Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 17 Jan 2011 (Monday) 12:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What shots do you post online, and why?

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 17, 2011 12:46 |  #1

Hello folks.
I just recently started looking at the online sites like flickr and I'm kind of puzzled by something. I was looking for a place to post my "good" or "finished" photos; the ones I'm proud of; the ones that I also hang on my wall. Of the many folks on this forum who have a flickr (smugmug, zenfolio) link in their signature, there are many who obviously have the same idea about what to post online. You can tell that by looking at their work: It's good stuff, finished products.

But there are obviously many who have a different idea about what to post. If you follow their flickr links you find stuff like: "This one is really overexposed, I should have done better with that." And I want to ask, then why are you showing it to the world? Are you proud that you didn't get it right? There's no request for help or input, just, "Here, look at this one, it's not very good."

I guess I've assumed that someone who's a member of a forum like this one cares about their photography, and further assumed that someone who cares about their photography doesn't display their obviously flawed shots (with comments pointing out the flaws, no less!) That really puzzles me. So my question to POTN users: What shots do you post online, and why?

sponsored links
Intolight23
295 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 17, 2011 18:49 |  #2

Personally, I use it to keep a record/backup of the ones I liked. For me, it's more of a journal what I shot.

"This one is really overexposed, I should have done better with that."

I think people who post that on their accounts are more or less keeping a note of what they can do better and use that as reference to what they did wrong. I guess they can put it in their own private folder in their computer but maybe there's an off chance someone might help them out. Also, it's a place to put photos that you can direct link to forums like these where you can get people's input.

My Flickr (external link) || My Project 365 (external link)

marubozo
Goldmember
1,470 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 17, 2011 18:55 |  #3

I can see if you're a professional and rely on your portfolio to attract clients it would be beneficial to restrict your online presence to illustrate only the best of the best, but for many people photography is just a hobby or creative outlet. Posting photos online, good or bad, is more or less a way to keep a running journal of their progress. They can look back and see how they have improved, learn what works and what doesn't, etc.

That's basically the boat I'm in. I'm not making money doing this, I'm not trying to market myself, etc. So my online photo account just an online repository for things I find interesting. Some are good, some aren't so good. Some are just quick cell phone pics, some are serious planned shots, etc. Obviously, I don't upload everything and if a shot is just down right horrible it isn't really worth the time to upload it. But in the end, I just like to have an easy spot for friends and family to peek in on my photos and have an easy place to grab a link when I want to post something to POTN or other site.

Canon 20D
Canon Elan 7E
Canon 550D | 18-55mm | 28-105mm f/3.5 | 28mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 1.4x TC | 580EX II
Canon VIXIA HF200

flickr (external link)

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 18, 2011 12:39 |  #4

flickr as a professional portfolio site is almost useless. Flickr as a community is amazing.

I use Smugmug as a portfolio to display and sell photos / merchandise, and flickr for fun, learning, discussions and meeting other photographers.

If a professional sent me to flickr to look at his portfolio, I would raise an eyebrow at that. Different sites for different purposes, IMO.

As for the people who take their camera out, take 250 shots, and dump them straight from camera to flickr, or picasa.. yeah, I don't get those people either. I think they're like those "hoarders", but with photos.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 18, 2011 12:43 |  #5

ncjohn wrote in post #11659148 (external link)
I guess I've assumed that someone who's a member of a forum like this one cares about their photography, and further assumed that someone who cares about their photography doesn't display their obviously flawed shots (with comments pointing out the flaws, no less!) That really puzzles me. So my question to POTN users: What shots do you post online, and why?

And just to point out.. members here are at all different skill levels. I remember ~8-9 years ago posting some stuff online, and at the the time thinking it was amazingly good.. Now those same photos are bordering on embarrassing that they have my name on them. It's all subjective, and just keep in mind that some people may be very proud of the shots that you think aren't very good.. and it doesn't mean either of you is right or wrong.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 18, 2011 12:57 |  #6

BrandonSi wrote in post #11666239 (external link)
And just to point out.. members here are at all different skill levels. I remember ~8-9 years ago posting some stuff online, and at the the time thinking it was amazingly good.. Now those same photos are bordering on embarrassing that they have my name on them. It's all subjective, and just keep in mind that some people may be very proud of the shots that you think aren't very good.. and it doesn't mean either of you is right or wrong.

You missed my point. I wasn't talking about photos that I think "aren't very good;" I really think my opinions of someone else's photo are irrelevant. I was talking about photos where the photographer himself points out the flaws in the photo, and wondering why he would display it if he feels that way about it.

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 18, 2011 13:11 |  #7

ncjohn wrote in post #11666318 (external link)
You missed my point. I wasn't talking about photos that I think "aren't very good;" I really think my opinions of someone else's photo are irrelevant. I was talking about photos where the photographer himself points out the flaws in the photo, and wondering why he would display it if he feels that way about it.

Some people are embarrassed and hide their mistakes. Others are proud of them, and wear them on their sleeves. This is not limited to photography.

sponsored links

944 views & 0 likes for this thread
What shots do you post online, and why?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.