Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 23 Jan 2011 (Sunday) 21:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

literal cave wedding

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 23, 2011 21:33 |  #1

Anyone here actually shoot a ceremony in a literal cave before?
i tell ya, i'm super excited to get this gig, as its just so different for me.
some of places i've shot in before felt like caves (light wise) but this is first for me.

anyone else ever have an opportunity like this?
any suggestions/words of advice?

i'm sure i'll be using off camera flash, along with maxing out iso and aperatures, fast primes, IS on zooms, tripod if necessary, etc. etc.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

sponsored links
mathogre
Goldmember
3,624 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 23, 2011 22:55 |  #2

bigarchi wrote in post #11701466 (external link)
any suggestions/words of advice?

Yes. Scope the site. Bring the happy couple with you so you can test some shots. Play with lighting, angles, et al. If you can't get the happy couple, bring a couple of friends and have them play models. That's what I'd want to do. Enjoy and have fun!

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 24, 2011 07:53 |  #3

mathogre wrote in post #11701999 (external link)
Scope the site.

great idea. too bad the place is like a 3-1/2 hr drive each way.
luckily its not until the fall, so i might have a chance to swing by between now and then.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 24, 2011 10:52 |  #4

not sure if the cave is a popular place for weddings but you might find photos of it online that would help. google the town that the cave is in and see what comes up.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

wdwpsu
625 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 24, 2011 12:15 |  #5

A cave really isn't much different than shooting outside at night. Fast glass + High ISO + 2 or 3 lights on stands shining in to room + speedlite on camera w/ roge flash bender.

I'd also find out if they are paying for lighting, and I'd also find out of their entertainment is providing any lighting..

Wedding and Event Photography ∙ Orlando, Florida ∙ DSWfoto.com (external link)
Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 24, 2011 12:32 |  #6

I actually considered a cave for my own wedding! But in the end opted for a tree house instead. :) I've shot in some interesting places but never a cave! Sounds like fun!

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 24, 2011 15:40 |  #7

suecassidy wrote in post #11704446 (external link)
not sure if the cave is a popular place for weddings but you might find photos of it online that would help. google the town that the cave is in and see what comes up.

the cave is Howe's cavern, and unfortunately the photos i've been finding online are less than inspirational.
mostly just point and shoot, direct flash.
and none of them give me any sense of the space, just photos with people standing in front of rock :)

wdwpsu wrote in post #11704916 (external link)
A cave really isn't much different than shooting outside at night. Fast glass + High ISO + 2 or 3 lights on stands shining in to room + speedlite on camera w/ roge flash bender.

i completely agree. i think that is how i'm going to aproach it.

wdwpsu wrote in post #11704916 (external link)
I'd also find out if they are paying for lighting, and I'd also find out of their entertainment is providing any lighting..

unfortunately only the ceremony itself is in the cave, the reception will be in a normal reception hall.
I'm not sure what the lighting is down there yet, but dj lighting won't be of any consequence.
but good thinkin :)

PeaceFire wrote in post #11704983 (external link)
I actually considered a cave for my own wedding! But in the end opted for a tree house instead. :) I've shot in some interesting places but never a cave! Sounds like fun!

i think it should be fun! the couple seems to be fun, and they are all about the venue, so that'll make all the difference in the world.
i might be able to get them to even do a TTD wearing miner's helmets and lights in some of the more remote sections of the caverns :) *fingers crossed*
Its too bad its just the ceremony below ground, but i'm still pumped.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

howzitboy
Goldmember
2,948 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 17, 2011 13:57 |  #8

have your assistant dress up like batman then lurk around in the background of your pictures!!

boy, that would be a fun assignment! make sure u show us your pictures!!

http://onehourwedding.​blogspot.com/ (external link)

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 17, 2011 20:00 |  #9

howzitboy wrote in post #11862412 (external link)
have your assistant dress up like batman then lurk around in the background of your pictures!!

boy, that would be a fun assignment! make sure u show us your pictures!!

genius! hahaha

funny timing, there is totally a bat flying around in my attic as we speak!

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

pgriedl
41 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 21, 2011 14:55 |  #10

Sounds like a lot of fun! Best of luck!

Paul
5D, 7D, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 IS L, 24 TS-E, 580 ex (x2)

elevenbangbang
91 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 21, 2011 19:02 |  #11

Sounds like a fun gig! I'm sure all of the photos will come out very interesting.

sponsored links

1,933 views & 0 likes for this thread
literal cave wedding
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.