Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your setup and the final result!

drew
809 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 18, 2013 09:36 |  #6151

tpatana wrote in post #15622392 (external link)
I bet you screwed up the photo several times (bad timing, bad angle, wrong settings on camera etc.), and had to re-take the shoot again. Of course someone needs to empty the glass before re-shoot.

When you make a batch as good as this one is, wasting any is not allowed. I limited myself to a full glass which ended up being four shots. Coincidentally, #1 is the best. :)

7D | EOS M | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM | Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
tpatana
463 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 18, 2013 10:49 |  #6152

drew wrote in post #15623132 (external link)
When you make a batch as good as this one is, wasting any is not allowed. I limited myself to a full glass which ended up being four shots. Coincidentally, #1 is the best. :)

Well.... depending on the disposal method, I might not call it "wasting" :) Unless you get wasted.

Have: Many cameras with some Ls
Kendo.Photography (external link) / Kendo@Facebook (external link) / TeroPhotography.com (external link) / Tero@Facebook (external link) / CF card Speedtest on my gear (external link)

John_N
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 18, 2013 13:58 |  #6153

androostain wrote in post #15620916 (external link)
Cheers John, yeah mate no problem, I've done a couple of step by step tutorials on some other comps I've produced here (external link) and here (external link).

quick explanation:
boost the highlights and shadows in lightroom
open in photoshop: soften the skin then burn the shadows and dodge the highlights (that gives the detail)
save down then reopen in lightroom
boost the clarity slider and slightly desaturate

this techniques relies on having the light just right, I usually have two 430exs through umbrellas left and right of the subjects.

Hope thats of use mate

Thats wonderful, thank you - I'll give that a crack for my next project :)

flickr (external link) (magsnorton)
: Google+ (external link) : My Site (external link) : 5oopx (external link)

Jamooche
513 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 18, 2013 16:15 as a reply to  @ John_N's post |  #6154

I took some studio shots for my girlfriend's mother who plans to sell her knitting on Etsy.com.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Hand Knit By Linda (external link) by jamilabbasy (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Hand Knit By Linda (external link) by jamilabbasy (external link), on Flickr

Many more photos here:

http://www.jamilabbasy​.com/2013/02/hand-knit-by-linda/ (external link)

Setup: 550 EX on left and 430EXII on right with gold difuser on right to give more fill. Flashes were set at 1/8th power. Handheld at 1/125 and f6.3. Knitting styling done by my girlfriend. Everyone is happy with the results, but I think next time I may go to a smaller aperture for more depth. Thanks for any critique!

Oh, and it's really annoying to have to keep turning the flashes off and on again when they time out between shots...have to figure out if there is a setting to prevent this.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

http://www.jamilabbasy​.com (external link) | flickr (external link)

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,257 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 18, 2013 18:20 |  #6155

Jamooche wrote in post #15624610 (external link)
Oh, and it's really annoying to have to keep turning the flashes off and on again when they time out between shots...have to figure out if there is a setting to prevent this.

From looking at the 550EX manual, if the on/off switch is set to SE, power saving is in effect. With the 430EX II, custom function 01 set to 1 will disable auto power off.

Jamooche
513 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 18, 2013 18:58 |  #6156

oldvultureface wrote in post #15625059 (external link)
From looking at the 550EX manual, if the on/off switch is set to SE, power saving is in effect. With the 430EX II, custom function 01 set to 1 will disable auto power off.

Thanks for the response. I guess I should have read the manual. I just figured the 430 didn't have that option. Thanks again!

Jamooche
513 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 18, 2013 19:05 |  #6157

Hinson wrote in post #15619821 (external link)
And that is another point. Most folks these days are not buying prints and mailing to grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. They simply email them or post to their facebook page and family can instantly share them. Let's face it. Who wants to have a shoe-box full of prints that are rarely viewed when they can just upload everything to facebook for the family to view at 72dpi. Absolutely no need for a 20meg image.

I totally agree. My co-worker actually made a good point this week (tangent alert!). When we are great grandparents, no one will be searching through our attic and find some amazing old photos. You won't see our photos for sale at a flea market. If they're not like us who backup everything, print photos, and make books, etc., they will be on some old hard drive or computer that has failed or locked away on some cloud server that we don't know the username / password for. The olden days "we did nothing with our photos" meaning we have negatives and 4x6 prints now means that they are locked away on a computer possibly soon to be forgotten.

Hinson
Goldmember
2,158 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 18, 2013 21:15 |  #6158

Jamooche wrote in post #15625190 (external link)
I totally agree. My co-worker actually made a good point this week (tangent alert!). When we are great grandparents, no one will be searching through our attic and find some amazing old photos. You won't see our photos for sale at a flea market. If they're not like us who backup everything, print photos, and make books, etc., they will be on some old hard drive or computer that has failed or locked away on some cloud server that we don't know the username / password for. The olden days "we did nothing with our photos" meaning we have negatives and 4x6 prints now means that they are locked away on a computer possibly soon to be forgotten.

I'm actually getting ready to have all my old family photos (200-300 prints) scanned and put on disk. At that point, I can go in and tag each image with names/dates then I'll dupe the disk for each of my sons, my sister and her two sons and my wife's family. Everyone will then have copies of the images with names and dates.

I have family photos going back to the 40's that would have no meaning to my family otherwise. Those interested in keeping the family memories will, I'm sure, keep the data updated so that it will be accessible.

Artist tools: Lumix FZ1000 (Canon 60D, 28/2.8, 10-22mm, Tamron 28-300mm VC ALL NOW FOR SALE - REASONABLE OFFER)
Blog: www.jerrywhitephotogra​phy.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

androostain
312 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 19, 2013 08:17 |  #6159

Hinson wrote in post #15625718 (external link)
I'm actually getting ready to have all my old family photos (200-300 prints) scanned and put on disk. At that point, I can go in and tag each image with names/dates then I'll dupe the disk for each of my sons, my sister and her two sons and my wife's family. Everyone will then have copies of the images with names and dates.

I have family photos going back to the 40's that would have no meaning to my family otherwise. Those interested in keeping the family memories will, I'm sure, keep the data updated so that it will be accessible.

Awesome idea, be a lot if work but well worth it. Once for Chritmas I got my dads entire slide collection put on cd (it all managed to fit on a 750mb cd!!!) I've never beat that present in his eyes, loves putting it in the DVD player and watching it without having to set up a projector

West Midlands Wedding Photographer (external link) | Midlands Wedding Photographer (external link)| Wedding Videographer West Midlands (external link) | Wedding Videographer Midlands (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Design (external link)
Canon 5d MkIII | Canon 7d | Sigma 35mm 1.4 | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 | Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS

Xcelx
558 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 19, 2013 08:31 |  #6160

Setup

IMAGE: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32231899/POTN/flames/IMG_9457.jpg

Results

IMAGE: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32231899/POTN/flames/IMG_2346.jpg
IMAGE: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32231899/POTN/flames/IMG_2391.jpg
IMAGE: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32231899/POTN/flames/IMG_2386.jpg

Bkainz
85 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 19, 2013 14:57 |  #6161

Sick! Love the flame shots!!

Digital: 7D Gripped | 24-10 F/4L | 50 1.8 | 10D |
Film: AE-1 Program + FD 50 1.8 | Kalimar 28 f/2.8 | Zykkor 135 f/2.8

Xcelx
558 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 19, 2013 16:16 |  #6162

Thanks, here's another attempt at it. A bit easier to setup without any extra lights. Very little PP, colors are straight SOOC.

Setup

IMAGE: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32231899/POTN/flames/IMG_9461.jpg

Result
IMAGE: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32231899/POTN/flames/IMG_2422.jpg

Bkainz
85 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 19, 2013 17:35 |  #6163

Xcelx wrote in post #15628935 (external link)
Thanks, here's another attempt at it. A bit easier to setup without any extra lights. Very little PP, colors are straight SOOC.

Setup
QUOTED IMAGE

Result
QUOTED IMAGE

Dang, now that is awesome!
Curious.... what lens are you using there?

Digital: 7D Gripped | 24-10 F/4L | 50 1.8 | 10D |
Film: AE-1 Program + FD 50 1.8 | Kalimar 28 f/2.8 | Zykkor 135 f/2.8

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 19, 2013 18:01 |  #6164

i think its a Tamron macro lens 90mm f/2.8

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

kcrunchone
462 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 20, 2013 12:03 |  #6165

androostain wrote in post #15626923 (external link)
Awesome idea, be a lot if work but well worth it. Once for Chritmas I got my dads entire slide collection put on cd (it all managed to fit on a 750mb cd!!!) I've never beat that present in his eyes, loves putting it in the DVD player and watching it without having to set up a projector

I looked at your gear and I really like that bag that you have. Is it a double or single shoulder strap, and who is the maker??

1D X MII
7D MII Gripped 6D Gripped 60D Gripped Canon 100-400 L IS Canon 50 1.8/Canon 100 2.8/Canon 28-135IS/Canon 70-200 F4L/Tamron 18-270 3.4/ Sigma 2.0 Ext. Kenko 1.4 Canon 16-35 F2.8 L Sigma 150-600 C Canon 500L 4.5
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kcrunchone/ (external link)

sponsored links

5,877,261 views & 9,800 likes for this thread
Show us your setup and the final result!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.