Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Jan 2011 (Saturday) 00:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Elinchrom Power ST4, help?

squaresnappr
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 15, 2011 00:04 |  #1

I can't get my sekonic L758 DR meter to trigger my light with the Elinchrom Power ST4. I can get the sekonic meter to trigger my light with the pocket wizard tt5 attached but not when the power st4 is connected. I have everything on the same channel. Do I have to have a tt5 and power st4 connected to the light if I want the light meter to trigger the light.

I can take shots with the mini tt1 and power st4 connected. It works fine, but cannot get the light meter to trigger the light with the power st4. Also, when I connect the pocket wizard AC3, I also cannot get the power tracking to work.

Does anyone have experience with the Power ST4 and give me any tips.

My Gear
http://www.solofotogra​phy.com (external link)
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1896508 (external link)

sponsored links
PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 15, 2011 10:36 |  #2

Did you use the PW Utility to change the operating frequency of the PowerST4 from the default Control TL channel to the Standard channel that the Sekonic light meter operates in?

And did you check to make sure that both the Sekonic meter and the PowerST4 are on the same channel in the Standard channel range?

Regarding the AC3, if you have the PowerST4 set to the Standard channel so that you can use your Sekonic meter to trigger the strobe, then you won't be able to use the AC3 to adjust the power level of the strobe because that requires you to have the Tx unit on the camera and the PowerST4 to be set to the Control TL channel. In order words, the use of the AC3 precludes the use of the built-in RF module of the Sekonic meter, and vice versa.

...Leo

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,578 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 15, 2011 11:38 |  #3

It will be so much better if PW make the rx listen on both std and Control TL channels. Or offer a new radio module for Seikonic meters which can transmit on Control TL channels as well as std. channels.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 15, 2011 15:19 |  #4

bobbyz wrote in post #11646459 (external link)
It will be so much better if PW make the rx listen on both std and Control TL channels. Or offer a new radio module for Seikonic meters which can transmit on Control TL channels as well as std. channels.

I was thinking the same thing, that it's time to upgrade the RF modules for the Sekonic meters. And that's more doable than trying to retrofit another receiver into the FlexTT5. :)

...Leo

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,578 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 15, 2011 16:18 |  #5

Leo, FlexTT5 already got both receivers. It can made to listen or alternate between the two through some firmware.

Just imagine how cool to have a Seikonic meter your flashes/strobes and be able to adjust power right through the seikonic meter itself (AC3 feature). Now all I want is some external (non speedlite or ST-e) based AF assist which is small and can fit on top of all these PW gadgets.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 15, 2011 17:34 |  #6

bobbyz wrote in post #11647735 (external link)
Leo, FlexTT5 already got both receivers. It can made to listen or alternate between the two through some firmware.

Just imagine how cool to have a Seikonic meter your flashes/strobes and be able to adjust power right through the seikonic meter itself (AC3 feature). Now all I want is some external (non speedlite or ST-e) based AF assist which is small and can fit on top of all these PW gadgets.

But still, it's only one receiver. A receiver can only receive on one frequency at a time. To make it receive on two frequencies, there would need to be two physical receiver sections. :)

...Leo

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,578 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 15, 2011 19:14 |  #7

PacAce wrote in post #11648085 (external link)
But still, it's only one receiver. A receiver can only receive on one frequency at a time. To make it receive on two frequencies, there would need to be two physical receiver sections. :)

It has to has two receivers as it can receive both std. channels or the control TL channels just not at the same time. The config option lets you choose one of the channels. So do it automatically switch it back & forth.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 15, 2011 19:27 |  #8

bobbyz wrote in post #11648524 (external link)
It has to has two receivers as it can receive both std. channels or the control TL channels just not at the same time. The config option lets you choose one of the channels. So do it automatically switch it back & forth.

Have you ever listened to an FM radio? It can receive lot of stations on different frequencies but it can only receive one station at a time. There isn't a separate receiver for each station, is there? It's just one receiver with a tuner for selecting the different channels.

...Leo

squaresnappr
THREAD ­ STARTER
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 15, 2011 22:15 |  #9

PacAce wrote in post #11646176 (external link)
Did you use the PW Utility to change the operating frequency of the PowerST4 from the default Control TL channel to the Standard channel that the Sekonic light meter operates in?

And did you check to make sure that both the Sekonic meter and the PowerST4 are on the same channel in the Standard channel range?

Regarding the AC3, if you have the PowerST4 set to the Standard channel so that you can use your Sekonic meter to trigger the strobe, then you won't be able to use the AC3 to adjust the power level of the strobe because that requires you to have the Tx unit on the camera and the PowerST4 to be set to the Control TL channel. In order words, the use of the AC3 precludes the use of the built-in RF module of the Sekonic meter, and vice versa.

Thanks, I totally understand now. I guess I need to get the elinchrom rx hand remote and then keep it in the standard channel range for my meter to trigger.

My Gear
http://www.solofotogra​phy.com (external link)
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1896508 (external link)

Sheldon ­ N
Goldmember
2,163 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 19, 2011 18:16 |  #10

I don't think that will work either, since the Elinchrom RX hand remote uses the same RX port that the PowertST4 uses. Short answer is that there's no way to make your Sekonic trigger your flash when using it with the PowerST4 with ControlTL.

My flickr (external link) | Gear + Feedback

sponsored links

3,632 views & 0 likes for this thread
Elinchrom Power ST4, help?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.