Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Jan 2011 (Thursday) 10:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

can someone check this for me? (color check)

x0SiN0x
238 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 20, 2011 10:21 |  #1

*edit*
Think I figured it out, though need to research how color management is working within windows vs my mac.

Seems the small version didn't take the embed srgb profile option, so looked really off on all my windows machines and even worse in IE.

thanks all for the input, i was looking at the wrong place the whole time. But after some verification of color i was put on track to find it out (also that link PhotosGuy provided hinted me off to what it was)
*/edit*

I processed this image on my laptop (what I think is calibrated monitor, but now not sure - used a spyder3). this image loads fine on my laptop but on all my other computers (albeit not calibrated) they all show a hint of green in this photo and on the iphone/ipad its almost a pale color as if shes sick.

Can you let me know if the skin tone looks good on this image? Either my laptop is totally off or all my other monitors have the same level of bad color :(

*click for larger*

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

x0SiN0x AKA Tony - SiN is a (video) game name, nothing more!
Still learning (yes, newb) like some of you here, so please take any recommendations/opinio​ns with that in mind.
-[SmugMug (external link) | Gear | Feedback]-

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 20, 2011 10:53 |  #2

I'M ON MY LAPTOP, too, & the skin tones look a tiny bit pink. As a rough check, have you checked to see what the RGB values of a known white or gray in the image read? They should be pretty close.
Or try using a "standard" file? See the PDI_Target_AdobeRGB.jp​g test files at the bottom of:
http://www.gballard.ne​t/psd/srgbforwww.html (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 20, 2011 11:07 |  #3

On my MacBook I'd see the tiny pinkish in the skin tones like Frank. I'll check on my calibrated desktop when I get back to it shortly.

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

TTk
Goldmember
2,518 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 20, 2011 11:17 as a reply to  @ Rubi Jane's post |  #4

A hint of red on the face from my cal' screen.;)

Terry.:cool:
http://www.terrykirton.co/ (external link)
http://www.ttkphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
http://www.langtoftpho​tography.com/ (external link)

(external link)

x0SiN0x
THREAD ­ STARTER
238 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 20, 2011 11:24 |  #5

PhotosGuy wrote in post #11678731 (external link)
I'M ON MY LAPTOP, too, & the skin tones look a tiny bit pink. As a rough check, have you checked to see what the RGB values of a known white or gray in the image read? They should be pretty close.
Or try using a "standard" file? See the PDI_Target_AdobeRGB.jp​g test files at the bottom of:
http://www.gballard.ne​t/psd/srgbforwww.html (external link)

As I look at it again on my laptop I can see maybe a hint of pink. so that's at least closer to what i'm seeing vs all my other monitors. I did a gray card and tried out the colorchecker passport in the same test session (was just playing around with new backdrops)... but then went into photoshop to play around with settings, could have pushed something a little too far with the reds.

I did however change from adobergb to srgb in photoshop. Never seen that pop up when I went to save from photoshop (do 99% of my work in lightroom), used to it just saying "embed srgb profile" - maybe I messed it up there too and my other computers are not seeing it or liking something with it... not sure, this is the first time ive ever really had that bad of a color shift from computer to computer - what really threw me off was all my other monitors were similar in color vs my "calibrated" display

im going to check out those images on the link provided, thanks never seen that before.

thanks!

Still learning (yes, newb) like some of you here, so please take any recommendations/opinio​ns with that in mind.

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 20, 2011 11:57 as a reply to  @ post 11678988 |  #6

One problem viewing it through a non-color managed browser and/or a normal gamut monitor, it's tagged in ProPhoto RGB.

Taking a CMYK color reading, from right between her eyebrows, the Magenta value is slightly higher than the Yellow.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

Redcrown
344 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 20, 2011 13:09 |  #7

Looks OK to me, but you will get different opinions, simply because of different personal tastes and differences in human perception. Not to mention differences in monitors, even "calibrated" monitors.

Best way to cut through those differences in to look at the numbers. A while back I wrote about a technique to analyze the numbers in skin tones, and posted it here:

http://forums.dpreview​.com …rum=1006&messag​e=37129263 (external link)

Here is a sample of that technique used on your image. It is a "mask" showing the balance of magenta and yellow, which are the key elements of skin tone. In the left image, lighter tones show where yellow exceeds magenta. In the right image, lighter tones show where magenta exceeds yellow. Don't pay any attention to hair, eyes, lips. Just look at the skin areas.

http://kellyphoto.smug​mug.com/photos/1162723​804_87Cdn-O.jpg (external link)

IMAGE: http://kellyphoto.smugmug.com/photos/1162723804_87Cdn-O.jpg
Overall, this analysis says you image is in good shape. Magenta exceeds yellow on the cheeks, chin, and nose. That means they look a little "pink", which is normal. Yellow exceeds magenta only down the right side of her face. But well within a "normal" range. On the majority of her face, yellow and magenta are equal. Common guidelines call for yellow and magenta to be equal, with yellow slightly greater. Common guidelines say magenta should never exceed yellow.

But then personal taste enters the equation. Some people like "rosey red cheeks" where magenta would exceed yellow. Some women apply "rouge" makeup to get that effect. Some people think "tan" skin looks healthier, with yellow greater than magenta by 10% to 25%.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 20, 2011 16:33 |  #8

I will say (adding to Chas's comment) that it makes a big difference if you are looking at it in a color-managed app -- looking at it in my non-color managed IE makes it look way coolish. in other words, uploading this in the ProPhotoRGB will throw a lot of people off in viewing it. Converting it to sRGB will make it more universally viewable.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Peano
Goldmember
1,778 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 20, 2011 17:18 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #9

Yes, stick to sRGB for the web.

IMAGE: http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8229/kristinacompare.jpg

In sRGB, skin tones need only a tweak.

IMAGE: http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/6476/kristinaadjust.jpg

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

x0SiN0x
THREAD ­ STARTER
238 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 20, 2011 17:52 |  #10

Thanks all! This was quite a learning experience

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 20, 2011 17:55 |  #11

Peano, exactly! And, in DPP I did a very simple pulling down on the Red curve to get a very similar look to yours (and just a bit on the Blue). The reds are indeed a bit over the top on the original.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Jan 20, 2011 20:55 |  #12

Redcrown wrote in post #11679599 (external link)
Looks OK to me, but you will get different opinions, simply because of different personal tastes and differences in human perception. Not to mention differences in monitors, even "calibrated" monitors.

Best way to cut through those differences in to look at the numbers. A while back I wrote about a technique to analyze the numbers in skin tones, and posted it here:

http://forums.dpreview​.com …rum=1006&messag​e=37129263 (external link)

Here is a sample of that technique used on your image. It is a "mask" showing the balance of magenta and yellow, which are the key elements of skin tone. In the left image, lighter tones show where yellow exceeds magenta. In the right image, lighter tones show where magenta exceeds yellow. Don't pay any attention to hair, eyes, lips. Just look at the skin areas.

http://kellyphoto.smug​mug.com/photos/1162723​804_87Cdn-O.jpg (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
Overall, this analysis says you image is in good shape. Magenta exceeds yellow on the cheeks, chin, and nose. That means they look a little "pink", which is normal. Yellow exceeds magenta only down the right side of her face. But well within a "normal" range. On the majority of her face, yellow and magenta are equal. Common guidelines call for yellow and magenta to be equal, with yellow slightly greater. Common guidelines say magenta should never exceed yellow.

But then personal taste enters the equation. Some people like "rosey red cheeks" where magenta would exceed yellow. Some women apply "rouge" makeup to get that effect. Some people think "tan" skin looks healthier, with yellow greater than magenta by 10% to 25%.

I was looking at your post on dpreview....did you happen to create an action for those steps?

Jason

Redcrown
344 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 20, 2011 23:18 |  #13

I've got an action for my own use. But it's not "polished" for publication, and has no documentation. But if you want to try it, here's a download.

http://www.mediafire.c​om/?7a3b2all4fg26c8 (external link)

Basics:

Run it with only one document open.

It creates a layer group in your document with pre-built Curves to reduce Magenta and Yellow. The masks are in the Curves layers. Both Curves are turned off by default. Turn one or both on. Usually you need only one.

Paint black on the Group layer mask to hide areas outside of the skin you want to adjust. Adjust the opacity of the Group or Curves layer to taste.

The action creates a dupe of your doc, converts the dupe to CMYK mode, creates the masks there, and copies them back to your original. Then it deletes the temp CMYK doc. Because is uses a temp dupe, the action won't work correctly if you have multiple docs open. So run it with only your main doc open.

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Jan 21, 2011 15:55 |  #14

Thanks for sharing!

Jason

sponsored links

3,741 views & 0 likes for this thread
can someone check this for me? (color check)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.