Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 13:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

rebel owners: SD card speed vs camera buffer - Q's on #of shots

anothernewb
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 25, 2011 13:29 |  #1

OK, hopefully this topic hasn't been beaten to death and I failed to properly search for it. If so, please feel free to point me to the appropriate thread.

Right now I have the XSi and am using sandisk ultra II's and I get 6 shots before the buffer fills up and drops shooting speed when shooting raw.

My question is for those that are using faster class 6 and 10 cards - what are your numbers like? I wonder if the class 10 cards will translate into more frames before I fill the buffer. I'm in the market for a bit more storage, and I am trying to quantify/verify the value of spending the cash on the newer high speed cards.

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 25, 2011 13:30 |  #2

I don't think you'll gain more space in the buffer but rather, you'll see the buffer empty faster.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

markol
841 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 25, 2011 13:33 |  #3

If you want maximum performance switch to JPEG. That and get a class 10 SD card.

www.borrowlenses.com (external link)

Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 25, 2011 15:10 |  #4

Six, wow I'm jealous, lol. The XS can only manage 3 before the buffer is plugged up. After that, with a class 6 card, it takes maybe 3 seconds to empty the buffer while "wait" is on the screen.

Markol is right, if you really need to burst something hoping to catch just the right moment with a Rebel, you'll probably want to shoot JPEG. Since I prefer the flexability of RAW (and don't often shoot action) it's not worth it for me.

I'll tell you though, when doing water drop macros, I sure wish it would handle more than 3 shots.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

Migz
25 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 25, 2011 18:04 |  #5

I also shoot with a XSI and use a PNY Pro class 10 card. (had to try it) Shooting Raw I still get 6, shooting Jpeg is way more than anyone needs. Shooting Raw is easier for me due to my skill level, so when I want to shoot sports or motorcycle racing it's Jpeg and triple checking my camera settings. If I like what I see in Jpeg I'll switch to M, Raw, and transfer my shutter speed and aperture settings with the hope that I can catch that 1 great shot with the burst of 6. (I only need 1):)

anothernewb
THREAD ­ STARTER
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 26, 2011 09:07 |  #6

Thanks for the info. looks like the cards are as capable as they will get with this body. Not that I'm complaining by any means. By the time my skills match the capability of the XSI, cell phone cameras will probably have the dynamic range of HDR on a 1 series body, and better resolution to boot.

I was just wondering more if I was hampering potential performance with a class 4 card. They were the fastest SD on the market when the XSi came out.

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

sponsored links

1,370 views & 0 likes for this thread
rebel owners: SD card speed vs camera buffer - Q's on #of shots
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.