Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 25 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 12:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Launched a newly redesigned website

Tawcan
Goldmember
2,679 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 25, 2011 12:22 |  #1

Spent the last few weeks redesigning my website. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.boblai.com (external link)

There are a few more things I'm going to add to optimize SEO but if anyone has any suggestions that'd be much appreciated. Thanks.

boblai.com (external link) |Facebook Fanpage (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
dix
34 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 25, 2011 22:32 |  #2

I like it. Nice and clean, nice photos.

3 things I noticed:
- the 'Blog' link while you are on the blog page is broken (its linking to blog.html vs /blog/) (also portofilo one is broken too)
- referring to yourself in the 3rd person on the contact page is somewhat weird (its a personal site with personal domain, dont be affraid to use first person imo)
- i realize that the blog is '3rd party' but is there anyway to use the same skin as the rest of your page?

Tawcan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,679 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 26, 2011 00:27 |  #3

dix wrote in post #11715218 (external link)
I like it. Nice and clean, nice photos.

3 things I noticed:
- the 'Blog' link while you are on the blog page is broken (its linking to blog.html vs /blog/) (also portofilo one is broken too)
- referring to yourself in the 3rd person on the contact page is somewhat weird (its a personal site with personal domain, dont be affraid to use first person imo)
- i realize that the blog is '3rd party' but is there anyway to use the same skin as the rest of your page?

Thanks didn't spot the blog link on the blog page.

What did you mean that portfolio one is broken? Which page are you referring to?

I'm working on the blog still. :)

Thanks for your input.

boblai.com (external link) |Facebook Fanpage (external link) | Flickr (external link)

martkal44
245 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 26, 2011 03:39 |  #4

It looks good to me. Only thing I maybe would say is agreeing with dix about the 'about' page.

I did the same, wrote my about me in 3rd person and had the feedback of basically its a personal page and you should write it personal to you, ie 1st person.

iTunes Series CodEye - CodEye (external link)
CodEye on YouTube - CodEye (external link)
Golf Course & Event Photography - www.kaluzaimages.com (external link)
Other Photography - http://www.facebook.co​m/martinkaluzaphotogra​phy (external link)

dix
34 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 26, 2011 05:30 |  #5

Tawcan wrote in post #11715764 (external link)
What did you mean that portfolio one is broken? Which page are you referring to?

Goto http://www.boblai.com/​blog/ (external link) and then click on 'Portfolio' -> it goes to http://www.boblai.com/​people.html (external link) when it should be going to http://boblai.com/port​raits.html (external link) (I assume).

Another thing that could be helpful going forward is to 'trim' the .html from the links. Instead of http://boblai.com/port​raits.html (external link) try having it go to http://boblai.com/port​folio/portraits (external link) (to do this, change portraits.html to default.html (or whatever the default page is on your server) and place it in a 'portraits' folder). Id move the 'sub pages' for portraits below this folder too so that http://boblai.com/life​style.html (external link) turns into http://boblai.com/port​folio/lifestyle/. (external link) This can help for any changes you do later on, plus help seo a touch.

lookingforaname
820 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 26, 2011 08:36 |  #6

On your portfolio page, your intro portraits shots (the vampire girl on the beach) are not your best, nor are they very universally appealing - I'd stick those in the back somewhere and choose something else to be the intro shot.

Love the site otherwise.

June Day Photography - Junedayphoto.com (external link)

Tawcan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,679 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 26, 2011 11:51 |  #7

Thanks dix, didn't notice that. I'll definitely look into the subfolder idea.

lookingforaname - thanks I'll take a look at using a different pic. :)

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 26, 2011 16:36 |  #8

Not a big deal, but I use a 1024 x 768 monitor and I have scroll right to see basically empty space. I would just shrink it it fit. SEO-wise, I would like to see more text on your home page, but I'm sure your not going to do that.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

Tawcan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,679 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 26, 2011 16:53 |  #9

Hikin Mike wrote in post #11720032 (external link)
Not a big deal, but I use a 1024 x 768 monitor and I have scroll right to see basically empty space. I would just shrink it it fit. SEO-wise, I would like to see more text on your home page, but I'm sure your not going to do that.

What do you mean more text? More meta data or actual text on the page?

Hikin ­ Mike
6,352 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 26, 2011 16:54 |  #10

Tawcan wrote in post #11720131 (external link)
What do you mean more text? More meta data or actual text on the page?

Actual text. Why? Read my SEO for the Photographer link in my sig. ;)

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)

dix
34 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 26, 2011 23:29 |  #11

Hikin Mike wrote in post #11720142 (external link)
Actual text. Why? Read my SEO for the Photographer link in my sig. ;)

further to this, I just realised that the services page is an image. It should really be text - again for helping with SEO but mainly consistency and appearance (an aside, on the web things that are text/blocky should be gifs, jpegs are better for photos etc).

Rankinia
449 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 27, 2011 05:02 |  #12

On your about page the word "amiable". Im not sure if it is a word.

1ds, 30d, 17-40/4 180/3.5, mt-24, 580ex2
http://adamrose.wordpr​ess.com (external link)

WISTOOCK
64 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 27, 2011 07:09 |  #13

Great site, beautifully designed!!! ...and one of the most enjoyable portfolio, I´ve ever seen.
Congratulations!

Nature Photography and conservation of Bolivian montane forest:
http://diversidadentre​pendientes.wordpress.c​om/ (external link)

Hikin ­ Mike
6,352 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 27, 2011 13:49 |  #14

Rankinia wrote in post #11723575 (external link)
On your about page the word "amiable". Im not sure if it is a word.

a·mi·a·ble/ˈāmēəbəl/

Adjective: Having or displaying a friendly and pleasant manner.

CallumPhoto
661 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 29, 2011 00:15 |  #15

I like your site, clean and neat. Looks good! I like that your folio images aren't always centered when they don't take up the whole width, personally I don't like (it's only minor) when you have two portrait images on each side with a gap in the middle. If you don't mind me asking how did you set up the gallery so that you click to go to the next image and it slides in nicely?

Callum Bright Photography; Website (external link) / Blog (external link) / Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

2,701 views & 0 likes for this thread
Launched a newly redesigned website
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.