Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Jan 2011 (Saturday) 20:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DMII - Silent Mode

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 29, 2011 20:52 |  #1

I have changed the setting of the silent mode of my camera 3 different ways.
1. Mode 1
2. Mode 2
3. Disabled

It does not change anything. The shutter sounds identical in all 3 modes. The speed of the shutter is also identical.

What is the purpose of this mode?
Is it possible that this mode is not functioning in my camera?

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

sponsored links
Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jan 29, 2011 21:03 |  #2

pbelarge wrote in post #11739742 (external link)
The shutter sounds identical in all 3 modes. The speed of the shutter is also identical.
What is the purpose of this mode?

You have to be in Live View mode for Silent Shooting to be effective. In Live View the mirror is up and shutter is open to expose the sensor. Silent shooting then initiates the exposure electronically (absolutely no vibration) and end the exposure mechanically with the shutter closing. Mode 1 and 2 differ in the timing of reopening the shutter to resume Live View. Mode 2 couples the reopening of the shutter to the lifting of your finger off of the shutter button.
http://www.usa.canon.c​om …ArticleAct&arti​cleID=1906 (external link)

Live View Silent shooting is an improvement over mirror lock up for reducing vibration.
http://forums.dpreview​.com …rum=1032&messag​e=35473092 (external link)

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

pbelarge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 29, 2011 21:27 as a reply to  @ Mike K's post |  #3

Mike
Thanks for the info.

I performed this function in live mode, and mode 2 definitely makes more of a difference, but it does not really silence the shutter, it slightly reduces the vibration.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

Dr.Pete
984 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 29, 2011 21:51 |  #4

Clearly I'm not a live view shooter since I had no idea my 5D2 had a silent mode. :o

Tools of the dark side | MacBook Pro/LR3/Photoshop CS5
“Gear Is Good, Vision Is Better.” -- David duChemin

MikePrattPhotography
522 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 29, 2011 22:43 |  #5

ok quick question, technically, wouldn't you be able to use a faster shutter speed while using flash since there is no manual shutter?

www.michaeloliveri.net (external link)
http://blog.michaeloli​veri.net (external link)

Dr.Pete
984 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 30, 2011 11:54 |  #6

MikePrattPhotography wrote in post #11740318 (external link)
ok quick question, technically, wouldn't you be able to use a faster shutter speed while using flash since there is no manual shutter?

No, because the X-Sync speed is based on how fast the shutter can open/close to cover the whole image circle with respect to the duration of the flash.

What live view takes away is the mirror flap, which is irrelevant to the whole flash sync issue.

Tools of the dark side | MacBook Pro/LR3/Photoshop CS5
“Gear Is Good, Vision Is Better.” -- David duChemin

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jan 30, 2011 13:27 |  #7

MikePrattPhotography wrote in post #11740318 (external link)

flash with live view is a more complicated. With a Canon flash in E-TTL II, the mirror will drop as the camera goes through its "preflash exposure". Then the mirror will flip back up for the normal exposure. With a non-Canon flash in live view the flash will not fire. Read the email from Chuck Westfall of Canon at the bottom of this post:
http://krebsmicro.com/​Canon_EFSC/index.html (external link)

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,100 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 30, 2011 13:43 |  #8

pbelarge wrote in post #11739917 (external link)
Mike
Thanks for the info.

I performed this function in live mode, and mode 2 definitely makes more of a difference, but it does not really silence the shutter, it slightly reduces the vibration.

It allows you to choose after the exposure when to allow the noisy portion of the cycle to occur...such as a point in a theater production when the sound level rises. And it will have eliminated the sounds of the mirror rising and the shutter opening, which are themselves rather noisy.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jan 30, 2011 13:44 |  #9

pbelarge wrote in post #11739917 (external link)
Mike
Thanks for the info.

Without live view, the mirror has to slap up and the mechanical shutter opens. After the exposure both shutter closes and the mirror returns so you can see again in the viewfinder. Higher frame rates and larger mirrors (ie full frame) means more mirror mass has to move faster, so there is more sound/vibration. With Live View in the 40D, S0D (presumably 60D), 7D, 5DII the mirror stays up the entire time, so mirror slap vibration & sound are altogether missing. In this regard Live View Silent shooting will always be significantly quieter than normal (viewfinder based) shooting as the mirror slap is the largest vibration in the exposure sequence. I saw a thread recently of a high speed video of an exposure showing this mirror slap and shutter action.

In all of these cameras the LV SS exposure is terminated with the mechanical shutter, which then reopens right away in Mode 1 or when you lift your finger off of the shutter button in mode 2. Thus the sound you hear is the shutter recocking and reopening after the exposure. Mode 2 simply spreads out the sound over a longer time making it less intrusive. Note that the shutter closing and reopening occur at the end of the exposure, thus its vibration contribution to the actual shot will be nil, whereas the mirror slap and shutter opening occur just before the exposure begins.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 30, 2011 20:36 as a reply to  @ Mike K's post |  #10

You can use non-E-TTL flash guns in live view too, but you have to manually set the camera to disable silent shooting first. When you put on an E-TTL compatible flash, it will disable the silent modes automatically, without you seeing it happen.

Anders

sponsored links

3,384 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DMII - Silent Mode
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.