Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

this thread is locked
ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 07, 2012 22:07 |  #6871

-AP- wrote in post #14547850 (external link)
Yes, I purchased a d70s for my wife some time ago along with an sb600 flash.

The flash is starting to wear out a bit and the pin that keeps it in place and locked on the camera often gets stuck.

So, I am looking for another flash. Can anyone suggest a 3rd party (less expensive) flash that works in ittl mode?

I was thinking a Yongnuo, but I'm not sure which one is best.

Thanks so much..

EDIT.. I would also just add I/she would prefer a smaller one in size similar to the sb600 as well.

Thanks again..

You can try this one
http://www.amazon.com …TF8&qid=1339124​718&sr=1-2 (external link)

Nikon D800

sponsored links
-AP-
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 07, 2012 23:19 as a reply to  @ ching's post |  #6872

Thanks.. I know I mentioned preferring a smaller size, but I ended up getting this one.
http://www.hkyongnuo.c​om/e-detail.php?ID=297 (external link)
The specs seemed to be a safer bet.

Thanks!

WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | Canon 5d3 | SX50 HS | 7D2 |70-200L | 24-70L | 50mm f1.4 | YN-622c | Bunch of lights, a few more lenses and lots of other stuff..

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,908 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 07, 2012 23:35 |  #6873

imjason wrote in post #14547896 (external link)
In other news, DXOmarks announced recently that the D3200 24mp sensor is the best APS-C sensor ever tested.

The one I saw said second best APS-C sensor ever.

http://nikonrumors.com …t-aps-c-camera-ever.aspx/ (external link)

Andrew | Midwest Automotive (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 08, 2012 00:23 |  #6874

-AP- wrote in post #14547850 (external link)
Yes, I purchased a d70s for my wife some time ago along with an sb600 flash.

The flash is starting to wear out a bit and the pin that keeps it in place and locked on the camera often gets stuck.

So, I am looking for another flash. Can anyone suggest a 3rd party (less expensive) flash that works in ittl mode?

I was thinking a Yongnuo, but I'm not sure which one is best.

Thanks so much..

EDIT.. I would also just add I/she would prefer a smaller one in size similar to the sb600 as well.

Thanks again..

The Yongnuo YN-468 II for Nikon would be fairly close. The 565 is bigger. I can tell you this: stay away from the Triopo brand, I got one, it sucks. =p lol

amanathia.zenfolio.com

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 08, 2012 02:43 |  #6875

Myboostedgst wrote in post #14548236 (external link)
The one I saw said second best APS-C sensor ever.

http://nikonrumors.com …t-aps-c-camera-ever.aspx/ (external link)

i saw this on fb a few days ago, i guess they made a typo on their fb post a few days ago and fixed it. i fixed my post too.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

Dogs857
77 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 08, 2012 08:25 |  #6876

Gojira1976 wrote in post #14547466 (external link)
I have been unable to load my idea of photography lately due to illness and a small fear of possible meningitis that somehow ended up a tad bit pardon my expression, sh1ttier! I do hope to return often if possible and hopefully add some worthy enough photos, because trust me I see my work and for me it is keen, but I am an amateur, and I have a lot to learn, if time permits! I hope to get a light meter soon and hope it can aid me however I am uncertain that it will since my basic knowledge of DSLR and photography limits me! For the record and since I decided to share my shameful grief, I have a pineal brain cyst, and since my pops died young if a separate cancer, I am a bit worried for my wife and children if worse come to worse, but as my wonderful wife said, I will try to stay positive. xD

Bad news mate. I hope it all works out well for you.

Jeff (but my friends call me Dogs)
I am a bomb disposal expert. If you see me running try and keep up.:shock:
Flickr (external link)

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,908 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 08, 2012 09:38 as a reply to  @ Dogs857's post |  #6877

I've decided to switch to primes, so I have put my Tamron up for sale (shameless plug :p). If anyone has a 35 1.8G or 50 1.8G and wants to trade, let me know!

I know there is no basis on it, but I feel more "Creative" using primes. By that I mean it is too easy to get the "perfect framed" shot using a zoom. With a prime, you have to use your imagination to find the best shot. Since I lack the creativity or vision, I think it will improve my skill. Hopefully that makes sense to at least one person...

Andrew | Midwest Automotive (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 08, 2012 09:55 |  #6878

Myboostedgst wrote in post #14549886 (external link)
I've decided to switch to primes, so I have put my Tamron up for sale (shameless plug :p). If anyone has a 35 1.8G or 50 1.8G and wants to trade, let me know!

I know there is no basis on it, but I feel more "Creative" using primes. By that I mean it is too easy to get the "perfect framed" shot using a zoom. With a prime, you have to use your imagination to find the best shot. Since I lack the creativity or vision, I think it will improve my skill. Hopefully that makes sense to at least one person...

You also get less Dof and better bokeh which will improve the picture. Primes have certain "look" to it that you just can't get it with zooms :D

Nikon D800

dharrisphotog
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 08, 2012 10:07 |  #6879

If anyone knows where I can get the 28mm 1.8, let me know. My 3 fave sites (amazon, Adorama, B&H) are on back order...

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

Guari
200 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 08, 2012 10:09 |  #6880

same thing happens to me. Primes make you move your legs... with zooms it's possible to get too complacent and composition usually suffers... Zooms are super practical though...

My blog (external link)
My FB page (external link)

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,908 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 08, 2012 11:00 |  #6881

Guari wrote in post #14550075 (external link)
same thing happens to me. Primes make you move your legs... with zooms it's possible to get too complacent and composition usually suffers... Zooms are super practical though...

Very well put. That is exactly my thought. By switching to primes, you get the better DOF and bokeh as was mentioned, but more importantly, I think it will help me become a better/more creative photographer.

BXPhoto
Goldmember
2,170 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 08, 2012 11:42 |  #6882

Awesome choice bro. I went all primes except for my 70-200 a loooong time ago.

I was originally a 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L then went to a 16-35L, 24L, 35L, 50L, 85L, 135L, 70-200L

Now on Nikon I have 35mm f/1.8G(x2), 35mm F/1.4G, 50mm 1.4/1.8G, 85mm f/1.8G and still waiting on the 135mm f/1.8G and still trying to decide on which 70-200

My name is Andrew and I like Canon's!!!
Gearlist and Feedback
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
BeXposed Photography on ModelMayhem (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 08, 2012 11:44 |  #6883

Razeus wrote in post #14550065 (external link)
If anyone knows where I can get the 28mm 1.8, let me know. My 3 fave sites (amazon, Adorama, B&H) are on back order...

Go to Nikon's site and check the authorized dealers list. Just about everything can be found at smaller dealers and most of them do shipping.

Flickr (external link)

EOSBoy
Goldmember
1,083 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 08, 2012 12:13 |  #6884

My main lenses are primes aside from the 16-35 f/4VR. I had a similar set up with Canon so I'm quite comfortable shooting with my 50 & 85 f/1.8G. The biggest difference is, Nikon's versions are way sharper wide open and provide less chromatic aberration. +1 Nikon!

http://patrickengman.c​om (external link)
Instagram: brotherly_dove
Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 08, 2012 12:22 |  #6885

EOSBoy wrote in post #14550772 (external link)
My main lenses are primes aside from the 16-35 f/4VR. I had a similar set up with Canon so I'm quite comfortable shooting with my 50 & 85 f/1.8G. The biggest difference is, Nikon's versions are way sharper wide open and provide less chromatic aberration. +1 Nikon!

I agree. The 50 1.8 G IQ is very good. It does hunt in low contrast situations but, the AF locks. :)

sponsored links

773,238 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.