Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 29 Jan 2011 (Saturday) 19:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best method for multiple computers and RAW files

Createsean
994 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 29, 2011 19:43 |  #1

This is my current set up.

I edit all photos from my DSLR and my wifes P&S camera on my desktop in lightroom. All the raw files are saved as raw and not exported as raw except those going to flickr/facebook. Once everything is done, I then copy all the files over to my wife's computer over the network where she views them in Faststone viewer.

the problem here is that she's complaining about how slow it is due to the size of the raw files when moving from image to image. Also she's not impressed with the image quality - essentially she sees the unprocessed raw file. I don't export .xmp files and even if I did faststone image viewer doesn't read them (I tried).

One reason I like this set up is that I've got a back up of all my photos on a separate drive/computer for backup. Obviously this isn't working for my wife as the image quality and speed isnt' working (she's got a core2 and 4gigs of ram so it's not her computer).

Any thoughts on a better way to approach this? is there a free/cheap image viewer that reads raw files and .xmp? would prefer to not add .xmp files if I don't have to and that's one of the reasons I like lightroom.

I'm looking for harsh criticism of my photos - tell me how to improve, I will be grateful.
My Gear | My web development business Caffeine Creations (external link) | flickr (external link) |My Photo Blog (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 29, 2011 20:47 |  #2

I'd install the Canon software on her computer and see if that meets here needs -- Zoombrowser is a decent viewer, and even DPP, the Raw processor, has a decent browser/viewer (along with the processing capabilities that could come in handy for some quick processing/converting)​.

There are other apps out there that have a good rep for viewing Raw files, I just haven't used any so I can't give a recommendation, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 30, 2011 02:01 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #3

How about exporting jpg's to her computer for slide-show viewing and then backing up the RAW files as a separate task?

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

jake8587
52 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 30, 2011 19:58 |  #4

cacawcacaw wrote in post #11740944 (external link)
How about exporting jpg's to her computer for slide-show viewing and then backing up the RAW files as a separate task?

+1! I have mine backed up on two external hard drives all saved as .RAW.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,607 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 31, 2011 10:59 |  #5

"I edit in LR... I then copy all the files over to my wife's computer over the network"

Do you realize that LR puts all edits into a Catalog file, so unless you also copy a full Catalog and run LR in your wife's computer, she sees none of the editing which you have done?!?! LR makes no changes to RAW files, it simply keeps a 'history' of all the processing to be done to the RAW file, in the Catalog....and NOTHING other than LR would ever see edited versions of the RAW files (and LR only sees the edits when it has a Catalog to refer to!)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 31, 2011 11:36 |  #6

Wilt wrote in post #11748886 (external link)
"I edit in LR... I then copy all the files over to my wife's computer over the network"

Do you realize that LR puts all edits into a Catalog file, so unless you also copy a full Catalog and run LR in your wife's computer, she sees none of the editing which you have done?!?! LR makes no changes to RAW files, it simply keeps a 'history' of all the processing to be done to the RAW file, in the Catalog....and NOTHING other than LR would ever see edited versions of the RAW files (and LR only sees the edits when it has a Catalog to refer to!)

Yeah that's an important point.

Tothe OP -- it's not clear on what you are doing or trying to do. When you say you are copying the files to her computer, do you mean you are copying the Raw files over? If so, why are you doing that rather than Exporting to a smaller jpeg for her to see? With copies of the Raw file, as Wilt points out, she would have to have Photoshop or Lightroom installed and you would need to have a process of exporting your catalog and copying the whole catalog to her computer which she would need to import into Lightroom, or if she is using Photoshop you would need to Save the Metadata to a file so she could read that in Photoshop. If she wants to print an image, you can export a full-size high quality jpeg and she can open it and print it as she wishes. But for just normal viewing, you can export the image, resizing it to a "normal view" size.

If actually you are doing this (exporting to a jpeg and copying that over) then make sure you are exporting in the sRGB color space from Lightroom so that the colors won't be in the Lightroom color space which will look bad to her.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 31, 2011 12:21 |  #7

What does she do with the pics?

If she only looks at them, and shares them via email/facebook, etc...etc... she has no need for full size images. I would suggest doing what you want on your end. But when sending them to her make small jpgs. Id say 1000 or maybe 1200 on the long side. That is plenty big for her to look at them full screen. and small enough to load fast. And only use a tiny bit of space on the HDD.

Just set up an export preset to make small jpgs. two clicks and a few minutes they are ready.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

rickp1
513 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 31, 2011 15:14 |  #8

I second the suggestion to export in jpg for the wife and create another BU for the Raw files. That would solve your wife's performance issue and give you another BU. Hrd drive space is not expensive and worth the cost of a backup IMO.

R.

Canon 5DMkII | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Createsean
THREAD ­ STARTER
994 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 31, 2011 15:51 |  #9

yes I realized that she was seeing unedited copies. The point of doing it this way was to have a back up and let her see the pics. I wasn't happy about her getting the unedited copies either and hence why I posted here looking for solutions.

Yesterday I started doing the small jpg export to her computer (and set up a preset) and am doing backups as a seperate task.

I'm looking for harsh criticism of my photos - tell me how to improve, I will be grateful.
My Gear | My web development business Caffeine Creations (external link) | flickr (external link) |My Photo Blog (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 31, 2011 16:31 |  #10

That's probably a good efficient way of doing it. Unless she's into doing serious editing there's no reason for her to have a copy of the Raw files at all, and for just viewing and maybe sharing with friends or posting online the small files are much better. For prints you'd want a larger file but you can easily put one out "on the fly", which is a very good reason to keep the Raws around.

Tony

sponsored links

1,748 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best method for multiple computers and RAW files
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.