Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your setup and the final result!

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 08, 2011 18:59 |  #2686

thanks for the reply. My feeling on it (or at least with the movie theater shot) is that you should have included more people scattered around. I think you should either leave it bare of people or have it filled with people (or as many as looks natural without block the architecture.) I totally understand about the realism part and adding people certainly add to that. Adding, say 2-3 groups of people to that cinema shot would be ideal IMO.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

sponsored links
jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 08, 2011 19:49 |  #2687

mikekelley wrote in post #13372565 (external link)
Just been doing it a little more lately. I can include them or get rid of them with the click of a button, they're just a layer in photoshop - but the thing is - I think it would look a little weird if I had a movie theatre completely devoid of people, you know? Like, here's a place that people are supposed to come and have a good time, yet it's completely free of people. A house exterior I can understand there not being people, though. And architecture is all about human interaction with the piece, so I figure I'd try it out. I have only done it a couple times but in this case, I also think the people help to break up the expanse of cement in front of the camera and add some motion and interest to an otherwise expansive shot.

I'm not really sure what I think of it either - I think it works in this shot, but like I said it's something I don't have much experience with, so I'm totally open to others' feelings on it.

I agree with including people in scenes where they belong. And of course the blurred people make a lot of sense. If your client uses the image for advertising, you don't have to get releases signed by the people. If you can't tell who they are...no need for a release! I got a shot of the Arkansas State welcome center near my town a few months back. It was after hours, sun setting. Everyone here loved it so I offered the image to the State of Arkansas to use in their printed material or postcards. Their response was the image was "too artsy" they would rather see people walking on the sidewalk and vehicles in the parking lot! So yeah I totally see you including people interacting with the business!

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

Paulos75
541 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 09, 2011 00:19 |  #2688

mikekelley wrote in post #13369580 (external link)
Paulos, very cool shot!

Setup:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …ichaelpkelley/6​325567772/  (external link)
Picture 1 (external link) by mike kelley / mpkelley.com (external link), on Flickr

Thanks Mike, I'm a huge fan of your work. That setup shot is awesome on its own:D

adamsheehy wrote in post #13369949 (external link)
Ha! I'm not sure which is a more impressive shot - the close up or catching the camera catching the close up.

aaron.dunlap wrote in post #13370042 (external link)
My guess is that he had a remote to trigger both cameras at the same time.

Thanks, Adam.
He he Aaron, with these shots it's the flash that "freezes the action" so you don't need to worry too much about timing with a fairly long shutter speed. Got it right after a couple of tries.

Cheers, Paul.
If it moves, shoot it. If it shoots back, get a bigger lens.
Gear: A slowly but surely growing list of mainly Canon bits and pieces.
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)Facebook (external link)

apixelintime
Goldmember
2,123 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 09, 2011 11:50 |  #2689

jmalonear wrote in post #13373191 (external link)
I agree with including people in scenes where they belong. And of course the blurred people make a lot of sense. If your client uses the image for advertising, you don't have to get releases signed by the people. If you can't tell who they are...no need for a release! I got a shot of the Arkansas State welcome center near my town a few months back. It was after hours, sun setting. Everyone here loved it so I offered the image to the State of Arkansas to use in their printed material or postcards. Their response was the image was "too artsy" they would rather see people walking on the sidewalk and vehicles in the parking lot! So yeah I totally see you including people interacting with the business!

Jay - no offense, but you are talking about Arkansas state gubbment...

Christopher Cross | Apixelintime.com | Nightographer.com (coming soon)
Altering reality one pixel at a time.
A clicky thing | Severial twisty things | A couple of flashy things | A bunch of other things
Posing Guide (external link) | Galleries (external link) | flickr (external link) | FaceBook (external link) | Blog (external link)

MinnGreenGT
281 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 09, 2011 12:09 |  #2690

Just been doing it a little more lately. I can include them or get rid of them with the click of a button, they're just a layer in photoshop - but the thing is - I think it would look a little weird if I had a movie theatre completely devoid of people, you know? Like, here's a place that people are supposed to come and have a good time, yet it's completely free of people. A house exterior I can understand there not being people, though. And architecture is all about human interaction with the piece, so I figure I'd try it out. I have only done it a couple times but in this case, I also think the people help to break up the expanse of cement in front of the camera and add some motion and interest to an otherwise expansive shot.

I'm not really sure what I think of it either - I think it works in this shot, but like I said it's something I don't have much experience with, so I'm totally open to others' feelings on it.

There was just recently a post on Strobist about this subject - specifically relating to travel-type photography: http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com …assignment-4-results.html (external link)

"People are important subjects in travel packages. They allow us to better imagine ourselves in the destination, or simply to get a start on the people-watching we will certainly be doing while there.

Even landscapes and lodging photos will usually have a person shoehorned in there somehow. They are our surrogates, and are very important."

|
Canon EOS 5Dmk2 | Canon 50mm 1.8 |
Canon 85mm 1.8 | Sigma 15-30mm | Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 | Bag-O-Cheap-Tricks |

mikeweddle22795
181 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 09, 2011 16:49 |  #2691

I have really been wanting to do this but i have some questions.
1) can this be done with a canon t1i?
2)How do you make the water look so blue?

Ross Murray wrote in post #11652133 (external link)
Great thread! Very interesting to see how people set up for their shots.
I'll offer my contribution:

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 09, 2011 16:54 |  #2692

apixelintime wrote in post #13376113 (external link)
Jay - no offense, but you are talking about Arkansas state gubbment...

lol...true!

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 09, 2011 16:55 |  #2693

mikeweddle22795 wrote in post #13377616 (external link)
1) can this be done with a canon t1i?

Nope. It doesn't have the "water droplet" mode on the higher level cameras.

(Yes. But you need a lens that focuses closely enough).

mikeweddle22795 wrote in post #13377616 (external link)
2)How do you make the water look so blue?

Flash gels, blue food coloring, or something blue.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

The ­ Ran
Goldmember
1,555 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 09, 2011 18:08 |  #2694

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #13377632 (external link)
Flash gels, blue food coloring, or something blue.

Or Photoshop ;)

Gear List

juanpafer
Goldmember
1,862 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2009

Nov 09, 2011 18:13 |  #2695

Probably the easiest way is to have a blue background.

Juan

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 09, 2011 19:03 |  #2696

The Ran wrote in post #13377937 (external link)
Or Photoshop ;)

Yeah, but that's cheating :p.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

Damon-Taj
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 09, 2011 21:14 |  #2697

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #13378222 (external link)
Yeah, but that's cheating :p.

It's only cheating if you get caught

Blazeneon
62 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 11, 2011 00:41 |  #2698

Can somebody make this thread a sticky please? Who's with me? :)

Thanks!

|[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Blue​]EOS 7D[COLOR=Red]|[COLOR=B​lue]EOS 30D|
|EF50mm f1.4|EF-S60mm|
EF-S15-85mm|EF100-400mm L|
|Photoshop CS5|Lightroom 4|

Crazy_Guitar
616 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 11, 2011 05:28 |  #2699

Mike, I completely understand you. I think moving people tend to "humanize" the picture, making it "human friendly".

However... I don't quite like the result on this one. Perhaps have "moving people" elsewhere?
I don't really know, but I don't quite like the "where" on this photo. Perhaps having "moving people" on that esplanade/porch?

PLEASE don't take my comments as an offence, PLEASE!!!
I am truly an admirer of your work and, I must say, you are inspiring me a lot to become an architechture photographer! ;)

50D | 1000D | 30V | 17-40L | 18-55 USM | 24-105L | 28 2.8 | 50 1.8 II | 70-300 IS | 580EX II | 430EX II
Complete gear list
The Almighty Gallery (external link)

JackSw1ss
356 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 11, 2011 11:55 as a reply to  @ Crazy_Guitar's post |  #2700

This (final photo is shot from behind the statue...here I was walking around looking for a nice BTS shot)

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6036/6334459851_ecc4282e3b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/gcioffi/6334459​851/  (external link)
IMG_0057.jpg (external link) by Giacomo Cioffi (external link), on Flickr

and this

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6116/6334456301_495492cefd_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/gcioffi/6334456​301/  (external link)
IMG_0021.jpg (external link) by Giacomo Cioffi (external link), on Flickr

combined brought to this

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6220/6335204770_5ca89ce78d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/gcioffi/6335204​770/  (external link)
Catalogo x Flickr5 (external link) by Giacomo Cioffi (external link), on Flickr

which is inside this, an art catalog printed last month...yuppiiii:D

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6184/6143464746_1a0371a2d3_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/gcioffi/6143464​746/  (external link)
Catalog (external link) by Giacomo Cioffi (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

7,649,868 views & 11,637 likes for this thread
Show us your setup and the final result!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.