Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Jan 2011 (Friday) 04:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So I'm going to NY...

HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 17, 2011 05:06 |  #46

Cpt.Vanquisher wrote in post #11656906 (external link)
Helen, is it ok if I contact you in a few weeks on the availability of some stuff at Adorama? I have a small list of things I want to buy, but I don't want to take the risk that everything is out of stock when I get there. :)

For sure; also, our in-store inventory is completely separate from our online inventory. If we need to truck anything up from our warehouse in New Jersey for you, it's best if I can get 5 days notice to be sure of it being available in the store when you come.

sponsored links
Cpt.Vanquisher
THREAD ­ STARTER
575 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 14, 2011 13:22 as a reply to  @ HelenOster's post |  #47

I'm picking up a 17-40L on thursday. Finally!
This journey is getting quite expensive actually: travel documents, a new TSA approved suitcase, new camera gear,... . And I still need to go shopping in NY :D

Bert
gear - modelmayhem (external link) - facebook (external link) - blog (external link)

Hausen
27 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 14, 2011 21:28 |  #48

Love my 16-35/2.8 on my 5dII.

Hausen
Auckland NZ

Canon 5d Mk II
16-35/2.8 : TS-E 24/3.5 II : TS-E90/2.8 : 50/1.8 : 70-200/4 IS

shaun ­ raney
391 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 15, 2011 10:08 |  #49

When you go to NYC...try some street meat...there is a cart by 53rd and 6th that makes great hallal food. Best to go after 7 PM.

How much did you pay for the 17-40L?

DIY PC with 34" Ultrawide | 7D | 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | 50mm 1.8 | DJI Phantom 4

Cpt.Vanquisher
THREAD ­ STARTER
575 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 15, 2011 10:24 |  #50

Thanks for the advice!

I payed €400 for it (around $550). It's a very good second hand one.

Another question: does anybody know a good store in Manhattan where they sell pelican flashlights? I tried Adorama, but I couldn't find them on their website.

Bert
gear - modelmayhem (external link) - facebook (external link) - blog (external link)

mpclimber
55 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 15, 2011 10:57 |  #51

shaun raney wrote in post #11847449 (external link)
When you go to NYC...try some street meat...there is a cart by 53rd and 6th that makes great hallal food. Best to go after 7 PM.

Fair warning. That cart is delicious but it also has the dubious honor of being the only street meat vendor where a patron was stabbed for cutting in line. Welcome to NY. Amazing how long the line gets, even in the rain. They change vendors midway through the evening, which is why the post-7pm cart is so good.

Body: Canon T2i
Glass: 17-55; Sigma 30; 55-250
Light: 420ex

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,837 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 15, 2011 11:20 |  #52

Cpt.Vanquisher wrote in post #11656682 (external link)
Thanks for all the advices! And I'll definitely post some shots!

And a non-photography related question: any good bars in Midtown West? I'm staying close to Grand Central.

Hahaha...There are 27,000 restuarants and untold number of bars in NYC. Depending on what you are interested in drinking -beer, wine, etc... there are many places. You may be better off in a restuarant style bar that also offers outstanding food.

Sounds like you are getting well prepared and excited. Good for you, and good luck!!!

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

shaun ­ raney
391 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 15, 2011 11:54 |  #53

mpclimber wrote in post #11847738 (external link)
Fair warning. That cart is delicious but it also has the dubious honor of being the only street meat vendor where a patron was stabbed for cutting in line. Welcome to NY. Amazing how long the line gets, even in the rain. They change vendors midway through the evening, which is why the post-7pm cart is so good.

A meal not worth dying for is a meal not worth having ;-)a or something....

DIY PC with 34" Ultrawide | 7D | 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | 50mm 1.8 | DJI Phantom 4

garynevstasche
54 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 15, 2011 12:03 |  #54

UWA for sure. As wide as you can go, you won't regret it.

Also a telephoto (70-200 should do) for isolated street shots can be useful.

Also a low light prime for wandering around after the sun has gone down (35 or 50).

That would be my perfect three lens line-up for New York.

550d / 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS / 50 f1.8 / 55-250 f4-5.6 IS / G12

Cpt.Vanquisher
THREAD ­ STARTER
575 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 18, 2011 13:00 |  #55

A shiny 17-40L is attached to my 5D now. Wow, it's wide! I'm going to have so much fun with this lens! :D

Bert

Cpt.Vanquisher
THREAD ­ STARTER
575 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 14, 2011 10:21 as a reply to  @ Cpt.Vanquisher's post |  #56

Only 10 days 'till NYC!

I've made up my planning of things I want to do, and I'm sure it will be quite an exhausting trip :)

Day 1 (afternoon after 8 hours of flying): Chrysler building, Grand Central and Public Library
Day 2: Empire state, Rockefeller, 5th avenue, Central park, Broadway
Day 3: Walk from Grand central to South Manhattan, City hall, WTC site, Wall street, ferry to Staten Island, Brooklyn Bridge, subway to Manhattan
Day 4: Upper town west, Harlem, Yankee Stadium and back through Upper town east or central park
Day 5: no plans. A back-up day for things I missed or just for strolling around the city. And getting back to Newark before 3PM.

Is this realistic? Or is this way to much? I have totally no idea what to expect! :)

Bert

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 14, 2011 10:40 |  #57

I don't think you'll have time for all that, it takes more time than you expect :)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Cpt.Vanquisher
THREAD ­ STARTER
575 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 29, 2011 10:32 |  #58

I just arrived this morning back in Belgium and had a great time in NYC! Thanks a lot for the advices you all gave me. They were all very usefull. I did everything I planned and still had some time left. And the nicest thing was that I met a Belgian top model, with who I went out for 3 nights. Needless to say I had a great time :)

I'm definitely going back to NYC! And hopefully very soon!

Bert

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 29, 2011 12:51 |  #59

Cpt.Vanquisher wrote in post #12116303 (external link)
I just arrived this morning back in Belgium and had a great time in NYC! Thanks a lot for the advices you all gave me. They were all very usefull. I did everything I planned and still had some time left. And the nicest thing was that I met a Belgian top model, with who I went out for 3 nights. Needless to say I had a great time :)

I'm definitely going back to NYC! And hopefully very soon!

i've lived here for 37 years and am still trying to land a Belgian model. you did it in 2 days. FML. ;)

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

Cpt.Vanquisher
THREAD ­ STARTER
575 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 29, 2011 13:28 |  #60

CosmoKid wrote in post #12117319 (external link)
i've lived here for 37 years and am still trying to land a Belgian model. you did it in 2 days. FML. ;)

The fact that we both speak Dutch might have something to do with it :) She works quite often in NYC. If you're interested in working with her, I can give you her website. But her prices aren't exactly cheap :)

Bert

sponsored links

7,308 views & 0 likes for this thread
So I'm going to NY...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.