Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
Thread started 15 Jan 2011 (Saturday) 21:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

And the Sigma auto focus issues continue !

Mundty
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 18, 2011 08:39 |  #106

hieu1004 wrote in post #11664853 (external link)
^People's experiences will definitely vary. My local store doesn't even carry Sigma because of the said quality issues. I've been one of the more lucky ones (I guess?) and haven't had any issues with my Sigma. The AF isn't as speedy as Canon's USM in the L series, but I learned to work around them. I've owned and own lenses that are considered best in class and I rank the Sigma very high up there. That's too bad that the quality varies so much - because if you get a good copy, it is VERY good.

Yea, I really don't know what to say about why some people have more difficultly than others with Sigma. I was never disappointed in any other aspect of the 50mm, just it's AF reliability. For a $500 lens, it's optically much better than anything in it's price range.

www.mikemundt.com (external link)
EOS 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Speedlite 430EX II | Manfrotto MT293A4 & 494 Tripod
Interests: Environmental Portraits | Urban/Travel | Wildlife | Landscape | Celestial | Experimental

sponsored links
m.shalaby
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 18, 2011 08:45 |  #107

realmike15 wrote in post #11664835 (external link)
I gotta be honest, I had similar problems with both the 30mm and 50mm from Sigma. Sometimes subject distance would affect focus accuracy, other times it was the amount of permissible light. There were more throw aways than keepers. I consider myself a pretty reasonable person, but these were just unacceptable. There were all sorts of shooting factors that would cause it to be wildly out of focus, and I need something I can trust when I'm shooting. Ultimately I had to say goodbye to Sigma.

It's funny, I'm not sure what to think anymore. So many people swear by Sigma as the best mid-grade choice for lenses, and yet my experience was completely the opposite. I admittedly can say I liked most of the aspect of Sigma lenses, for the price they were a deal. But the AF was so unpredictable, I couldn't justify keeping them. Compared to Canon's similarly priced non-L lenses, the Sigmas certainly are an intriguing offer... but unless they can get the AF right, it'll never really be an option for me. I'd rather spend the extra bucks and step up to an L... which are superior in AF, Color Rendition, Build Quality, and usually even Bokeh. To me that's worth the extra $500-$800.

thats exactly what I just did. i like the IQ of the sigma (when it woud hit), but I need a reliable lens... so I dropped the cash on L glass

Mundty
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 18, 2011 08:50 |  #108

05Xrunner wrote in post #11664862 (external link)
I guess speaking from all that experiance you have with all those L primes in your sig

Oh here we go...

I've rented just about all the L Primes from 24-85. And if I haven't I've tried them in the store... I live about an hour and a half from B&H in NY. There's a reason Zeiss can directly compete with the L Primes and Sigma cannot... there is a point where price does make a difference. Better engineering, better glass, tighter tolerances, better build quality. But yea, Canon and Zeiss are doing 100% markups while Sigma is only doing 30%... it's a conspiracy and you figured it out!

I'd love to continue this talk, but since you seem interested in adding nothing to the conversation except worthless insults. I have nothing else to say.

EOS 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Speedlite 430EX II | Manfrotto MT293A4 & 494 Tripod
Interests: Environmental Portraits | Urban/Travel | Wildlife | Landscape | Celestial | Experimental

m.shalaby
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 18, 2011 08:50 |  #109

05Xrunner wrote in post #11664862 (external link)
So seems you just got into photography and you already have determined that Sigma..the biggest lens manufacture out there still hasnt got the reverse engineering down. Why cant it be your 7D..I think this 7D might have some issue in helping it be off..Like I said my 24-70L was 0 MA on my 1D3 and it was dead nuts on every shot..now with my 7D its -10MA and i get some stuff your getting..I will take 5shots in a row and 2-3 will be little out of focus.

I guess speaking from all that experiance you have with all those L primes in your sig

I'm not the first to come up with the idea of Sigma & Canon = not so good. Sigma + Nikon = much better. Just do an internet search.

Mundty
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 18, 2011 09:03 as a reply to  @ m.shalaby's post |  #110

Anyway, back on track. Let us know how you like your 35L, it's very popular especially for an older lens. Put up some samples too, if you can.

ADAMSDJR
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 18, 2011 09:05 |  #111

I just tried a Sigma 50 1.4 on both my 1d4 and 7d. With micro adjust I was able to get it to focus accurately at close subjects (about 3 to 7'), but then it would be out of focus at longer distances. I was also able to make it do the opposite. I really wanted it to work as there are not great alternatives in the same price range. I decided to return it and go with a 35l given some of the issues reported with the 50l. Not what I wanted to happen, but it is what it is.

m.shalaby
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 18, 2011 09:32 |  #112

ADAMSDJR wrote in post #11664993 (external link)
I just tried a Sigma 50 1.4 on both my 1d4 and 7d. With micro adjust I was able to get it to focus accurately at close subjects (about 3 to 7'), but then it would be out of focus at longer distances. I was also able to make it do the opposite. I really wanted it to work as there are not great alternatives in the same price range. I decided to return it and go with a 35l given some of the issues reported with the 50l. Not what I wanted to happen, but it is what it is.

Nope, its your fault, your and idiot, you don't know what your doing, your a noob, and its user error :)

CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 18, 2011 11:38 |  #113

mdgrwl wrote in post #11665127 (external link)
Nope, its your fault, your and idiot, you don't know what your doing, your a noob, and its user error :)

Sounds about right to me :lol: !

Hi

sponsored links

10,612 views & 0 likes for this thread
And the Sigma auto focus issues continue !
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.