Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Sep 2005 (Monday) 19:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #32: Point - Counterpoint

MegaTrixel
580 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Sep 12, 2005 19:10 |  #1

Here're results for POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #32: Point - Counterpoint

Thanks to all who entered the contest this week! And thanks to BottomBracket and Zero for helping me close the contest.

I’d like to repeat what Boutty said last week in his opening comments, “As I considered myself very green in this, please don't take my opinion too seriously”. In fact, I encourage everyone to share their thoughts as to their favorite photos. I won’t be offended if your opinions don’t match mine… in fact, I may learn something.

Ok, here goes.

The runners up...

CobaltSS - HYPNOTIQ
Welcome to the forum! I hope this is the first of many speed challenges you enter. Your photo was certainly a contender for a top spot because the subject captures the essence of this week’s competition with the two bottles of opposing size. The bottles are beautiful, but in a photo like this one, where you are in complete control over everything, I’d prefer more control over the background. The deck railing, the bright patch of overcast sky, the overall “back deck” scene take away from the subject. Perhaps a solid, evenly colored, nondescript, or even out-of-focus background would be better.

abat – Different Trains of Thought
I love this photograph! When I look at this photograph it gets me to wonder and to think and to chuckle, so it’s made it’s mark with me. The woman’s expression is great. All of us have photographed someone and caught them in an awkward facial moment. But I can’t decide if that’s the case here or if she was just in this frame of mind. I think this is a top photograph, but I guess I feel that there are others that meet the theme of the challenge a little better (at least for me).

Boutty – Litter
Another well executed photo. It’s crisp and clean and very detailed. Contrasting the beauty of nature with the ugliness and sadness of the litter is an excellent study of opposites! But the photo only shows ½ of the story… the trashy side. And only by your description do I learn about the opposing beauty of the surroundings. Somehow, I think the two should have been joined together in the photograph.

partridge9 – Industry Against Nature
Like Boutty’s shot, contrasting the beautiful with the not-so-beautiful, nature versus industry, is an excellent way to interpret the theme of opposites. The composition is wonderful. I like the area where the waves have just receded. The photo leads my eye from front to back and has a nice “rule of thirds”. But the lighting is pretty harsh and the photo seems overexposed, especially in the sky. I’d like to see the same composition photographed either in early morning or late evening.

rpolitsr - Highly Contradictory
Who is that person in the very colorful clothes? A student? A performer? The contrast in clothing between the soldier and this other person is indeed “highly contradictory”. You did an excellent job controlling depth-of-field; I think the blurred background was an excellent choice. This one is near the top three in my list. I keep thinking that I wish I could see their faces.

Belga – Beacon of Light
Good luck to you! If I were in a tense or unstable environment I would sure want a beacon of light to help guide the way. This is a nice night time scene. To me it almost looks serene and in that way, it contrasts with the tense political environment. But if I were to look at this photograph without having read your description I don’t think I would have put those two opposites together.

marie – Street Harmony
A lovely shot. You have a great feel for when to pull the trigger on your street candid shots. What a beautiful smile on the woman with the violin. The contrast in size of the musical instruments meets the theme of opposites. Do you usually get your candids with just one shot? Or do you set it to high-speed and shoot rapid fire to help ensure you get the right moment? I know the background can’t be helped on this type of shot. Not without a lot of ps anyway. Very nice.

My Top Three...

Third Place: InJapan - Before and After
I have a soft spot for rural subjects. And this shot offers a unique perspective on the theme of opposites; a before and after view of the harvest. The deep depth-of-field certainly helps the continuity between the drying rice and the next field to be harvested. I’d like to see this picture shot under late evening light.

Second Place: BottomBracket - Longing of the Unfortunate Audiophile
This picture has truly nailed the theme of opposites. Rich vs. poor, haves and have-nots. This is a nice social commentary piece. I suppose we don’t know for certain what’s going through his mind… maybe he’s thinking he’d get better equipment at the “2005 – Best of New York” :)

1st Place: Bryan Bedell – Drum Circle
Wow! Awesome shot! And one that conveys the opposites theme on multiple levels. The professional vs. the amateur, the child vs. the man, the black vs. the white, the old vs. the young. And your daughter’s smile is adorable! Nicely done!

Congratulations to all who entered!!!

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #32: Point -Counterpoint

Challenge #32 is Point - Counterpoint

A study in opposites!

Any photo exploring opposites will do. Something large vs. something small, something happy vs. something sad, a glass full vs. a glass empty, etc.

Be creative! Take care to pay attention to the background and make sure it doesn't take away from the subject.

Hope you have fun with this one. See you next Monday.

To submit, click "Post Reply" and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, Sept. 19, 2005.

Host: MegaTrixel_______________

Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging" (about a third of the way down the page). Thank you.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- photos must be taken with a
Canon G-Series Camera (G1,G2,G3,G5,G6) or Pro 1.

2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken
at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.

3. Size -- photo must be
EXACTLY 640 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS. Odd-sized photos ineligible.

4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.

5. Posting --

• ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.
  • Photo Name in the message subject line.
  • Camera model.
6. Photographer's Notes -- Name and camera are are you need, but you're welcome to add a story, location, photo tips, brief EXIF data.

No Commenting by others -- When the posting is closed, comments can be made in this thread.

Time
One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.
Hosting

1. The Challenge Host is the winner of the last challenge.
2. Choose a topic and list any special rules -- but DO NOT POST a photo. 3. Post the topic in a thread with this title: “POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #XX -- [TOPIC]
4. At the end of competition, choose a Winner and two Runners-up and explain why the photos were selected. Comments on other photos are nice but not required.
5. Post these in a thread titled “POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #XX -- [TOPIC] -- Winners.”
6. Winner starts with Rule #1 above.
7. If the winner can't be contacted and doesn't respond by Wednesday noon GMT, the second-place winner will host the challenge.

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
[B]
  • New Topic ... Tuesday by midnight GMT.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday Noon GMT
  • Winner Announcement ... Monday by midnight GMT.
Past winners:

#032 - Point/Counterpoint - Bryan Bedell, BottomBracket, InJapan
#031 - Hobby - MegaTrixel, Zero, abat
#030 - History - Boutty, abat, teekay
#029 - Toys - In Japan, HungryWriter, Don Ellis
#028 - Taken Within 50cm of the Ground - BottomBracket, Marie, Megatrixel
#027 - Self Portrait - abat, rpolitsr, HungryWriter
#026 - Personal Treasures – Boutty, in Japan, HungryWriter
#025 - Wheels – Zero, Boutty, Teekay
#024 - Street Candids - rpolitsr, in Japan, txfirebug
#023 - Religion - marie, in japan , megatrixel
#022 - Animals - monkey_wrench, jesshen, fooboy
#021 - Night Shots - bang, KingSize, abat
#020 - Food - sara, abat, gewb
#019 - Shoes – Boutty, partridge9, morrisman
#018 - Blowing in the Wind - In Japan, Txfirebug, Gewb
#017 - Rain - marie, Boutty, Tonyq
#016 - Reflections - abat, Boutty, IainB
#015 - Spheres - digidog, (2) Boutty, (2) Thefly, (2) Bottombracket, (3) marie, (3) gkunning
#014 - Trees - partridge9, cyclone, Boutty
#013 - Body Language - digidog, Dchemist, Bottom Bracket
#012 - Light & Dark - IainB, cyclone, (3) teekay, (3) bottombracket
#011 - Transportation - 4nr, digidog, IainB
#010 - Making Music - Bottom Bracket, gkuenning, (3)Alexandre Gabriel, (3)pushtoexit
#009 - Hands - IainB, txfirebug, Dbump
#008 - Stop Action - Partridge9, Marie, Bottom Bracket,Thefly
#007 - Red - Pushtoexit, Marie, IainB, Megatrixel
#006 - Pencil - theFly, am_pitbull_terrier, bottombracket
#005 - An Egg - Don Ellis, Megatrixel/Samerj, Rich Lawrence
#004 - Old People - teekay, raj, thefly
#003 - Passage of Time - Booyah, Don Ellis, Rich Lawrence
#002 - Joy - TeeKay, Rich Lawrence, Pradeep1
#001 - Speed - BottomBracket, SmartImport, Rich Lawrence

Avalanche!!! And Other Alaska Images (external link)

sponsored links
CobaltSS
130 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 14, 2005 12:35 |  #2

Baby HPNOTIQ

This is my first entry into a G-Series Speed Challenge. I am also a beginning photographer but I still wanted to give it a shot.

Name: Robert Yurchison

Camera:Canon PowerShot G6
Exposure:0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture:f/4
Focal Length:7.2 mm
Exposure Bias:0/3 EV
Flash:Flash did not fire, auto mode

IMAGE: http://static.flickr.com/26/43307823_80340d0c2a.jpg

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon PowerShot SX30 IS | Canon PowerShot SX210 IS
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon Speedlite 580EX II | Canon BG-E6 Battery Grip | Manfrotto 055XPROB w/ 322RC2 Ballhead | Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW Backpack

abat
355 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Sep 14, 2005 15:54 as a reply to  @ CobaltSS's post |  #3

Different trains of thought

Not sure how neatly this fits into the theme but to me "counterpoint" is a musical term and I can't help thinking of the music of JS Bach where different trains of musical thought (opposites) are intertwined into a greater overall journey. This photo snapped yesterday seemed to sum that up for me - two people, completely oblivious to each other (opposites) sharing a common (physical) journey.

G5 - f5.6, 1/8 sec, ISO400

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

G5, 30D, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Kenko 1.4x and 420EX.

Boutty
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 14, 2005 20:38 as a reply to  @ abat's post |  #4

Litter

Last week I found a place, which I thought, has the most beautiful surrounding scenery to photograph. To my amazement, I found this on the stairs leading down to the boat house and river. It's a contradicting part of human nature I wanted to show.

G6

HOSTED PHOTO

partridge9
90 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 14, 2005 21:28 |  #5

Industry Against Nature

G3

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon G3

Bryan ­ Bedell
377 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 17, 2005 12:40 |  #6

Drum Circle

Old meets young.
Black meets white.
Rhythm meets noise. : )

My daughter at the Oak Park farmers' market drum circle, this morning.

G6'ed!

IMAGE: http://www.2strokebuzz.com/potn/mkdrum.jpg

rpolitsr
5,978 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 17, 2005 15:02 |  #7

highly contradictory

highly contradictory

Powershot Pro1 Shooting mode: ProgramAE, 1/200 sec. f 4.0, ISO 50

IMAGE: http://sites.google.com/site/rpolitsr/r_polit/varios/onthenet/counterpoint3827_640.jpg

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Belga
28 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 18, 2005 04:43 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #8

Beacon of Light - G6

I am currently in Ivory Coast on business. Due to the political instability one does not get chance to really take photos. Took this one out of my hotel window. For one not knowing the city, this beacon of light will definitely help finding your direction.

TV - 15 secs
AV - 5
ISO - 50

HOSTED PHOTO

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Sep 18, 2005 19:24 as a reply to  @ Belga's post |  #9

street harmony

:( (background could not be avoided)
:rolleyes:
:)
G2 1/125 f2

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

in ­ Japan
185 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 18, 2005 23:23 |  #10

Before and After

Left: Rice hanging to dry.
Right: The leftover stalks from the harvested rice.
Background: The next rice field to be harvested.

G6

HOSTED PHOTO

There's no day but today.

BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 18, 2005 23:55 |  #11

Longing of the Unfortunate Audiophile

G6

Poverty and luxury coexist in the city.

HOSTED PHOTO

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

MegaTrixel
THREAD ­ STARTER
580 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Sep 19, 2005 01:13 as a reply to  @ marie's post |  #12

Hello everyone.

I just now looked up GMT and compared it to my local time and realized that 12 noon, GMT is 4am for me.:eek: :( I wish I could say I'm a morning person but alas... it's not true.:rolleyes:

So.... if everyone could please calculate the GMT for yourself and please do not submit a photo after Monday, 12 noon GMT.:)

Or ... if anyone out there could be so kind as to post a closing notice for me.... that would be great!!!:D :D

I'll do my best to get the results posted in a timely manner!

BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 19, 2005 07:33 |  #13

Ok, I'll do it. It is now 8:30 am Eastern Time, which means it is past 12 noon GMT. As per James' request, I am now closing the challenge. Let's all wait for James' results.

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

Zero
73 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 19, 2005 07:40 as a reply to  @ MegaTrixel's post |  #14

Well, as I just missed posting my photo - since it is 12:39 GMT, and MegaTrixel is sleeping...

The POTN G-Series is now closed for this week.

Regards all,
zero

MegaTrixel
THREAD ­ STARTER
580 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Sep 19, 2005 17:07 |  #15

Results have been posted!

Congratulation Bryan Bedell, BottomBracket, and InJapan!

sponsored links

15,140 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #32: Point - Counterpoint
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.