Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jan 2011 (Saturday) 10:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Battery life and buffered data

palwin
137 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 22, 2011 10:29 |  #1

When I was out other day in the cold weather and took a bunch of pictures I was wondering... What happens if the batteries die while the camera is processing buffered data? Does the buffered data get destroyed (corrupt or missing images) if you have to change batteries?

Batteries tend to die rather quickly in the during the winter season so would good to know.

Tobias
Flickr (external link) | Gear

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 22, 2011 11:15 |  #2

The camera has a fail safe that cuts out before the batteries internal cut off kicks in. It will just not allow you to keep shooting but it will continue to write to the card.

And lithium batteries work best at 106 degrees F and the lower the temperature, the less voltage they produce and thus the camera will shut down sooner then normal because it detects voltage to determine for battery life.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D MK II Gripped | 7D Gripped |17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 60mm F2.8 Macro | 135mm F2L | 70-200mm F4L IS |

Andy ­ R
Goldmember
1,856 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 22, 2011 11:38 |  #3

i have shot in 0 degrees F and the batterie lasted all afternoon, and i filled a 4 gig card and a two gig card, if you have a spare batt, keep it in your pocket and it will stay warm until you need it

5Dii ~ 80D
Canon 14L ~ Canon 24-105L mkII ~ Canon 50 f1.8 STM ~ Canon 135L ~ Sigma 100-400 ~ Canon 1.4x mkII

palwin
THREAD ­ STARTER
137 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 22, 2011 11:51 |  #4

Good to know there's a fail-safe, thought it might be something like that.

I had two batteries last only two hours in about -20C degrees but not too sure they were fully charged, I doubt it. I always have 4-5 batteries with me so I'm not too worried about the batteries.

Tobias
Flickr (external link) | Gear

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

777 views & 0 likes for this thread
Battery life and buffered data
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.