsored links
MindlessConsumer
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 08, 2011 12:22 |  #2

Rimmer wrote in post #11598735 (external link)
A few questions:

What editing software are you using?

PhotoShop CS3

Your image is 3:2. Are you printing on paper with that aspect ratio?

What paper is 3:2 beside 4x6 and 10x20?

The paper is 8.5 x 11 (I didn't expect it to fill up the paper). I thought it would extend the image to the edge of the paper longways and leave white at the top and bottom, but it is making the image lager than the paper longways and leaving just a little bit of room at the top and bottom white.

Is there a sizing option that will resize the image in inches that I could just type the paper size into?

Or how do I calculate how to resize an image for printing on a certain size paper?

Thanks for your patience (I hope it is obvious how new I am to printing).

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 08, 2011 12:31 |  #3

Why not print straight from PSCS3? Then you can choose "Scale to fit media" in the print dialog box. (older screenshot, so ignore the markings)

IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20091121-b8bn7yudpaqnndmmcnbj9qfbss.jpg

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 08, 2011 12:33 |  #4

[Oops, I was going to edit my last post and ended up deleting it by mistake. Here goes...]

Hmmm... I suspect (just a guess) that either you haven't actually increased the canvas size, or haven't increased it enough. I only have Elements, but I think the procedure is essentially the same as for full PS. Also, I'm on the wrong computer right now so will have to go from memory.

Start with the image itself, not the version that you added white to. Select the crop tool and set it for the paper size and ppi that you want. Now draw a crop box anywhere inside the image, doesn't matter where or how large. (Typically, when first drawing the box you can't extend it outside the image.) Now the trick -- grab a corner of the crop box and drag it outside the image. Next, enlarge the box by dragging the corners until it encompasses the entire image. Of course, it will also extend beyond the image on the top and bottom. Now press accept/OK. You should get the image "cropped" to full size plus additional canvas top and bottom, and the new version of the image will be the correct aspect ratio. Oh, yeah, be sure you foreground/background are set to defaults (black/white) so that the new canvas area appears as white.

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

canon ­ shooter
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 08, 2011 12:37 as a reply to  @ Rimmer's post |  #5

I agree, why not print from CS3, but before printing crop the image to the size of print you want. You may also be getting cut off due to the size you are trying to print.

Jim

5D Mark III Grip, 40D Grip, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, Canon 70-200 IS II F2.8L, Canon 100-400L, Canon 50 F1.4, Canon 100 F2.8, Canon 580 EX
It's the Glass that Counts!

ncjohn
749 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 08, 2011 16:30 as a reply to  @ canon shooter's post |  #6

The problem is not your printer, it's Easy Photo-print EX (same with EPP Pro). They don't know how to do borderless prints unless you choose a standard size. (Verified this with Canon support.) I wasted tons of time, money, and energy on this a few months back, finally gave up and blew off EPP and now I just print from Elements. Just print from PS and everything will be fine.

MindlessConsumer
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 08, 2011 19:54 |  #7

My issue is that I cant tell PS which tray to get paper from. The paper cassette under the printer just has regular printing paper in it. it is the rear tray that holds the photo paper. When I attemp to print it from PS, it will only use cheap printer paper.

Edit: I figured it out. I now know how to get the correct paper selected.

sponsored links

1,471 views & 0 likes for this thread
Please help me!! Im about to set this printer on fire...cropping issue.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.