Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 15 Jan 2011 (Saturday) 11:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any Input Appreciated

tom30
79 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 15, 2011 11:55 |  #1

My uncle will soon be 100 years old and asked me to put together the picture below as gifts for his kids. So, I want to make it as nice as possible because of the occasion.

The picture is saved as a psd, so all the layers can be easily edited. The wording is his along with the picture choice on the left. If anyone has any advice on how to improve the picture regarding the layout, color scheme or whatever, I would appreciate any ideas. Or is it OK as is?
Thanks.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

https://photography-on-the.net …?p=5115645&post​count=1084

sponsored links
Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 15, 2011 15:17 |  #2

I find the name font too huge...some script might be nicer and more elegant.

Don't think you need the yesterday and today, its fairly obvious?

The crop/vignette feels weird to me in the today photo.he looks like he is floating? Maybe a black gradient vignette would be more useful? Or a clear blur?

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

dino211
174 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 15, 2011 16:59 |  #3

The blue vignette doesn't work with the blue shirt. Show his hands in today's picture.

Dean
Canon 7Dii, 5Dii, 100-400L, 70-200L f4is, 100 macro, 300L f4is, 24-105L f4i

tom30
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 15, 2011 19:21 as a reply to  @ dino211's post |  #4

Thanks for your reponses and advice. I will use it to tweak the picture.

Yes, yesteday and today is obvious, but that is what he said he wants on the picture and since it is his birthday...

The crop is wierd because the picture was taken with him sitting on a stool with his shirt, tie and coat over bib overalls and no suit pants. He had dressed himself as such before I arrived. I was cropping out the pants, which is where his hands were resting. As could be expected at his age, he has some serious health problems with limited mobility and it took a great effort for him to just do this much. I had a nice picture of him sitting in his recliner in his overalls, but he wanted the picture taken with a coat and tie away from the bright window where he usually sits.

LettieVonDread
331 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 15, 2011 19:50 |  #5

Perhaps do his name in white too, and the same font as "100 years". It would be easier to read. I would do the "today" and "yesterday" in the same font as each other. I would also move him (the one on the right) down a little, it would balance it out a little better I think. His head is a little too close to his name and the bottom of him doesn't line up with the bottom of him as a toddler.

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 15, 2011 22:07 as a reply to  @ LettieVonDread's post |  #6

I still say the font is too large.use writing script instead, gives it an air of class. and possibly have it on the bottom of the photo, instead of having it run into his head.....can you change the BG color of the today photo?

Hoe about an oval vignette then on the now side? I keeps him from floating away.

CallumPhoto
661 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 16, 2011 05:28 |  #7

There's like 4 different fonts there, cull it to like 1 or 2, 3 max. I really don't like how the "and" has been done. Also I feel like if one photo is going to be black and white both should be, that texture doesn't work with the plain blue background in my opinion. But that font, that's my biggest worry. It's too hard to read and there's too many types. Easily fixed though, try to pick something a bit more classy or traditional maybe. Just my opinion.

Callum Bright Photography; Website (external link) / Blog (external link) / Facebook (external link)

tom30
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 16, 2011 07:09 as a reply to  @ CallumPhoto's post |  #8

Good suggestions all. Thanks.

I did the following revisions: Deleted the AND which I think I can sell to Uncle Carl. Did a black and white background gradient on the Today side. Changed name font to Vladmir Script and the other fonts to Lucinda Bright with demibold and black font color for 100 Years.

I am not sure about the name font color. Black won't show up well in that background color. White looks a little too stark. One of the other two might work. The blue matches the blue in Carl's tie.

What other fonts would you suggest is more elegant and classy?

Thanks again.

HOSTED PHOTO

CallumPhoto
661 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 16, 2011 08:11 |  #9

I think you've made huge progress here, this might be personal preferrence but I'm a bit iffy about that texture on the left but see what everyone else says. It might not be a universal thing, font looks way better, if I commented on it then again probably just personal preference. Except that maybe think about making the 100 Years the same as Yesterday/Today. It looks like 100 Years is bold. Also something to consider is having the name up top and the other text down the bottom.

Callum Bright Photography; Website (external link) / Blog (external link) / Facebook (external link)

HazYleaF
84 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 16, 2011 09:17 |  #10

I'd have to agree with Callum on the Texture.... Why not go with the same Grey tone on both sides?
Put his name up top and go with a smaller font for the Yesterday, Today and 100 Years...

Man with a Camera and Lens
And a Whole lot of Heart.. Hee Hee !!

ssmanak
436 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 16, 2011 09:55 |  #11

On left hand side, what if a collage of photos, say 3-5, are put. It will show progression of life. Also I second the idea of bringing in hands in current photograph composition. In place of 100 years, DOB & todays date will be more interesting.

ss.manak
EOS 6D ii, Canon 24-105f4 L ii, Canon 50 f1.4, Tamron 100-400 f4.5-6.3 VC, Canon 430EX ii, Canon 270 exii

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 16, 2011 10:17 as a reply to  @ ssmanak's post |  #12

Far better, but remember, LESS is more when using font..so ONE name is all that is needed? ALso, did you try the oval vignette on the present photo? Would make him look far less square and cutoff..just a very light opacity in black or gray.

tom30
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 16, 2011 10:49 as a reply to  @ HazYleaF's post |  #13

Here is the latest revision. In my previous version, I was using that old time look on the left to reflect sort of what a photo 100 years ago might look like. The photo I used on the left was cut out of a group photo of siblings and was the earliest photo of my uncle.

I haven't decided yet if the background on the left is the best I can do. But I have plenty of time to play around with it since his birthday isn't until latter March.

Thanks for all the input. I know everyone will have their own personal preferences as do I, but feel free to throw in your 2 cents worth. It is an opporturnity for me to learn and that is always a good thing.

HOSTED PHOTO

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 16, 2011 11:03 as a reply to  @ tom30's post |  #14

I actually liked the old timey Bg on the first one, it still matches his tie:)

Maybe just tone down the bright whites of the photo when he was a babe....

Also agree with having a birth date.above the 100 years.not large....

The black doesn;t show up very well.I like the color of the name font...

Lol.where is that oval??

HazYleaF
84 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 16, 2011 11:51 |  #15

I was actually thinking more like this.... Simple, usually turns out a little nicer....but to each his own, I always say.... well actually I don't always say it that way, but you understand.... like Flo said less is more...Hope you like it... still matches his tie... Hee Hee

HOSTED PHOTO

Man with a Camera and Lens
And a Whole lot of Heart.. Hee Hee !!

sponsored links

2,783 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any Input Appreciated
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.