Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your setup and the final result!

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 08, 2016 22:05 |  #9796

Well done. As you realized, getting to a higher camera angle helps with large groups like that. Gets all the faces closer to the plane of focus.

You did well. Only thing I'd change is to bounce the light into the ceiling.

Several years ago I had a similar situation, large group in a room. Only option was to have the club staff bring in a ladder for me to climb up toward the ceiling. I bounced two AB800s off the ceiling above me.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,847 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Post edited over 3 years ago by PhotosGuy.

May 08, 2016 22:29 |  #9797

dmward wrote in post #18000524 (external link)
Well done. As you realized, getting to a higher camera angle helps with large groups like that. Gets all the faces closer to the plane of focus.

You did well. Only thing I'd change is to bounce the light into the ceiling.

Several years ago I had a similar situation, large group in a room. Only option was to have the club staff bring in a ladder for me to climb up toward the ceiling. I bounced two AB800s off the ceiling above me.

"Ceiling"?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

maxblack
I feel like I'm in danger
2,013 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 08, 2016 23:02 |  #9798

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18000544 (external link)
"Ceiling"?

It's a really high one. :-P

mpstan
298 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by mpstan.

May 08, 2016 23:44 as a reply to  @ post 18000500 |  #9799

Martin, Great job on the Mom's day shoot. I couldn't tell for sure but I think your daughter enjoyed it.

Did you have to do any chimping at all for these? I don't remember all of the pros and cons of HSS vs. using ND filters but it seems to me that a nice ND filter would allow you to save some time using the meter, making it a bit more scientific etc. I wonder if you will gravitate to using your filter more.

Thank you so much for your setup description; I found it very helpful.

I did have one other question..... was this much of a workout for your Rovelight? Do you recall what power you ended up using?

Cheers

5D Mk 3/// Canon 70-200 f/4L /// Canon 24mm 2.8 ///Sigma 85 1.4 ART ///Sigma 35 1.4 ART/// Godox AD360/// Flashpoint Li-Ion x 2
//Manfrotto 055XPRO /// Manfrotto 498 RC2 Ballhead///Jinbei HD-600///

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

May 09, 2016 00:27 |  #9800

MalVeauX wrote in post #18000500 (external link)
Heya,

I love how informative your posts are! Thanks - gives me plenty to look at and a place to start as I begin to figure out my lighting (already used some of your previous advice on purchases too from other threads you have posted in)

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,228 posts
Gallery: 1648 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by MalVeauX.

May 09, 2016 11:08 |  #9801

mpstan wrote in post #18000634 (external link)
Martin, Great job on the Mom's day shoot. I couldn't tell for sure but I think your daughter enjoyed it.

Did you have to do any chimping at all for these? I don't remember all of the pros and cons of HSS vs. using ND filters but it seems to me that a nice ND filter would allow you to save some time using the meter, making it a bit more scientific etc. I wonder if you will gravitate to using your filter more.

Thank you so much for your setup description; I found it very helpful.

I did have one other question..... was this much of a workout for your Rovelight? Do you recall what power you ended up using?

Cheers

Heya,

She actually played ball with us, we shot for about 15~20 minutes total. Only because she allowed it.

Zero chimping. This is why I'm not using HSS right now. It's just so much faster, and easier for me, to setup my light where I want it, set my aperture where I want it for depth of field, and meter the light to be what it should be exactly to get the right results without even needing to see the histogram. If it meters at F8 and I needed F8 to get appropriate exposure, it will be correct (or very close at least). If I can get the right exposure at sync speed (1/200s) with a single 3 stop ND filter, I do it now, because it's simply faster (literally, two pops of the light and I have exposure dialed in exactly; zero actuations of the shutter needed). In this case, my aperture was F2.8 and I applied a 3 stop ND filter to get ambient light down to my sync speed of 1/200s. To get the strobe light correct, place it first so distance is constant, then meter it at the location of the subject. In this case, I turned on my light, set it to 1/8th power to start, and metered it one time (I trip the light with the RF603 with it's test button). I got back a reading of about F5.6~F6.3-ish (there were a few 10th's in there). So I increased the output of the light to 1/4th, and metered again, and the light meter read F8 (per the image, I snapped that to show what I metered as the final output of the light). No histogram review needed for this at all. Just two test firings of the light itself, and the light meter, and I was where I needed to be. If I used HSS, I would have had to just set the power, take a shot, look at the histogram, and chimp again and again until the histogram (the only tool in the field that would be at all viable in my case) read appropriately and even then it would be off likely, so I'd have to have wiggle room in RAW to get it just right. This is a totally fine method, I used to do it, still do it sometimes. But it takes more time, and time is something I had very little of when dealing with a 2.5 year old in a time frame where light was falling and we had maybe 30 minutes to do the shots before the flowers would have been in total shade (which I did a few in the shade even still just for fun, they're on my flickr). To do the HSS test shots and get it right, I would have needed mom & baby at the subject location and endure waiting on me--sweating in the heat, nats & bugs flying around, and a 2.5 year old doesn't wait for anything, so even if it took me only 2~3 minutes, that's a life time to a 2.5 year old who wants to do something else. Again, she played ball with us, so it worked out. But, I did it the way I did it to avoid wasting that time in front of them with them just standing there waiting on me. This way, ND + meter, had zero down time for the models. They walked out, went to the designated location (marked by a rake), I took a single test shot, reviewed it to ensure composition and light and every thing was close enough to continue, and then I joined them with my remote shutter release, and away we went.

I got the Rovelight for the HSS. I started with it that way. These days, I'm using ND filters and normal manual output, because I can use a light meter. That's the only reason. I really like HSS. But I really appreciate the speed and accuracy of using a light meter. If I could not get sync speed with a 3 stop ND filter, then I would just use HSS and wing it. If I can get away with a single 3 stop ND filter, I will use it, and use a light meter. Any more ND stoppage power than that, and I don't want to use it, because it can be problematic with focus and other things. I like to keep it simple. So again, I use a 3 stop ND if it gets me to sync speed. If it doesn't, I use HSS. By the way, you can combine the two, and use ND and HSS to get a "middle ground." But you still can't meter that. So it's ND + meter, or HSS and chimp/histogram.

So as you mentioned, yes, I am using the filter more. The speed of metering and getting it right in two light firings literally took me a few seconds and I was dialed in exactly to F8 within a 10th of a stop.

Not a work out at all for the Rovelight. The recycle time in normal output, and I use snail (to get more out of the battery) mode for recycling, was less than 1 second. I don't take rapid shot after shot, as I wait for the baby to at least look like she's looking in a desirable direction or making a micro-expression that I want to at least try to capture. I've been using the Rovelight since release, and it has never let me down, it recycles fast and never over-heats on me in the Florida sun. Per the description, I was at 1/4th power in normal output mode, and recycle time was very fast, I didn't have to wait on it.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

rebelsimon
Goldmember
1,136 posts
Joined Nov 2013

May 09, 2016 23:14 |  #9802

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7511/26858425811_7feec97237_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7621/26652922730_0593e0e798_b.jpg

Toronto area photographer http://www.SimonMellic​kPhotography.com (external link)
Cameras:5Diii (x2), 70D
Lenses:Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Voightlander 20mm f3.5, Canon 24-70 f2.8ii, Tamron 35mm f1.8 VC, Canon 50mm STM, Tamron 90mm 2.8 VC, Canon 135mm f2
Lights: AD600, AD200 (x2), V850 (x4)

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
1,085 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2015

May 09, 2016 23:52 |  #9803

maxblack wrote in post #18000581 (external link)
It's a really high one. :-P

Well, on a cloudy day anyway...

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

RicoTudor
622 posts
Joined Jul 2014

May 10, 2016 00:32 |  #9804

Revisited an earlier subject. A normal 135mm could not achieve critical focus for all the design elements, so I used a tilt/shift bellows macro of 140mm @ f/22. First, the result:

IMAGE: http://patternassociates.com/rico/contax/misc/sandals7.jpg

Plane of focus was above the sandal base so DOF captured everything. Two lights were employed, each shot into its own frame. The frames were processed in separate layers, then merged. The setup:

IMAGE: http://patternassociates.com/rico/fm/sandals8.jpg

Four stands around the subject, from left to right: (1) Profoto MultiSpot (fresnel) @ 6' serving as key; (2) 550EX as frontal fill; (3) 2x3 diffusion panel of Rosco Tough Rolux for fill function; (4) flag to reduce 550EX spill and to prevent lens glare. Lighting scheme sought to create that clean, early morning effect, and for the subject to suggest a gardenscape. Here are the out-of-camera frames:

IMAGE: http://patternassociates.com/rico/fm/sandals9.jpg

Display art created by my sister-in-law.

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

fjhphotography
161 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined May 2015

May 10, 2016 01:53 |  #9805

This was my first shoot with the XPLOR 600 by Flashpoint. All the exif and lighting info are in the BTS. If you aren't familiar with my work, I tend to have a thing for sharing fun BTS photos and labeling them fun as well. =)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Post work including dodge & burn, some frequency separation, cloning, healing, color toning, and then resized for FB.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My YouTube Channel! (external link)|My facebook (external link)| My site (external link)| My Instagram (external link)

MomentsCaptured
165 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jun 2012

May 10, 2016 12:27 |  #9806

fjhphotography wrote in post #18001985 (external link)
This was my first shoot with the XPLOR 600 by Flashpoint. All the exif and lighting info are in the BTS. If you aren't familiar with my work, I tend to have a thing for sharing fun BTS photos and labeling them fun as well. =)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by fjhphotography in
./showthread.php?p=180​01985&i=i57105289
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

Post work including dodge & burn, some frequency separation, cloning, healing, color toning, and then resized for FB.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by fjhphotography in
./showthread.php?p=180​01985&i=i169347996
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

Thanks to your posts on here and instagram (I am following you), I just ordered a 60" octa from PCB. It should arrive tomorrow.
I had no idea they made them but it looks like they just released a 5' octa not too long ago.

I was on the market for a 5' (or bigger) octa for location work and I have literally considered every modifier out there and nothing beats a 5' octa from PCB in terms of portability, value and quality.

I even considered Broncolor but they are way out of my budget. Perhaps a parabalix modifier (external link) will be my next purchase after this 5' PCB.

5D IV x2 | 16-35mm f/4 IS | 24mm f/1.4L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.4L IS | 100mm macro

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,355 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

May 10, 2016 12:59 |  #9807

fjhphotography wrote in post #18001985 (external link)
This was my first shoot with the XPLOR 600 by Flashpoint. All the exif and lighting info are in the BTS. If you aren't familiar with my work, I tend to have a thing for sharing fun BTS photos and labeling them fun as well. =)]

How does the PCB octobox attach to the Xplor light? Does it have a PCB mount?

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

fjhphotography
161 posts
Joined May 2015

May 10, 2016 19:52 as a reply to  @ MomentsCaptured's post |  #9808

You're welcome and thanks for the follow. Yeah, that 5 ft is a beast! I love it a lot and it's so easy to use. I used the 47 inch by PCB for the longest time then decided to try the 5 ft a few months ago and never looked back.

My YouTube Channel! (external link)|My facebook (external link)| My site (external link)| My Instagram (external link)

fjhphotography
161 posts
Joined May 2015

May 10, 2016 19:55 as a reply to  @ ptcanon3ti's post |  #9809

The XPLOR I own is Bowens mount which I love. The alienbee mount (Buff) wasn't as sturdy. I bought a Bowens mount off B&H and replaced it with the Buff mount that comes with the Octabox. I go over what I did in the first question to this blog post;

http://www.fjhphoto.co​m/blog/2016/2/26/faq (external link)

Highly recommend the PCB modifiers, especially the octaboxes =)

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by PhilF.

May 11, 2016 03:22 |  #9810

MomentsCaptured wrote in post #18002427 (external link)
Thanks to your posts on here and instagram (I am following you), I just ordered a 60" octa from PCB. It should arrive tomorrow.
I had no idea they made them but it looks like they just released a 5' octa not too long ago.

I was on the market for a 5' (or bigger) octa for location work and I have literally considered every modifier out there and nothing beats a 5' octa from PCB in terms of portability, value and quality.

I even considered Broncolor but they are way out of my budget. Perhaps a parabalix modifier (external link) will be my next purchase after this 5' PCB.

you need this...
http://www.parabolixli​ght.com/

Will be going to there first demo this month.

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

sponsored links

5,678,868 views & 9,616 likes for this thread
Show us your setup and the final result!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.