Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 18 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 23:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

help with the raw file

bexi20
568 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 18, 2011 23:15 |  #1

Please confirm me if I do this correct, take picture in raw file then download it to Canon digital photo professional to correct the color then convert it to jpeg to photoshop/edit the picture in CS4.
Why I can not photoshop/edit the picture in raw file before convert it to jpeg. My CS4 won't recongnize the raw file.
Thanks

Canon 5D Mark II

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 19, 2011 00:29 |  #2

You can do all your Raw processing in Digital Photo Professional (DPP). After that you can, if needed, send the file to Photoshop using the Tools/Transfer to Photoshop function. The image will open in the Photoshop editor as a tiff (it won't save the tiff until you save it in Photoshop.

The reason you can't open the Raw file in Photoshop is likely that your camera is newer than the version of Photoshop you are using -- you can run the Bridge Help/Update utility to see if that helps, but otherwise DPP should do just fine. When you process a Raw file in DPP, the adjustments will not be available outside of DPP until you either do the Transfer to Photoshop function or, alternatively, do a Convert and Save (or Batch Process) and convert to a tiff or jpeg.

But just be aware that DPP has some very nice processing capabilities for those Raw files. Take the time to learn to use the tools and you may find little need for Photoshop.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,207 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 19, 2011 01:48 |  #3

I believe version 5.7 of the ACR plugin will support the 7D, so as Tony said ^^, check for updates to Photoshop and this should install the latest raw plugin.

Kev

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
4,004 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 19, 2011 06:39 |  #4

Yep, update ACR to 5.7. Assume you have windows - Click ACR5.7 (external link)

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

bexi20
THREAD ­ STARTER
568 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 19, 2011 08:08 as a reply to  @ D Thompson's post |  #5

Thanks I will look into update my DPP.

Canon 5D Mark II

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 19, 2011 12:32 |  #6

I looked it up and it looks like CS4 will support the 7D if you update Camera Raw, so that is the thing to do. In Bridge use the Help/Update utility.

DPP is still a nice tool to have and play with, though.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
4,004 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 19, 2011 17:26 |  #7

bexi20 wrote in post #11671468 (external link)
Thanks I will look into update my DPP.

You need to update ACR, which I posted a link for.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

sponsored links

1,484 views & 0 likes for this thread
help with the raw file
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.