Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 12:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another FD to EF permanent conversion....

funkyfones
350 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 25, 2011 12:26 |  #1

Ok so I was bored and as you do I started playing with an FD 28mm 2.8, I have a nifty fifty but find it too long indoors which is exactly where a fast lens is needed.

So anyway, stripped it down, ripped the guts out, removed the f stop clicks so it'd be smooth, attached the armature to the blades for full manual aperture control, slapped an m42 mount on the end and voila... infinity focus and smooth stops from 2.8 to 22.

I didnt think that using focus with 10x zoom enabled would be as good as it is but i'm surprised to say the least, next mission... same thing to a 1.2 or 1.4

I didnt think it'd work so never bothered with a step by step, maybe for the next one. It wasnt exactly easy but it wasnt rocket science either.

here it is on my 450

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

the usual battery test

HOSTED PHOTO

and the lens itself

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5255/5387567933_51a990fe1f_b.jpg

Anyones else had a go lately? lets see em.

Gear: Afew bodies and afew pieces of glass | Flickr (external link)| Lens/cameras repairs and for sale | (external link)Website for camera/lens repairs (external link)

sponsored links
sd850is
103 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 25, 2011 12:34 |  #2

did you follow a diy or something? I'd like to know how to do this

7D and T1i |17-55mm f/2.8|50mm f/1.4|Sigma 30mm f/1.4|70-200mm f/2.8L IS|55-250mm|580EXII
Feedback

silvrr
Goldmember
2,735 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 25, 2011 12:35 |  #3

Did you maintian infinity focus?

Canon 6D l 24-70 f/4L l 100L l 430EX l 430EX II l Kenko Extension Tubes l Sigma 50 Art
flickr (external link) FeedBack

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 25, 2011 12:36 |  #4

At infinity focus, how much does the rear element protrude past the M42 mount? People with a 5D or 5D II will want to know.

GEAR LIST

funkyfones
THREAD ­ STARTER
350 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 25, 2011 12:40 |  #5

Nope, I'v seen some diys for longer lenses like the 300 fd primes and afew blogs where people say 'I converted to EF' ect but none showing a step by step, then again I'v fixed a dozen lenses, sone fungus, some af problems, some error 99 and afew broken mounts, I wouldnt recommend to anyone who's never opened a lens before.

silvrr wrote in post #11711799 (external link)
Did you maintian infinity focus?

well minimum focus marked on the lens is 1 foot and sharpest focus at that setting is afew inches less than 1 foot so I assume it'l be linear all through the range, will check tomorrow when it gets bright.

gasrocks wrote in post #11711802 (external link)
At infinity focus, how much does the rear element protrude past the M42 mount? People with a 5D or 5D II will want to know.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear: Afew bodies and afew pieces of glass | Flickr (external link)| Lens/cameras repairs and for sale | (external link)Website for camera/lens repairs (external link)

Sp1207
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 25, 2011 16:07 |  #6

I would love to see a step by step or at least a rough guide -- I have never actually found one demonstrating the general process.

Gear

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 25, 2011 16:18 |  #7

That's way too much for infinity focus on a 5D. Thanks for sharing. The wide angle lenses are the hardest to convert for that reason.

GEAR LIST

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 07, 2011 06:08 |  #8

Sp1207 wrote in post #11713049 (external link)
I would love to see a step by step or at least a rough guide -- I have never actually found one demonstrating the general process.

Visit my homepage :-)
For the Fd 500/4.5L I have a rough DIY step by step guide.
For the FD300/2.8L, 400/2.8L, 100/4 and 85/1.2L are only German language pages on my homepage at the moment.

On my DIY photo link directory you will find links to other conversions.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

funkyfones
THREAD ­ STARTER
350 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 08, 2011 18:41 |  #9

I'm waiting on m42 adapters, I'm doing a tokina 24mm 2.8, another 28 2.8, a 70-210 3.5 and afew othersI just got a 135mm 2.8 in mint condition which is asking for a do over.
Whould have liked afew more english DIY's but its good work, bookmarked

GPFocussed
583 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 08, 2011 19:43 |  #10

ZoneV wrote in post #11793056 (external link)
Visit my homepage :-)
For the Fd 500/4.5L I have a rough DIY step by step guide.
For the FD300/2.8L, 400/2.8L, 85/1.2L and 85/1.2L are only German language pages on my homepage at the moment.

On my DIY photo link directory you will find links to other conversions.

You've got some very interesting articles on your site and incredible imagination to come up with some of those things you've done. Have you considered selling those adaptors at all as a kit?

[URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/Gear List"][URL="http://pho​tography-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=9541640&postcou​nt=2194"]Gear List

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 08, 2011 22:06 |  #11

wow...badass! I like it...I had the FD 28 2.8 (along with the 24 2.8) for my AE-1P and it's a great lens...well done :)

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 09, 2011 05:19 |  #12

At the moment I think about having a small quantity produced for my personal use - not sure which quantity I have to take from suppliers.
I still have some nFD lenses that need to be converted to EF mount - not only for personal use, but for curiosity.

For that I have to measure the main part for the iris coupling ring.
Because I am still thinking about buying a FD 400/2.8L I want to measure the iris holding ring too.
For my own 300mm/2.8L I am tinhing about an upgrade to the better parts - so I probably produce and measure a ring for that iris too.
Best would be to have a EF mount produced for me - a bit thicker than normal.

But I plan those parts for my own use - they have to be optimized for each lens modell. On the FD 85/1.2 a part should be shortend, for the longer lenses it would be better to have this part longer. And the crank has to be sawed, filed, drilled and bend for each lens.
So I do not think that is good as a commercial conversion set, because there is still some machining involved.
But for my conversions such parts could mimimize the effort from guessed 30 hours per "high end" lens conversions down to 5-10 hours.

funkyfones
THREAD ­ STARTER
350 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 09, 2011 07:39 |  #13

yeah its long process, that one was afew hrs each night (in between rounds of CSS) so it would have been 10ish hours total, each lens is different so no kit but similar principle.

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 09, 2011 10:15 |  #14

gasrocks wrote in post #11713104 (external link)
...The wide angle lenses are the hardest to convert for that reason.

I think some widenagle FD lenses do not fit to EOS 5D (without mirror shaving). But the conversion of the lens mount seems not more effort than the longer lenses - I think less.
The 85/1.2L is pretty hard due to its backlens that is fixed inside the mount.
The nFD 20/2.8 was much easier. But didn´t go to infinity on the 5D. So I don´t make it full ready.

funkyfones wrote in post #11807503 (external link)
... each lens is different so no kit but similar principle.

I suppose that the iris coupling ring I made could be used on many or even all nFD lenses - it only needs some easy modification to the lens type. Here this part (the pure aluminium one):

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/NewFD-Iris-Coupling-.jpg

The iris coupling is different from lens to lens, but the variation is not that big: For the longer lenses like 100/4, 300/2.8, 400/2.8 and 500/4.5 I need a crank.
Here a picture of the mentioned coupling ring with the crank mounted:

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Blenden-Uebertragungs-Ring-.jpg

For the shorter lenses like the 85/1.2, 50/1.8, 50/2.8 and as I remember 20/2.8 you need something like a fork.
This fork or a smaller crank could be screwed direct onto FD parts - like here on the Fd 100/4 macro:

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Blenden-Uebertragung-.jpg

For my better conversions I tried to work full reversibel - means that I don´t like to alter original Canon Fd parts, at least not i a manner that destroys the rebuild to Canon FD mount.

For some of the longer lenses like the 300/2.8L and 400/2.8 L one need to anchor the iris assembly to the outer tube. The original part for that is no longer used in my conversion way. Another way of conversion use that part longer - but can not fix the iris to it any longer.
At my 300/2.8 I did that with glue. Not the best. On the 400/2.8 I used my lathe to build a part for that:

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Iris-Mount-.jpg

In that image you see the long axial screws that can be used for position of that iris mount ring before it is clamped with the beveld screws to the outer tube of the lens.

For further conversions I plan a own EF mount that is a big thicker - and as ist seems at the moment the screw holes on all nFd lenses are the same.

sipix
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 29, 2012 10:23 |  #15

Hi
Do you think the modification of EOS body mount into FD body mount might be better for people having tons of FD lens?

Some people in China tried to do this kind of project but nothing posted.
Does anyone do like this?

sponsored links

5,722 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another FD to EF permanent conversion....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.