Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

this thread is locked
echo
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 04, 2012 08:33 |  #7621

jdizzle wrote in post #14812733 (external link)
^^Congrats man! It's amazing how good this sensor is at those ISOs. :)

I'd say roughly ISO 800 on my mkii was not as good as ISO 1,600 on the D800, maybe around ISO 2,200'ish. That's staggering and that's at 100%, so scaled down it is easily ISO 2,200 or there abouts. Noise cleans up very easily in LR and the noise pattern at sane ISO's seems 'smaller' in size than on my mkii so even with NR applied it resolves more detail.

One niggle so far. Low light focus isn't as good as I had expected and isn't as good as my old mkii centre focus point in some situations. To be fair, this was with large light source behind the subject. I've set mine up for mostly 11 point AF (all cross type I think) and get perfect AF when it hits. I have had to increase my minimum shutter speed when hand help for sure.

Canon colours still rule as far as I'm concerned, I'm gradually cooking up LR recipes to get me close but on the flip side I am liking the tones, it's just a different look. I still think that the 5Dmkii and iii are great cameras but this is super great.

http://www.RecordProdu​ction.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/RecordProduction (external link)

sponsored links
jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 04, 2012 12:25 |  #7622

Julien even though the d800 has a AA filter due to the resolution it is not as intense as the 5DII. In fact side by side comparison reveals that the d800e advantage over the d800 is slightly better color depth and edge contrast. But that is only noticeable at 100% and the color depth is not easily measurable in the eye. I have yet to see moire at all. They are nearly identical.

The Noct is not a great landscape lens but until my kit gets put together it is the shortest lens in my kit. That is about to change with the 25/2 .2 ZF that is on it's way and I have a 50/1.7 planar I am going to have converted for landscape. The Noct is a great portrait lens and I am amazed at how sharp it is wide open. I can focus it manually without live view. That's handy. The lens performs best at 2.8 but it will never deliver hard crisp edges like a Zeiss.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 04, 2012 12:54 |  #7623

We're watching Eva for some friends while they're over on the Oregon coast. She's fat and loves to fetch. I was screwing around with my D800 and Nikor 50 1.8G this am in the yard and snapped this one of her and the ball. I'm very happy with the D800, the ability to crop and pull detail out of the shadows with this camera blows me away.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 04, 2012 21:38 |  #7624

echo wrote in post #14812723 (external link)
Since having my 5Dmkii and all of my lenses stolen a few months ago I've been trying everything out and doing lots of research. I was an inch away from replacing with the mkiii but in the end the D800e won. I was very nearly put off by the temporary D3200 and 35mm f/1.8g combo as it was soft (to my eyes) and way too noisy, badly noisy. I had thought that some of the hype surrounding the D3200 was misplaced and wondered equally if the hype surrounding the D800 was also over the top.

Anyway, I got the D800e and took it around to my Dad's as he has a mkii and we compared shots with both cameras having similar lenses mounted on to tripods. Each using a 24-70 Canon/Nikon lens. The difference was breathtaking. I was expecting to be seeing similar results but just larger, i.e. with more resolution. I wasn't expecting the clarity to be so, so much better. Not marginal, not better but way better. Highlights took far more effort to blow out and the shadows were so good. The difference was so great my Dad went straight out and bought a D800 himself. He won't spend money on anything if he can help it. I can't over emphasise just how much better the IQ is.

I don't like saying any of this as I still love the Canon lens line up. If everything hadn't happened this way I would have got the mkiii as I had some great lenses and prefer the way the Canon bodies work. It's not easy learning a new system but then again getting comfortable isn't good. I really hope that Canon will fight back.

Echo that is some serious recording gear :):):) Sorry to hear about the theft :( God I love the color in your images!!!! Fantastic. Impressive ISO test too. What 24 are you using by chance?

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 04, 2012 21:43 |  #7625

rick_reno wrote in post #14813756 (external link)
We're watching Eva for some friends while they're over on the Oregon coast. She's fat and loves to fetch. I was screwing around with my D800 and Nikor 50 1.8G this am in the yard and snapped this one of her and the ball. I'm very happy with the D800, the ability to crop and pull detail out of the shadows with this camera blows me away.

Congrats Rick! Enjoy! :)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 04, 2012 22:01 |  #7626

jetcode wrote in post #14815277 (external link)
Echo that is some serious recording gear :):) Sorry to hear about the theft :( God I love the color in your images!!!! Fantastic.

I finally got to view these on my good monitors. My jaw dropped! :eek: That's it! I'm picking up an E! :)

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 04, 2012 23:03 |  #7627

Julian I can assure you the non E will produce very similar results. I am noticing that I am not familiar with this much color and I have to retrain my eye and tune my PP skills. I need to recalibrate my monitor. I am noticing some Cyan casting which has been mentioned regarding this camera.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 04, 2012 23:22 |  #7628

jetcode wrote in post #14815611 (external link)
Julian I can assure you the non E will produce very similar results. I am noticing that I am not familiar with this much color and I have to retrain my eye and tune my PP skills. I need to recalibrate my monitor. I am noticing some Cyan casting which has been mentioned regarding this camera.

It may produce similar results but, I do see the difference. If there is some cyan casting it's easy to remove in post. :)

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 04, 2012 23:34 |  #7629

I upgraded my storage last night in anticipation of the D800 files and added a 2 TB external drive. Next up I need a bigger monitor and some calibration equipment.

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 05, 2012 01:34 |  #7630

whmeltonjr wrote in post #14815688 (external link)
I upgraded my storage last night in anticipation of the D800 files and added a 2 TB external drive. Next up I need a bigger monitor and some calibration equipment.

Only 2TB? Depending on what you keep that may not be enough. The D800 racks up 1GB of space for every 20 or so shots.

Flickr (external link)

echo
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 05, 2012 08:57 |  #7631

jetcode wrote in post #14815277 (external link)
Echo that is some serious recording gear :):):) Sorry to hear about the theft :( God I love the color in your images!!!! Fantastic. Impressive ISO test too. What 24 are you using by chance?

That's Peter Gabriel's studio! Thanks for your comments :)

That's with my 24-70 f/2.8. I plan to get some good primes but before I do am going to totally 'know' this lens. I also have the 14-24 and hope to give that a proper work out over the next few weeks.

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 05, 2012 09:03 |  #7632

K6AZ wrote in post #14815935 (external link)
Only 2TB? Depending on what you keep that may not be enough. The D800 racks up 1GB of space for every 20 or so shots.

I figured 2TB would be a good starting point. I can always buy more.

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

echo
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 05, 2012 09:04 |  #7633

jdizzle wrote in post #14815395 (external link)
I finally got to view these on my good monitors. My jaw dropped! :eek: That's it! I'm picking up an E! :)

I have a gallery of these pics on my smugmug - the last 10 were taken with the same guy a year back on the 5Dmkii: http://recordproductio​n.smugmug.com …roducers/Chris-Lord-Alge/ (external link)

You can zoom them up and click the 'i' icon to see shooting info.

PS. These are by no means my best photos but I posted them as I think they show how well the D800e performs :)

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 05, 2012 12:44 |  #7634

echo wrote in post #14816620 (external link)
That's Peter Gabriel's studio! Thanks for your comments :)

That's with my 24-70 f/2.8. I plan to get some good primes but before I do am going to totally 'know' this lens. I also have the 14-24 and hope to give that a proper work out over the next few weeks.

1) Suffice to say Peter has done well in music no?
2) I'm impressed with the zoom. It prints like a prime.

echo
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 05, 2012 13:48 |  #7635

jetcode wrote in post #14817314 (external link)
1) Suffice to say Peter has done well in music no?
2) I'm impressed with the zoom. It prints like a prime.

1) Yes, he's done ok.

2) I think so too. I may just have got lucky with this copy, the rendering and overall quality is superb and as you say, it has a prime look to it and I'm delighted :)

sponsored links

765,785 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.