Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

this thread is locked
KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 13, 2011 14:15 as a reply to  @ post 13539052 |  #3871

ching wrote in post #13538745 (external link)
I think it means 9 crosstype AF will still work at f8. It will have a lot more crosstype AF point in total.
If I remember correctly 1DX has 0 crosstype AF will work beyond f/5.6

Exactly right, the 1DX's new AF actually ditched the capability of working -at all- with any lens/TC combo with an effective aperture of f/8....

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #13539040 (external link)
Thats exactly what my issue is right now. My 5DMKII as you know doesn't have the great AF system that your 7D has, but I can't leave this camera, its too awesome elsewhere. So I've been on this Nikon crusade to see what I can do about it. The D700 looks like a great fix for me over in the Nikon world. You've given me inspiration that one can live in both worlds. I just need to do a few more jobs and get some funds to do it, lol...

So how do you feel about the whole Canon vs. Nikon debate with your two cameras?
Have you used a lot of lenses on each side to compare fairly?

^- Thats how I feel, Love the 5DII but hate the AF, the rumor that the 5DIII isnt going to fix the AF problem is definitely making me a little nervous...

And oh, I'd also say the 7D's AF isnt exactly "perfect" Its got its issues and quirks about it that make it frustrating to me at times...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 13, 2011 14:19 |  #3872

ching wrote in post #13538745 (external link)
I think it means 9 crosstype AF will still work at f8. It will have a lot more crosstype AF point in total.
If I remember correctly 1DX has 0 crosstype AF will work beyond f/5.6

OK, that makes more sense. If they spread out the other crosstype AF points like Canon, then that will be pretty slick.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 13, 2011 14:25 |  #3873

Thats exactly what my issue is right now. My 5DMKII as you know doesn't have the great AF system that your 7D has, but I can't leave this camera, its too awesome elsewhere. So I've been on this Nikon crusade to see what I can do about it. The D700 looks like a great fix for me over in the Nikon world. You've given me inspiration that one can live in both worlds. I just need to do a few more jobs and get some funds to do it, lol...

So how do you feel about the whole Canon vs. Nikon debate with your two cameras?

I think their cameras are kind of staggered. Canon doesn't have a D700 equivalent. Nikon doesn't have a 5D2 equivalent. I suppose the 7D and D7000 are similar? Nikon does however offer a camera that is one level below their flagship line that has almost all the flagship features, minus some things here and there. Canon seems to segment and cripple their cameras more than Nikon. This might change in the next iteration of cameras. Who knows?

As for lenses, IMO, Nikon had caught up very nicely. Prices have been trending upwards for both companies, so at this point, I think that's a moot point.

Quite obviously, there are many, many photographers using either brand that are doing just fine. There will always be room for improvement regardless of what you own.

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 13, 2011 14:31 |  #3874

Yeah I realize there aren't perfect equivalents to the bodies and lenses. I think the D700 has what I don't have in the 5DMKII and is close enough to the same, minus some video features, that I could be happy with both. I'm going to rent a D700 for sure and probably a few lenses.

ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 13, 2011 14:45 |  #3875

D700 has the best AF I have ever used, focus is dead-on on ever picture I had taken. This never happen to my 7D and I use them pretty much the same way ( single AF/ outer points)
The low MP count/ video is the only downside compares to 7D.

Glass is pretty much a wash between both camp. Nikon has lots of updated "G" lens since 2010 and they perform just as well as the L with similar build.
(The 14-24mm 2.8G and 24-70mm 2.8G are for sure better than L)

Nikon D800

vmlopes
Goldmember
4,917 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 13, 2011 14:54 |  #3876

I had a 5dmkII and made the jump to a D700 and would go so far as saying it's the camera the 5dmkii should have been, IMO better in every sense, if u can get used to the user interface you will be suitably impressed

video is not important to me btw.

Flickr (external link)
"I choose to live my life to a different tune of music., one which is not censored or wrapped so much with a blanket of over -regulation, Health & Safety gone mad, fear and blind compliance to anything you are told to do"........... Downfallen, RIP

ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 13, 2011 14:55 |  #3877

KenjiS wrote in post #13539069 (external link)
And oh, I'd also say the 7D's AF isnt exactly "perfect" Its got its issues and quirks about it that make it frustrating to me at times...

This is exactly how I felt, my 7D sometimes will blink red light to confirm focus really fast but when I review the picture it's OOF :confused:
Canon had already checked and calibrated with my lens

In dim light, D700 will take time to fine tune the AF. I can hear the lens motor doing micro fine tuning ( da...da...dadada...bib​i ! ) and the focus is just flawless

Nikon D800

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 13, 2011 15:06 |  #3878

Well I'm intrigued enough to want to rent a D700 and a prime or two, maybe that 24-70 and 50.
I'm very curious to say the least.

SuperHuman21
Goldmember
2,219 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 13, 2011 15:14 |  #3879

nicksan wrote in post #13538360 (external link)
I would assume the D4 is going to be the D3s replacement. Of course I don't know that for sure. If that's the case, then it can't be less than 5k. Probably closer to 6k.

KenjiS wrote in post #13539052 (external link)
I looked at it and thought the same thing, 11fps and the ISO ratings certainly seem in line with a D3s replacement more than a D3x one...

Everything I've read so far indicates this to be a terrible replacement. The improvements seem minor and I'd rather have this model focus on the ISO and the D4X on the MP. Hopefully, just hopefully, they'll come out with a D4s to solve this ISO issue.

D90, 105mm f/2.8, 18-105mm DX, D-Lite 2 it (3), 32" Photoflex softbox (2), Manfrotto 3021BN w/3047 head
Arthur
-Stones and Jewelry Photographer-

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 13, 2011 15:22 as a reply to  @ ching's post |  #3880

nicksan wrote in post #13537976 (external link)
Well, the D3s was at 5k+ right? So I'm guessing closer to the 1DX price point.
I like that they increased low light sensitivity. I felt that was lacking on the D700, D3, and D3s. Still, only 9 crosstype AF points eh? Boggles the mind.

The D700 is pretty awesome with low light, given it's a 3 year old camera. I only use the centre focus point, not sure why people are so worried about having so many of them.

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #13538931 (external link)
Is this a place (thread) where a current Canon user/owner can come talk about Nikon and a possible switch and not get ridiculed or ostracized?

Maybe I just need to own both a 5DMKII and a Nikon D700? Looking at the signature above this post, I see ching owns a Canon and Nikon. Two lenses each, and a flash. I could do something like that.
I don't hate my Canon gear at all, never thought of owning both...

Yep we're photographers not gearheads.

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #13539152 (external link)
Yeah I realize there aren't perfect equivalents to the bodies and lenses. I think the D700 has what I don't have in the 5DMKII and is close enough to the same, minus some video features, that I could be happy with both. I'm going to rent a D700 for sure and probably a few lenses.

The D700 is what the 5DII should've been, as you say without video.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 13, 2011 15:40 |  #3881

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #13539152 (external link)

Sounds like a good plan. The D700 is a great camera for sure. The AF on the 5D2 sucks compared to it. But for me, the MP and video are the 2 main things keeping me with the 5D2. If those things aren't important, then IMO, it's really a no-brainer in favor of the D700.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 13, 2011 15:51 |  #3882

ching wrote in post #13539231 (external link)
D700 has the best AF I have ever used, focus is dead-on on ever picture I had taken. This never happen to my 7D and I use them pretty much the same way ( single AF/ outer points)
The low MP count/ video is the only downside compares to 7D.

Glass is pretty much a wash between both camp. Nikon has lots of updated "G" lens since 2010 and they perform just as well as the L with similar build.
(The 14-24mm 2.8G and 24-70mm 2.8G are for sure better than L)

The best AF I have ever used would still be a Canon camera, ironically not the 1D4, but the 1D3, especially the one I used to own before I upgraded it to the 1D4. Not going to rehash that journey here. :lol:

But the D3s, D3, and the D700 I used to own were all very solid performers. FAR more reliable than the sad AF in the 5D2.

As for glass, Nikon's been running wild with introducing new lenses. I still think Canon has a slight edge when it comes to the lenses I typically use. I agree that the 24-70G is a pretty awesome lens. Was never in love with the 14-24 however.

vmlopes wrote in post #13539278 (external link)
I had a 5dmkII and made the jump to a D700 and would go so far as saying it's the camera the 5dmkii should have been, IMO better in every sense, if u can get used to the user interface you will be suitably impressed

video is not important to me btw.

Agreed. They should have put a nicer AF system on the 5D2. I'd be shocked if they didn't put a halfway decent one on the 5D3, but then there are talks about the 5D3 being a MP heavy camera, so I'm lost...

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #13539331 (external link)
Well I'm intrigued enough to want to rent a D700 and a prime or two, maybe that 24-70 and 50.
I'm very curious to say the least.

Smart move. You won't be disappointed with the D700 + 24-70G combo. As for the 50, well...no comment. Nothing exciting going on for that focal length.

SuperHuman21 wrote in post #13539364 (external link)
Everything I've read so far indicates this to be a terrible replacement. The improvements seem minor and I'd rather have this model focus on the ISO and the D4X on the MP. Hopefully, just hopefully, they'll come out with a D4s to solve this ISO issue.

Not sure why it's so terrible, except maybe the insignificant bump on the MP count? I think 18-21MP would be nicer. Other than that, it's a pretty natural progression of that line no?

tim wrote in post #13539402 (external link)
The D700 is pretty awesome with low light, given it's a 3 year old camera. I only use the centre focus point, not sure why people are so worried about having so many of them.

Yep we're photographers not gearheads.

The D700 is what the 5DII should've been, as you say without video.

I've only started to use the center AF point exclusively when I decided to go 2 x 5D2, so having outer AF point accuracy was always important for me. It's a little sad that I've adapted the focus and recompose method, but I suppose it works good enough most of the time. I would much rather use a crosstype outerpoint that's closer to subject than use the center AF point then recompose. Don't think that has anything to do with being a gear head. I regularly used the outer AF points on the 1D3 with great success, even tracking moving targets shooting sports.

ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 13, 2011 15:52 |  #3883

Hope 5D3 or D800 will make it easier. D700 like AF/iso with 36MP and video? Dream come true!

Nikon D800

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 13, 2011 15:53 |  #3884

nicksan wrote in post #13539498 (external link)
Sounds like a good plan. The D700 is a great camera for sure. The AF on the 5D2 sucks compared to it. But for me, the MP and video are the 2 main things keeping me with the 5D2. If those things aren't important, then IMO, it's really a no-brainer in favor of the D700.

I do like the MP and the video is not being used as much as I thought I would, but I like that I have the option when I want it. Playing with a D700 could tie me over until the rumors become true about a D800...that might be the love child of a D700 and 5DMKII?

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 13, 2011 15:54 |  #3885

ching wrote in post #13539556 (external link)
Hope 5D3 or D800 will make it easier. D700 like AF/iso with 36MP and video? Dream come true!

+1 for me.

sponsored links

770,662 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.