Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 18 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NOT the way to back up - A horror story!

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 18, 2011 20:14 |  #1

Read this on another site... Hope we can learn from this man's mistake.

http://photo.net/digit​al-darkroom-forum/00Y2te (external link)

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

sponsored links
joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,977 posts
Gallery: 193 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 19, 2011 21:18 |  #2

there's some real gems in that thread.

"A ship on the rocks is a warning to those still at sea."

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

Canon10D
106 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jan 20, 2011 04:02 |  #3

Bob Estremera, if you are reading this thread, it is not the end of the world (yet). All your images are still in the hard drive and recoverable. When you delete a file, you basically tell the OS that the "space" occupied by that file is available to be occupied or overwritten by another file or data. The original file is still in the hard drive until it is overwritten by another.

Here is my favorite method to recover files using Ubuntu Live CD:
http://lifehacker.com …t-using-an-ubuntu-live-cd (external link)

There are many other methods too if the above fails.

jMieser
224 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 20, 2011 04:11 |  #4

Oh says the days of film, never a time of, where are my files? "In a box", I'd respond, nothing will replace that.

| FujiFilm X-E1 | 430EX II |
| XF18-55mm F2.8-4.0 OIS |

Canon10D
106 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jan 20, 2011 04:25 |  #5

jMieser wrote in post #11677363 (external link)
Oh says the days of film, never a time of, where are my files? "In a box", I'd respond, nothing will replace that.

My dog ate my slides once; not really ate but chewed on them :)
She likes the sweet smell of fresh slides.

jMieser
224 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 20, 2011 04:47 |  #6

Canon10D wrote in post #11677381 (external link)
My dog ate my slides once; not really ate but chewed on them :)
She likes the sweet smell of fresh slides.

Who doesn't :)

| FujiFilm X-E1 | 430EX II |
| XF18-55mm F2.8-4.0 OIS |

gcogger
Goldmember
2,554 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Jan 20, 2011 18:07 |  #7

Maybe it's not as bad as the guy in the linked thread, but I've had my own 'idiot' moment with backups. I have an incremental backup scheme for all my data, which goes to 2 separate hard drives, and I back up regularly. Then one day my PC data drive was accidentally formatted, but I wasn't worried as I had the backups. Unfortunately, I then discovered that, when specifying what files/folders to back up, I'd managed not to tick my Lightroom catalog (i.e. the '.lrcat' file). I therefore lost all the edits I'd ever made to my hundreds (or probably thousands) of RAW files :oops:

Graeme
My galleries (external link)

sponsored links

1,331 views & 0 likes for this thread
NOT the way to back up - A horror story!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.