Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Jan 2011 (Friday) 14:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

xD to 1D users - question on focus points

x0SiN0x
238 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 21, 2011 14:00 |  #1

I recently took the plunge and ordered a second body so I can have a backup and figured this round I’d go with a 1 series. So I’m coming from a 5D Mark II (20D prior to that) to a 1D Mark IV, one of which I find the outer focus points for the most part useless (more so with moving subjects) and the other I can’t want to try out. So my question is, with a 1 series body do you still focus and recompose using the center point? For sports, do you still use the center point or do use a point that works for the composition you’re after?

I’ve run a few searches on this question and while I’ve found some useful information nothing really addresses what I’m looking for. I’ve had this 'center point focus/recompose' and 'shoot wide/crop (moving subjects) composition later' mentality for so long with the 5d/20d that having a camera that can focus well (and a lot more what seem to be useful focus points) will be something new. Now I’m not saying the 5d mark ii focus sucks, but it has its drawbacks for sure – so please keep this question from spawning a bunch of “the 5D is great, learn how to focus”.

Thanks

x0SiN0x AKA Tony - SiN is a (video) game name, nothing more!
Still learning (yes, newb) like some of you here, so please take any recommendations/opinio​ns with that in mind.
-[SmugMug (external link) | Gear | Feedback]-

sponsored links
evilr00t
304 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 21, 2011 14:07 |  #2

x0SiN0x wrote in post #11686772 (external link)
I recently took the plunge and ordered a second body so I can have a backup and figured this round I’d go with a 1 series. So I’m coming from a 5D Mark II (20D prior to that) to a 1D Mark IV, one of which I find the outer focus points for the most part useless (more so with moving subjects) and the other I can’t want to try out. So my question is, with a 1 series body do you still focus and recompose using the center point? For sports, do you still use the center point or do use a point that works for the composition you’re after?

I’ve run a few searches on this question and while I’ve found some useful information nothing really addresses what I’m looking for. I’ve had this 'center point focus/recompose' and 'shoot wide/crop (moving subjects) composition later' mentality for so long with the 5d/20d that having a camera that can focus well (and a lot more what seem to be useful focus points) will be something new. Now I’m not saying the 5d mark ii focus sucks, but it has its drawbacks for sure – so please keep this question from spawning a bunch of “the 5D is great, learn how to focus”.

Thanks

I no longer focus and recompose on the 1D. For sports, well, I don't shoot sports, but I think the new 2009+ cameras are the only ones to start AI Servo on non-center AF points.

XTi, 1D3, 2x SB-28, 580EX, 550EX, Tamron 28-75, 50/1.8, "EF" 18-55 II, "EF" 18-55 IS, 85/1.8, 75-300 III USM, 70-200/4L

joeseph
"smells like turd"
11,036 posts
Gallery: 200 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 21, 2011 14:09 |  #3

I generally use the closest focus point. (MK III)

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

x0SiN0x
THREAD ­ STARTER
238 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 21, 2011 14:18 |  #4

evilr00t wrote in post #11686800 (external link)
I no longer focus and recompose on the 1D. For sports, well, I don't shoot sports, but I think the new 2009+ cameras are the only ones to start AI Servo on non-center AF points.

that's interesting, wasn't aware of that

Still learning (yes, newb) like some of you here, so please take any recommendations/opinio​ns with that in mind.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 21, 2011 14:19 |  #5

I think you have the luxury of center focusing the 1dmk4 and crop/tweek your composition in post when shooting sports. In many cases you'll see alot of sports photos having the subject in the center.

I almost automatically have a different mentality when I shoot with my 1dmk3. I focus with the outer points all of the time and compose the photo this way. When I use my 5dc or 5dmk2 my "mode" changes and I focus/recompose on super slow subject in good light OR center focus/recompose where I CANNOT screw up or miss the shot. These have worked for me but everyone gets there way of doing certain things.

When I had the 50D I would use the limited 9 points with cross sensors and then focus on the "closest" outer point then recompose a hair. With the 1dmk3 it extends far enough in most cases to hit the shot without moving the camera.

Question off topic is how do you like the IQ of the 1dmk4 compared to your 5dmk2???? My photos I did with a 24L has given me similar IQ of the 1d3 but better ISO performance. Thats alot of beans!! for better ISO but my "likes" is AF focus points in the 1d3.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 21, 2011 14:40 as a reply to  @ AlanU's post |  #6

Definitely no prblem using any focus point on a 1-series... the 7D is a xD too of course and all its 19 AF points are excellent also.

Portfolio - Fashion/Beauty (external link)
Portfolio - Kids (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

x0SiN0x
THREAD ­ STARTER
238 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 21, 2011 15:11 |  #7

Rai33 wrote in post #11686975 (external link)
Definitely no prblem using any focus point on a 1-series... the 7D is a xD too of course and all its 19 AF points are excellent also.

true, should have excluded that one from my initial comparison. When it came down to which to get - the 7d was high on the list, but figured I had the cash from a previous project so why not indulge myself :cool:

AlanU wrote in post #11686866 (external link)
Question off topic is how do you like the IQ of the 1dmk4 compared to your 5dmk2???? My photos I did with a 24L has given me similar IQ of the 1d3 but better ISO performance. Thats alot of beans!! for better ISO but my "likes" is AF focus points in the 1d3.

I havent gotten my hands on it yet actually, comes in Monday or Tuesday I believe. My *guess* is the images wont be all that different based on the quality reviews of the 5dmk2.

Thanks so far for all the replies, sounds like im good to go experimenting with all the focus points which will be a big change from what im used to.

autoal
48 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 21, 2011 16:04 |  #8

Making the change from a 5Dc and 30D to a 1DIV, I found it was a nice change to be able to use all of the focus points as opposed to a focus and recompose that I had used before. It took a little getting used to, but it didn't take long, and now I am spoiled :D

Al
1DIV / 30D / 24-70 / 70-200 f4IS / 50 1.4 / 100L Macro
Kenko PRO DG 1.4 TC / 430EX

sponsored links

1,372 views & 0 likes for this thread
xD to 1D users - question on focus points
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.