Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk 
Thread started 09 Jan 2011 (Sunday) 00:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good 4x5 B/W film?

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 09, 2011 00:12 |  #1

Okay...right now I'm enrolled in a "large format" view camera course. The local camera supply store has a limited selection of 4x5 films, so I'm trying to decide what to use early, since I may end up having to order it.

Anyway, one of the restrictions for the course is that we have to use ISO/ASA 400 film. I believe the only 400 black and white film that the local shop has in the 4x5 format is the Ilford HP5. I worked with HP5 on 35 mm and it was okay, but I much preferred the Kodak T-Max 400.

So I'm probably just going to order a crapload of 4x5 T-Max 400 film. I liked the film for 35 mm, I'm assuming that I'll like it for 4x5 format. My only question is...are there any extra considerations I should think about when using large format?

For example, in 35 mm, I never really screwed around much with variations in development. I'd always have multiple pictures on a single roll, so it didn't make much sense to give the entire roll N+2 development just for one shot. So I always just pretty much kept development the same. But now seeing that I'm hypothetically going to actually be able to do unique processing for individual images, does T-Max 400 film work well in those situations? Does it respond well to pushing and pulling? Am I going to see film grain exceed beyond acceptable tolerances before I get the desired change in negative densities?

Those are just a couple of EXAMPLES of questions. But it basically boils down to...when I shot T-Max 400 film on 35 mm, I loved it. But I was also really only developing it one particular way. Now that I'm planning on using the film differently (in 4x5), are there any problems with T-Max 400 film that are likely to arise as a result of me using it differently?

I found T-Max 400 to be a very good 400 speed 35 mm film. But is it a good film for 4x5 format photography, in which I'm planning on making lots of variations on development?

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 09, 2011 15:21 |  #2

B&W film prices are about to go up substantially because of the silver market.

Just about any 4x5 B&W film is going to give you fantastic results. Arista is repackaged Foma from what I understand. But the TMAX T-grain films are pretty nice - and with a price to go with it. As always with B&W, most of the control is during exposure and development, so depending on your needs you'll want to select particular developers to control contrast, density, d-max, etc.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Buster6X6
115 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 21, 2011 22:01 as a reply to  @ post 11679051 |  #3

You can also try: www.APUG.org (external link)

"Buying a Canon 5DII+70-200 f2.8 lens does not make you a photographer It make you a Canon owner";)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,572 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good 4x5 B/W film?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.