Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

this thread is locked
Ball4
352 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 03, 2012 17:29 |  #7846

Very nice, Echo. They look like Canon colors. Are you cranking up the the colors and contrast?

sponsored links
KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 03, 2012 18:59 |  #7847

Dear god the colors >.O

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

echo
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 04, 2012 01:17 |  #7848

Ball4 wrote in post #14943377 (external link)
Very nice, Echo. They look like Canon colors. Are you cranking up the the colors and contrast?

Yes I am. I'm trying to get the Canon 'look', takes more work but I'm getting closer to what I have in my head. Lightroom is a big help.

http://www.RecordProdu​ction.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/RecordProduction (external link)

Electric ­ Shepherd
997 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 04, 2012 08:07 as a reply to  @ echo's post |  #7849

A recent shot from my D300:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8301/7859222374_b912ed6c6e_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/75189466@N00/7​859222374/  (external link)
National Trust Centenary Stone (external link) by Pam & Ben (external link), on Flickr

My Gear

My flickr (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 04, 2012 08:29 |  #7850

Beautiful!

~Peter

echo
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 04, 2012 14:40 |  #7851

rick_reno wrote in post #14928610 (external link)
it does appear good, mine came a week or so ago. haven't used it yet, but it's here.

Have you used your 70-200 yet? I'm thinking of shifting my 35 f/1.4 budget to one as the 24-70 is so good.

http://www.RecordProdu​ction.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/RecordProduction (external link)

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 04, 2012 15:13 |  #7852

monk3y wrote in post #14932364 (external link)
Good morning :)

QUOTED IMAGE

Why am I caged in here as your entertainment? I belong in the wild with my mates.

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 04, 2012 16:36 |  #7853

echo wrote in post #14945154 (external link)
Yes I am. I'm trying to get the Canon 'look', takes more work but I'm getting closer to what I have in my head. Lightroom is a big help.

I have always said that I thought Canon's colors were different than Nikon's, and have always been told that I am crazy. At least I now know that I am not the only one that see's it.

I sold my 50 1.8G. I really liked it, but just found it to not be my prefered focal length. After I get settled into my new place I am going to go out and pick up a new 35 1.8G. Also, I am excited to try out a friends 24 1.4G. I've never used top of the line Nikon glass, so I am curious to see how much of a difference it makes when comparing it to budget glass like the 35 1.8 when a novice uses it.

Andrew | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 04, 2012 17:02 |  #7854

Myboostedgst wrote in post #14947731 (external link)
I have always said that I thought Canon's colors were different than Nikon's, and have always been told that I am crazy. At least I now know that I am not the only one that see's it.

I sold my 50 1.8G. I really liked it, but just found it to not be my prefered focal length. After I get settled into my new place I am going to go out and pick up a new 35 1.8G. Also, I am excited to try out a friends 24 1.4G. I've never used top of the line Nikon glass, so I am curious to see how much of a difference it makes when comparing it to budget glass like the 35 1.8 when a novice uses it.

You're not crazy, Canon and Nikon do render colors differently and this is even more apparent with camera produced JPGs. One of the reasons I switched to Canon was the color rendition. With the latest versions of ACR/LR that became a non-issue and I eventually decided to go back to Nikon.

Flickr (external link)

ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 04, 2012 17:05 |  #7855

Don't try the 24 1.4G, you will be addicted to the 3D look!! :lol:

Nikon D800

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 04, 2012 19:02 |  #7856

K6AZ wrote in post #14947835 (external link)
You're not crazy, Canon and Nikon do render colors differently and this is even more apparent with camera produced JPGs. One of the reasons I switched to Canon was the color rendition. With the latest versions of ACR/LR that became a non-issue and I eventually decided to go back to Nikon.

I have only shot jpegs since I started playing with dslr's a few years ago. I have just recently started shooting RAW, and have yet to edit any raw files in Lightroom. I am excited to get lightroom and see what kind of results I get.

ching wrote in post #14947848 (external link)
Don't try the 24 1.4G, you will be addicted to the 3D look!! :lol:

I certainly hope I do become addicted! :)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 04, 2012 20:00 |  #7857

post some shots when you use that 24mm 1.4...i'm pretty happy with the 50 1.8g, but i could be convinced to switch

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 04, 2012 20:41 |  #7858

rick_reno wrote in post #14948485 (external link)
post some shots when you use that 24mm 1.4...i'm pretty happy with the 50 1.8g, but i could be convinced to switch

I only sold the 50 1.8G because it wasnt the right focal length. I'm on a crop, so it is too long for a walk around lens (the 35 1.8 was perfect for that) and too short for anything else I do. I much prefer telephoto lenses, so the 50 was too short to really make me happy.

But I will decently post up some pictures. Hopefully it will be within the next month or so.

Ball4
352 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 04, 2012 21:06 |  #7859

Rick_reno and Echo: As new D800 owners, what do you so far like and dislike about the D800? What do you miss about the 5D2 and Canon? (I'm assuming you both used a 5D2).

I'm debating between the D800 and the 5D3. If the 5D3 has the dynamic range the D800 does, the decision is easy - 5D3 hands down because I have a fantastic set of Canon lenses. D800's DR keeps drawing me to it. The huge 36MP is a non-factor. In fact, I think it's too much. And I assume the AF are about equal.

Hardcore
Goldmember
2,668 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 04, 2012 21:23 |  #7860

I have the 5dc and the d800. Both are great systems, but the amount of dynamic range you can wrangle out of the d800 raw files are astounding. My 5dc crumples apart and while you can use heavy noise reduction on the shadows you loose so much detail. The d800 files give noiseless shadows in comparison and retain all the detail.

I sold all of my canon lenses and switched to nikon. The d800 is the camera I have always wanted. I don't foresee myself upgrading any time soon. Had I went with the 5dmkIII, in 3 years when canon finally catches up in the dynamic range department, I would most definitely be lusting after a new camera once again. The d800 will last me as long as it will last!

Name: Corey
GEAR
Website (external link)

sponsored links

766,263 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.