Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)

this thread is locked
whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 04, 2012 21:33 |  #7861

Ball4 wrote in post #14948773 (external link)
Rick_reno and Echo: As new D800 owners, what do you so far like and dislike about the D800? What do you miss about the 5D2 and Canon? (I'm assuming you both used a 5D2).

I'm debating between the D800 and the 5D3. If the 5D3 has the dynamic range the D800 does, the decision is easy - 5D3 hands down because I have a fantastic set of Canon lenses. D800's DR keeps drawing me to it. The huge 36MP is a non-factor. In fact, I think it's too much. And I assume the AF are about equal.

I went 5D2 to D800. The dynamic range is way better. The high ISO is better. The AF is better. I wasn't heavily vested in Canon glass, so the switch was easy for me. If I had a bunch of good Canon glass, I probably would have stayed where I was. Being that I was able to make money off of each Canon product I purchased, switching was easy. I felt the 5D3 was just what the 5D2 should've been. Like Corey, I can't see myself switching to anything else for a while.

In regards to color, there is definitely a difference in Canon vs. Nikon. Still messing with LR4 to get the colors the way I want.

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Ball4
352 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 04, 2012 22:33 |  #7862

whmeltonjr, I agree that the 5D3 is what the 5D2 should have been as far as the AF system goes. In hearing what the 5D2 had to offer when it was introduced, I like most people was deeply disappointed. I gave Canon the one finger salute and bought a D700, while keeping my Canon gear.

Nikon colors are definately different. It's sort of flat like when your brightly colored shirt gets faded after a few spin cycles.

We all know the positives of the D800. Are there certain things that you don't care much for? Such as not be able to shoot sRAW like with the 5D2? A so-so live view? Not so sharp when viewing at 100%?, etc.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 04, 2012 23:09 |  #7863

Myboostedgst wrote in post #14948667 (external link)
I only sold the 50 1.8G because it wasnt the right focal length. I'm on a crop, so it is too long for a walk around lens (the 35 1.8 was perfect for that) and too short for anything else I do. I much prefer telephoto lenses, so the 50 was too short to really make me happy.

But I will decently post up some pictures. Hopefully it will be within the next month or so.

I'm curious, how do you like the Tamron 17-50? I know this thread has been a little FF heavy but I'm curious about how that lens works for crop Nikon bodies. When I decided to switch there was no telling how long it would take me to get my hands on the D800 so I bought the 17-55 Nikkor. As far as I can tell it's optically close to the 24-70. The AF is fast but not as fast as the 24-70.

Flickr (external link)

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 04, 2012 23:22 |  #7864

Couple from d800 and 16-35mm, again...this was in middle of day so light wasn't best but they turned out good imho...

Thor's Well (need to go back when tide matches up w/a sunrise or sunset and i have a day off):

IMAGE: http://amanathia.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v54/p1099948504-5.jpg

bigger: http://amanathia.zenfo​lio.com/img/s1/v54/p10​99948504-6.jpg (external link)

Spouting Horn/Cook's Chasm ... this is heavily edited, obviously, I dun normally change colors on stuff like this but this one just sort of worked well, and I like it, so sue me =p :

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

http://amanathia.zenfo​lio.com/img/s4/v68/p10​99948470-6.jpg (external link)

amanathia.zenfolio.com

echo
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 05, 2012 03:07 |  #7865

Rick_reno and Echo: As new D800 owners, what do you so far like and dislike about the D800? What do you miss about the 5D2 and Canon? (I'm assuming you both used a 5D2).

I'm debating between the D800 and the 5D3. If the 5D3 has the dynamic range the D800 does, the decision is easy - 5D3 hands down because I have a fantastic set of Canon lenses. D800's DR keeps drawing me to it. The huge 36MP is a non-factor. In fact, I think it's too much. And I assume the AF are about equal.

Hello,

I only switched because my house was broken in to and everything stolen so had to look at my options. I'd long been wanting the 14-24 and had been close several times before getting that and an EF adapter.

Firstly what I miss from 5DmkII: The familiar way of working, a more simple layout, live view, better mirror lock up and timer combo, the lenses screw on the correct way etc. I also miss my 35L and 85L etc.

I tried the 5DmkIII and was very impressed, much faster to use than the mkII and think I'd have been very happy with that hadn't I tried out the D800... The D800 files on import without any work were not just larger but the detail was significantly greater. Looking at the comparable shots it looked like a fog had been removed. To be fair I was comparing 24-70 lenses from each and around f/5.6 to be sure both lenses were working well. The DR was also significantly better. Excellent low ISO noise, decent higher ISO noise.

For my work it's bang on, an editor asked why my last few sets of photos were so much 'better'. Editors have more scope to crop. Lenses such as the 24-70 and 14-24 are superb, there is a lot of good glass available at reasonable money.

Downsides: Files are ruddy huge. Live view isn't that great. More effort in RAW conversions required but better results are there to be had. Video on the 'e' isn't so nice in some situations due to the moire but that is balanced by the huge gain in stills sharpness. Camera is heavy (though I've owned 1 Series before and they're not 'that' heavy). You need to shoot with a remote release really if shooting mirror lockup. You need to increase your shutter speeds if hand held and also if shooting on tripods without MLU.

Overall I am delighted. Great value and am pleased to change but I still miss Canon. Would I suggest everyone change? No. File sizes are large and unless you intend printing large or shoot for publication 22-24 MP is enough.

Sorry to ramble.....

:)

http://www.RecordProdu​ction.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/RecordProduction (external link)

Hardcore
Goldmember
2,668 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 05, 2012 07:50 |  #7866

Hey Echo,

If you use live view in timer mode, you can bracket images and the mirror stays up. It will then take 3,5,7 or 9 consecutive images without flipping the mirror up or down.

I'm not sure if that is what you meant by having to use a remote. You might have also meant that you cannot use the built in timer with mirror lockup which is just silly!

Name: Corey
GEAR
Website (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 05, 2012 09:10 |  #7867

Don't like - controls are not like Canon, neither is the lens mount (it's ass backwards). That said, when I think about it when I'm using it some of the controls are easier to use, the focus system is a joy to use because it's so good. Files are big.

Like - AF system is very good, as good as either of the Canon's that I have used and have good AF systems, the 1D4 and 5D3. DR is exceptional, IMHO Canon isn't in the ballpark on this one. Shadow recovery really blew my mind, it was so good I was shipping my first shot testing it off to experienced Nikon users to see, I couldn't believe it. Detail is very good, I can crop, crop some more and keep on cropping and not end up with something that looks bizarre. Low ISO (under 640) appears to have no noise, I haven't pushed this one much, I'm primarily a ISO 100 shooter. Oh...and I like the way the on-board flash works. I don't think it does banding, but I'm pretty sure this isn't one of the Canon features I'll miss.

Unlike Hardcore, I haven't sold all my Canon gear. I used my 7D this weekend, I had some shots that needed to be taken fast and I didn't feel like fiddling with the controls on the D800 - speed was more important than quality. Depending on how the real world use on the D600 comes in, I could see my Canon gear going away down the road.

Switching is painful, and not cheap. I had hoped for more in the 5D3, and even when it didn't have the "more" I tried it - borrowing one from a local shop twice and trying it. For myself, at the price point Canon wanted for it, it just wasn't enough.

Something I have yet to fiddle with are the older Nikon manual focus lenses, they're inexpensive and a great value. Some of us might have forgotten, but Canon changed the lens mount around 1989, making it's legacy MF lenses unusable - Nikon did not and you can pick up these all metal beauties for a song.

Ball4
352 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 05, 2012 09:40 |  #7868

Thank you Echo. As I suspected, D800's main selling points are greater resolution and terrific DR. It's funny that you mention Canon lenses screwing on the right way. Every time I screw on and off my Nikon lenses, I curse at Nikon. It's such an annoyance.

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 05, 2012 10:12 |  #7869

K6AZ wrote in post #14949197 (external link)
I'm curious, how do you like the Tamron 17-50? I know this thread has been a little FF heavy but I'm curious about how that lens works for crop Nikon bodies. When I decided to switch there was no telling how long it would take me to get my hands on the D800 so I bought the 17-55 Nikkor. As far as I can tell it's optically close to the 24-70. The AF is fast but not as fast as the 24-70.

I have not had enough experience comparing lenses to give you a super confident answer, but I can say that I really like the lens. I have found it to be slightly soft wide open, but stopped down to F4 and it is as sharp as any lens I have used (which isn't an extensive list) and is defintely as sharp as my 70-300VR. Overall it is a great lens. If I was shooting for money on a crop and couldn't afford pro glass, I would not hesitate using the Tamron at all. It is as good as my old 35 1.8G or 50 1.8G, if not better. My coworker does have a 17-55 that I mounted to my D90 while sitting at my desk at work, and after snapping a few shots with it and mounting my Tamron back on, I couldn't find much of a difference in jpegs. the Nikon defenitly felt a whole lot more robust in my hands, but it is also twice as big and twice as heavy. If I wanted to have a small light camera to walk around with, my D90 w/Tamron 17-50 is the perfect combo.

That being said, I have it currently listed for sale. I miss my old 35 1.8 (I love using primes on the short end) and plan on eventually getting a 70-200 2.8 (either Sigma OS or Nikon VR1). I would be happy with just those two lenses in my bag.

Edit: Although, I might start shooting some events with a friend of mine, so the versatility of the Tamron may come in handy soon.

Andrew | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Ball4
352 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 05, 2012 12:42 |  #7870

Thanks Rick_reno. There's no doubt in the D800's outstanding DR. How far can you push the shadows before things start looking funky? 2 or 3 stops?

If I choose to go with the D800 over the 5D3, it will be only because of the better DR.

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 05, 2012 14:11 |  #7871

I just received my Xit grip from Cameta. It was $59, and appears to be very well made. It has the metal pin like the pixel grip, a fairly thick metal piece on the bottom for the tripod mount, and won't compress at all when I squeeze it. Very pleased for $59. I can post pics later if anyone is interested.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 05, 2012 15:58 |  #7872

whmeltonjr wrote in post #14951471 (external link)
I just received my Xit grip from Cameta. It was $59, and appears to be very well made. It has the metal pin like the pixel grip, a fairly thick metal piece on the bottom for the tripod mount, and won't compress at all when I squeeze it. Very pleased for $59. I can post pics later if anyone is interested.

sure, i'd like to see pictures of this. any idea if the RRS L bracket will fit? that's the critical component for me regarding a grip - L bracket has to work.

RobKirkwood
Goldmember
1,124 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 05, 2012 17:30 |  #7873

Myboostedgst wrote in post #14950557 (external link)
(Tamron 17-50) Overall it is a great lens. If I was shooting for money on a crop and couldn't afford pro glass, I would not hesitate using the Tamron at all ... If I wanted to have a small light camera to walk around with, my D90 w/Tamron 17-50 is the perfect combo.

+1

We have 2x Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non-VC (I dropped our first one 4 days before we flew off on holiday, so bought another one - but since getting back the first one still seems to work just fine).

It's a great value lens, not as sharp as our Nikon 24-70 f2.8 was, but only a fraction of the price, and still a very good performer - much better than a lot of other lenses, and probably the best value 'normal' range zoom lens for Nikon crop cameras at the moment.

My wife and I are now semi-retired (which is why we can't justify the expense of having the 24-70 around anymore), but we have shot 3 or 4 events recently using Tamron 17-50 on D7000 and Nikon 50mm f1.8G on D700 and the results have been just fine.

Rob

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 05, 2012 19:17 |  #7874

rick_reno wrote in post #14951859 (external link)
sure, i'd like to see pictures of this. any idea if the RRS L bracket will fit? that's the critical component for me regarding a grip - L bracket has to work.

I'll snap some for you later tonight when I get home. The grip does have the spot made for the L bracket.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 05, 2012 20:17 |  #7875

rick_reno wrote in post #14951859 (external link)

L-bracket for D800 with grip?

sponsored links

766,240 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II)
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.