Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 06:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for those who went from 50D to 5D

AllisonFaith
115 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 25, 2011 06:46 |  #1

I think I want to go full frame, but can't afford a new camera. My best bet would be trade in my 50d and buy used 5d at this point. I want to know others who did the same, were you happy with your choice? Or did you regret it? What were the positives/negatives you saw when making the switch?

Flickr (external link)
50d, 50/1.4, 35/2, 430exii

sponsored links
lsuber
502 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 25, 2011 07:08 |  #2

Not exactly your situation, but I recently sold my 40D for a move to a 5D and really have enjoyed the full-frame body. For me, it was worth it to make the switch. As others will probably state as well, it depends on what you shoot and what you want the 5D for that your 50D isn't doing as well. I don't do a lot of fast-action sports or birding, so a 5D was beneficial to me. I occasionally do miss live view, but it's infrequent and the farther away I get from having had the 40D the less I miss it. The 5D is a really great camera.

The 5D sensor is right up there with the best Canon has ever made (I'm not stating it's best body ever made; there are bodies with better AF, sensor cleaning, etc). Many think it's actually the best Canon sensor there is, but the 1Ds2 guys would argue that that's the best sensor, but it's an interesting debate to read if you run some searches.

In any case, it's a great camera and one that's well worth a move to from a 40D/50D/60D body if it meets your needs.

Canon 5D Mark II | 28-70mm f/2.8L USM | Σ 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS | 85mm f/1.2L USM | Σ 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro | LR5 | PS CS5

Gedanken
741 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 25, 2011 07:12 |  #3

Not sure how much help I'd be, but I went from the 50D to the 5D and kept the 50D.

Full frame opened up a whole new world for me - it didn't take long at all for me to take 80% of my shots with the 5D.

As a quick comparison between the two:

1) the 5D's IQ blows the 50D's clean out of the water
2) if you love bokeh, the 5D's a no-brainer
3) if you want high FPS, the 50D's a no-brainer
4) I really don't like the floppy action of the 5D's mirror - the sharp snap of the 50D's mirror just feel so good
5) I hate the 5D's LCD - good thing I prefer to review my photos on the computer

Hope this helps.

Gear List

AllisonFaith
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 25, 2011 07:31 |  #4

I take pictures mostly of families/children/some​times babies (still learning that one!).

gedanken, what do you mean by 4) flopping mirror action on the 5D?

I really love the 3d look of a full frame camera.

Flickr (external link)

Gedanken
741 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 25, 2011 07:48 |  #5

The 5D's mirror doesn't feel as precise as the 50D's - it just feels like it flops up and down when you press the shutter button.

Gear List

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 25, 2011 08:32 |  #6

I went from a 20D to a 5D, so the only thing I think is similar enough to comment on is FF vs crop. I still have the 20D as a backup, but I have not used it once since getting the 5D. FF, and the 5D in general is a whole new world. I'll never go back to crop. Ever.

That being said, fps will suffer noticeably, if you shoot sports, you may not like the 5D at all.

I'm not sure what the 50D mirror sounds like, but I prefer the sound of the 5D over the 20D. 5D sounds more 'electrical', where to me the 20D was more mechanical.. it probably won't make sense until you use it in person.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

lsuber
502 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 25, 2011 08:35 |  #7

Gedanken wrote in post #11710175 (external link)
it didn't take long at all for me to take 80% of my shots with the 5D.

And that's coming from someone who (according to the signature line) owns a 1Ds3, so that tells us all something about the 5D's image quality.

The mirror/shutter definitely makes a different sound than my 40D did, but I figured it had to do with it being a much larger mirror having to reflex. It hasn't bothered me a bit, and I don't even notice it as being different from the 40D's anymore.

If you shoot mainly people, a full frame body would definitely be an upgrade.

Canon 5D Mark II | 28-70mm f/2.8L USM | Σ 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS | 85mm f/1.2L USM | Σ 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro | LR5 | PS CS5

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 25, 2011 08:35 |  #8

Oh, and if you don't mind Allison.. slightly of topic. I see you use an interesting, but consistent, post-process technique on your flickr images.. looks like a bit of saturation, vignetting? I really like it.. would you care to comment a bit on that, just an overview of what you're doing there?

Of course I know some people like their secrets,so if you'd rather not share, that's fine too. :)

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,044 posts
Gallery: 180 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Jan 25, 2011 08:44 |  #9

I have both a 50D and a 5D, and I can't imagine not having either one. I use the 50D for about 70% of my images. But then again, I shoot wildlife, where the crop effect actually helps me get more pixels on the subject.

I checked out your FlickR, and I would say that for what you shoot, the 5D would probably suit your needs better than the 50D.

After shooting tens of thousands of images with each of these bodies, I have the following observations to share:

With the 5D, you can shoot at 800 ISO in almost any situation. In my opinion, the amount of noise in out-of-focus areas of images taken with the 50D is not acceptable, so I feel that I can only shoot the 50D at 400 ISO. You will, in essence, gain a whole stop if you switch to the 5D.

The LCD screen on the 5D is horrible, whereas the 50D's LCD is wonderful. I like to take many images of a subject, and to constantly look at the images I'm shooting on the LCD, so that I can know what adjustments to make. I honestly cannot do this with the 5D, as the LCD is so poor that I cannot even tell whether an image is razor sharp, or just a hair off. Neither can I see how much contrast I am getting by looking at an image on the 5D's LCD. This costs me image quality, as I cannot always know if I need to make a small adjustment or not. With the 50D, I have no problem using the LCD review to determine what needs to be adjusted for the next shots.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

tomme
Goldmember
1,263 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 25, 2011 09:08 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #10

I did go from the 50D to 5D, IQ is better and the ISO! Viewfinder is little bigger also.

The thing i noticed from the 50D and 5D was the AF and the shutter sound and feel was better on the 50D.

I dont regret it, but it would be nice to had the 50D a backup because of the crop and af for sports or birds.

Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

AllisonFaith
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 25, 2011 09:23 |  #11

Everyone, thanks so much for the replies. I think I am sold on buying a used 5D. I don't take that many pictures of sports, well maybe when my kids get older I will.

I always hear about the bad LCD screen on the 5D, but is that for looking at the photo after you take it or for menu preferences and histograms? I don't really trust my screens on my other cameras, I feel like images always look great on the screen, but it may be a different story once you upload. On my 50D, I meter and trust the it, which usually comes out great for me.

Brandonsi - not sure which photos you refer to, I do struggle finding my "style" with colors. I did go though a big phase of, as you were correct, vignetting and upping saturation. Most of the time I would do a curve bump and then do a layer of levels with both ends pulled in.

Flickr (external link)

dzaneh
936 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 25, 2011 10:06 |  #12

I did I dug it was glad I made the switch...but... I sold it & got a 1DsII ... ;)

stuff

murkeywaters
229 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 25, 2011 10:28 |  #13

I just answered a similar question in another post, I went from a 300D and 40D to FF, here is what I wrote;

I have had a 300D and a 40D, I then got a 5D classic, business grew and I now have a 5D2 and 1Ds2, I just love FF but you have to pair it with nice gLass or the FF sensor can out resolutionize the lens.
The 5D classic is a really good camera, helps a lot when it is gripped but image quality is outstanding, or for a few £££ more if you look and search wisely you can pickup a 1Ds2 for very very good prices now bearing in mind it was a 5K camera a few years ago, just got mine for a tad over £1000.

The camera is just a storage box, it's the gLass in front that makes the image...

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,802 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 25, 2011 10:34 |  #14

I have no regrets to use Tamron 28-75 and Nifty Fifty on 5D.
The book I’m currently reading is about kids portraits. About 50% of pictures at this book were taken with 5D and with non L lens. No resolution issues at all.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Indysdesigningwoman
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 25, 2011 10:37 |  #15

Hey great information. I cant wait to get my first Canon camera. Thanks for the info.

Hand Painted Furniture (external link)

sponsored links

6,130 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for those who went from 50D to 5D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.