Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Jan 2011 (Monday) 11:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T2i Display Problem

teri.lyn
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 10, 2011 11:30 |  #1

I have had my T2i for 3 weeks and now when when I turn it on the screen is randomly black, I have to press the live view button in order for the screen to display anything, when I press the live view mode again it displays the settings screen like it is suppose to. Has any one else had any problems, any ideas on what is wrong? -Thanks

sponsored links
robertwsimpson
Goldmember
2,461 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 10, 2011 11:36 |  #2

try pushing the display button.

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,873 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 10, 2011 11:36 |  #3

The display can be accidentally switched off by pressing the "disp" button once too often. That's the first item to check.

teri.lyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 10, 2011 11:39 |  #4

Thanks, I thought that was the problem at first, however I am sorry I forget to mention that it is a random problem. :(

ranger50
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 10, 2011 11:47 |  #5

teri.lyn wrote in post #11610961 (external link)
I have had my T2i for 3 weeks and now when when I turn it on the screen is randomly black, I have to press the live view button in order for the screen to display anything, when I press the live view mode again it displays the settings screen like it is suppose to. Has any one else had any problems, any ideas on what is wrong? -Thanks

Do you have an info button? I cant remember if my T2i had one or not. If so, try working with that a bit, and maybe it will help.

EOS 60D/ 70-200L/ Sunpak PF30X/ Sunpak 6600PG platinum Plus ball head Tripod 59.95 / Pelican S.S. Large Military Camera case
It's better to have it and not need it, Than to need it, and not have it.;)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 10, 2011 12:59 |  #6

Ummm...it's supposed to do that.
Absolutely nothing is wrong with your camera.
My guess is that you're coming from a p&s where you had an image constantly on display.
It won't show an image on the rear screen until after you've taken a pic and it shows the preview image or unless you have it set on live view.

DSLRs are designed to look through the viewfinder to see what you are photographing.

Maybe it's time to go back and read through your user manual - thoroughly.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

kendon
839 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 10, 2011 13:28 |  #7

is the proximity sensor ok? the two black rectangles just below the viewfinder, maybe dirty or something.

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200/4 IS, NiftyFifty, 580EXII, Σ 30 EX DC, Walimex 8mm Fisheye, MD Rokkor 50/1.4, BendyCam (external link), Gallery (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 10, 2011 19:16 |  #8

philwillmedia wrote in post #11611422 (external link)
My guess is that you're coming from a p&s where you had an image constantly on display.
It won't show an image on the rear screen until after you've taken a pic and it shows the preview image or unless you have it set on live view.

DSLRs are designed to look through the viewfinder to see what you are photographing.

Good call Phil..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

teri.lyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 10, 2011 22:11 |  #9

philwillmedia wrote in post #11611422 (external link)

Sorry, I don't think that is the case as I DO understand how DSLRs work! I also think that if you would take the time to reread the post I was not wanting to see my "image" but wanted to see my "settings".

Tonight I decide to take the camera back to the Canon dealership to see what they had to say. They ALSO could not figure out why it was doing this so it has been sent into Canon for repair.

teri.lyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 10, 2011 22:14 |  #10

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to answer my question. I am sad that my T2i had to be sent in for repair, hopefully it will not take the 4-6 weeks that they said it would to get it back.

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 10, 2011 23:22 |  #11

Maybe you set the "C.Fn-11 LCD Display when power on" to 1 which is "previous display status".
Normally it's "0" to always show the shooting settings on start-up

If you have "1" set and then shut down the camera when the LCD was in an off mode, the shooting settings will not be displayed again on start-up, instead it will start up in the previous display status which is the "LCD off mode"

It is page 196 of the manual

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 11, 2011 00:03 as a reply to  @ lannes's post |  #12

It always kills me that some people assume that since you own a Rebel you have no clue how the camera works and are a complete noob. Nice elitist attitude.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 11, 2011 01:36 |  #13

teri.lyn wrote in post #11614841 (external link)
I also think that if you would take the time to reread the post I was not wanting to see my "image" but wanted to see my "settings"...

Not only have I re-read your original post, I will quote it here in its entirety

teri.lyn wrote in post #11610961 (external link)

Just where exactly do you specifically say that you are wanting to see your settings?
Did I miss that bit?
You just say that when you "turn it on the screen is randomly black" and " I have to press the live view button in order for the screen to display anything, when I press the live view mode again it displays the settings screen like it is suppose to."
Nowhere do you say that it is the settings you are wanting to see.
If you are asking for assistance for something specific, be specific.
There's plenty of help to be had here. We may be good, but however we are not psychic.

As for this

lostpacket wrote in post #11615455 (external link)
It always kills me that some people assume that since you own a Rebel you have no clue how the camera works and are a complete noob. Nice elitist attitude.

You couldn't be more wrong.
I may not own a Rebel, but have access to several (300d, 350d, 400d, 450d) and use them often enough as a third camera when shooting events where I may need extra hardware, so as far as having an elitist attitude you need to re-adjust your thinking.
I don't give a $hit what camera somebody uses. If they want some assistance and I think I can help, I will.
If the OP had made a more detailed question about what it was they were specifically asking and not a vague and clueless monolougue that left the reader to guess what they wanted they would have received better information.
To paraphrase yourself, it always kills me when someone who thinks they know what they're talking about opens their mouth and promptly puts both feet in it.
Apart from posting to attack me, and offering no assistance to the OP, what would your advice have been to the OP to help solve their problem.
Really interested to hear this.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,408 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 11, 2011 01:54 |  #14

kendon wrote in post #11611589 (external link)
is the proximity sensor ok? the two black rectangles just below the viewfinder, maybe dirty or something.

not sure about "dirty or something" but I just had a quick squiz at the manual to see what that was about and there appears to be a sensor that turns the LCD display off when "your eye nears the viewfinder eyepiece"
I take it that the sensor can't tell if it's your eye, your hand or any other appendage? :p

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

stevewf1
770 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 11, 2011 03:17 |  #15

lostpacket wrote in post #11615455 (external link)

+1

There's an old fogey saying... "it ain't what you say, it's the way you say it".

Steve

sponsored links

12,800 views & 0 likes for this thread
T2i Display Problem
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.