Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your setup and the final result!

Littleoldman
249 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 21, 2013 16:39 |  #6181

Snowyman wrote in post #15635110 (external link)
IPhone wins again! :shock:

:D:lol::D

sponsored links
gkuenning
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 22, 2013 00:12 |  #6182

Is anybody else bothered by these posts of the general form "camera on a tripod...landscape shot"?

My understanding of this thread is that it was established so that people could teach others how to take pictures that required a tricky or unusual setup (cf. the many water-drop shots when it first started). I'm pretty sure that even the rankest beginner can figure out how to put a camera on a tripod and point it at something scenic.

Even the portrait-studio shots are often unhelpful, unless they reveal an interesting lighting technique.

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

Max ­ Powers
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 22, 2013 02:45 |  #6183

gkuenning wrote in post #15638672 (external link)
Is anybody else bothered by these posts of the general form "camera on a tripod...landscape shot"?

My understanding of this thread is that it was established so that people could teach others how to take pictures that required a tricky or unusual setup (cf. the many water-drop shots when it first started). I'm pretty sure that even the rankest beginner can figure out how to put a camera on a tripod and point it at something scenic.

Even the portrait-studio shots are often unhelpful, unless they reveal an interesting lighting technique.

Fair enough.

However, I still like seeing the contrast between a setup shot and what the final photo looks like. It's fun.

Nikon D600
-Samyang 14mm f2.8 -Nikon 50mm 1.8G -Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR
-Nikon 24-120 f3.5-5.6 D
flickr (external link)||500px (external link)

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 22, 2013 03:47 |  #6184

Max Powers wrote in post #15638899 (external link)
Fair enough.

However, I still like seeing the contrast between a setup shot and what the final photo looks like. It's fun.

If there's significant post-processing involved, I agree that it's fun. I went to a great talk tonight by a woman who is half photographer, half painter. What she does is fantastic (and I could never imitate it).

But even then, aren't there threads for talking about how post-processing was done? This one is about the setup, not about what happened after the shutter button was pushed.

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

androostain
312 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 22, 2013 06:48 |  #6185

I'm with Max, I like to see the bigger picture of the scene and then to see what they focused in on as their point of interest and the contrast in the final shot.

I understand your point but I'd rather see that sort of picture than another bloody moon or water drop. But if we keep it varied everyone gets something they have an interest in.

Talking of which, anyone got a good setup up shot of Katy Perry's bum?

West Midlands Wedding Photographer (external link) | Midlands Wedding Photographer (external link)| Wedding Videographer West Midlands (external link) | Wedding Videographer Midlands (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Design (external link)
Canon 5d MkIII | Canon 7d | Sigma 35mm 1.4 | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 | Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 22, 2013 06:55 as a reply to  @ androostain's post |  #6186

I went to a great talk tonight by a woman who is half photographer, half painter

care to share who she was?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,930 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 22, 2013 08:15 |  #6187

androostain wrote in post #15639269 (external link)
Talking of which, anyone got a good setup up shot of Katy Perry's bum?

IMAGE: http://www.daniellessauces.com/Images/HoneyHam.jpg

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

katodog
Goldmember
4,122 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 22, 2013 08:31 |  #6188

Yes, a lot.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

xinvisionx
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 22, 2013 08:46 |  #6189

Max Powers wrote in post #15638899 (external link)
Fair enough.

I agree.

My name is James ~ Gear ~ Facebook Fan Page (external link)

jabtas
Goldmember
3,058 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 22, 2013 08:49 |  #6190

I'm really struggling to understand why anybody would be bothered by such 'setup' shot being displayed

While I admit seeing behind the scenes of a super dooper studio set up can certainly be enlightening and helpful, I fail to see how anything else can be so bothersome
People are hardly gonna stop posting their lighting and studio set ups if others just show a "camera on a tripod...landscape shot"

I always thought this forum was about sharing images, and the more the merrier I say

Tim
Some Canon stuff, some Sigma stuff and yet more Canon stuff
My Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/j​abtas (external link)

katodog
Goldmember
4,122 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 22, 2013 09:06 |  #6191

I don't mind the sharing, but you have to admit that putting your camera on a tripod...it's not much of a setup. I always considered this thread to be the place where people would post stuff that wasn't as easy as slapping a camera on a tripod. Put some effort into it, actually build some type of setup, that's the idea behind the thread.

But, since I'm not the thread king, people can post whatever they want. I will do like I always do, breeze past those "setups" that aren't really setups, without even stopping to look...

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

jabtas
Goldmember
3,058 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 22, 2013 09:09 |  #6192

But if its a tripod in a very unusual location or position, its really does show what pains people are prepared to go to, to get the shot

Tim
Some Canon stuff, some Sigma stuff and yet more Canon stuff
My Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/j​abtas (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 22, 2013 09:11 as a reply to  @ jabtas's post |  #6193

I'm really struggling to understand why anybody would be bothered by such 'setup' shot being displayed

It should go without saying that "showing your set-up" scenerio is for the technically competent photographer who is grasping for new methods to capture images without pouring mega-dollars into the equation.
That said...I also grow weary of landscape-tripod-images unless there is a viable reason for it's display.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

tjbrock42
944 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 22, 2013 09:14 |  #6194

I don't mind the basic setup posts. Sure some are more boring than others but they keep the thread going. Just scroll past the ones you dont like.

6D
24-105L, 50 STM, 135L, 430EX II
For Sale: 40D

katodog
Goldmember
4,122 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 22, 2013 09:15 |  #6195

jabtas wrote in post #15639664 (external link)
But if its a tripod in a very unusual location or position, its really does show what pains people are prepared to go to, to get the shot

No, not really. But like I said, people can post what they want, I'll just ignore it like I always do. No sweat off me...and that's all I have to say about that.

Continue with the topic of the thread

sponsored links

5,878,528 views & 9,800 likes for this thread
Show us your setup and the final result!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.