Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 31 Jan 2011 (Monday) 16:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Talk me into Pocket Wizard Plus II

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 31, 2011 16:33 |  #1

So whats the big deal here? Should I feel compelled to dish out over $100 per Pocket Wizard over buying some cheapo $25 Cowboystudios triggers/receivers (external link) ? If so, why? There is just way too much information regarding these things for me to comprehend it at my current level in flash photography so can anybody explain this to me in laymen terms?

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,129 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 31, 2011 16:38 |  #2

Dont buy the cowboy triggers. Bad user reviews here. I wouldnt suggest PWII's either. The only reason to get the PWII's is the range. They fire at ungodly distances, but you dont probably dont need that much. Consider two middle ground options. The higher middle is the cybersyncs from the folks who make alien bee lights. They do 95% of what the PWII's do, at half the price. Another option is the RF-602's available on amazon or ebay. They are reliable at less cost.

ckalephoto
Goldmember
1,006 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 31, 2011 16:42 |  #3

I have both of the above mentioned units, and could not be happier.

Chris

Gear 2)1Ds mark ii/EOS 1V/ 50 1.4/135L 2.0/24-105L 4.0/

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,891 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 31, 2011 16:45 |  #4

Personally I found no reason to keep my four PW IIs. I went with Elinchrom Skyports because I knew I wanted to make the jump to studio strobes someday and I knew it would be Elinchrom.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

ocabj
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 31, 2011 16:46 |  #5

If I was starting from scratch, I'd get Cybersyncs. Reliable. Fairly inexpensive.

Jonathan Ocab - https://www.ocabj.net (external link) - http://jocabphoto.com (external link)

ootsk
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Jan 2002

Jan 31, 2011 16:57 |  #6

Question here....I have pocketwizard plus II's. I also have the sekonic meter, that has the module to trigger the pocketwizards. Do they have a module for other triggers as well?

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,408 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 31, 2011 17:19 |  #7

ootsk wrote in post #11751088 (external link)
Question here....I have pocketwizard plus II's. I also have the sekonic meter, that has the module to trigger the pocketwizards. Do they have a module for other triggers as well?

Nope. That is one big +ve for PW Plus II. I love mine. used to use AB CS and then moved to PW Plus IIs and mini/flex system.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

wcameron
527 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 31, 2011 19:09 |  #8

What flashes are you using? if you're using speedlites like the 430EX II then I would look at the Canon specific Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 paired with a Mini TT1 and Zone Controller AC5 on your camera. This gives you amazing control over your canon lights. I still use my pwII's to trigger my non-Canon lights but for Canons the other triggers are really worth the cost.

Ward
http://Facebook.com/Wa​rdCameronPhotography (external link)

Canon EOS 5Ds, Canon EOS 6D, Rebel XTi, Sony RX100, GoPro Helmet Hero

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 31, 2011 19:13 |  #9

If you want the gold standard for professional use, buy pocketwizards, plain and simple. the distance that they fire at isn't good for just firing at a long distance - but ensures that they fire EVERY TIME at close distances. tech support is great as well. plus you're buying into a system - your plus IIs can be fired with the Mini tt1 and Flex tt5 if you decide you want to be able to control flash power remotely.

I currently use the Mini tt1 and Flex tt5s along with an AC3 to control flash power from the camera via an analog dial on the AC3. Quick, painless, simple, good range, no menus to contend with, it just works.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Sylvester ­ XxX
Goldmember
3,508 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 31, 2011 19:14 |  #10

Another vote for the Elinchrom Skyports here.

100m range was good enough for me and I knew I would be moving to Elinchrom lights in the future.

But you cant go wrong with the Pocket wizards.

| My Gear | My Site (external link) | My Blog (external link) | My Facebook (external link) |My G+ (external link) |
| My 500px (external link) |My Tumblr (external link) | My Flickr (external link) |

pantherphotos
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 31, 2011 19:49 |  #11

Check out the new Cactus V5's. I just got them, and love them! Great range and incredibly reliable so far for me. From all the reviews they are just about as good as the PW II's and a lot less expensive!

BTW, I used those Cowboy Studio triggers since last March. Never had a misfire and not one of them has died yet. And I used them quite a bit. Not a bad trigger for $25, to be honest.

Eric
Canon EOS 1D MkIIn | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | 70 - 200 f/2.8L | 50 f/1.8 II | 2x YN560 flash
My Blog: http://pantherphotogra​phy.wordpress.com/ (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

Davidoff
600 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 01, 2011 05:52 as a reply to  @ pantherphotos's post |  #12

What do you think about the phottix ones ?

My website (external link)
My Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

Negativ3
83 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 01, 2011 06:31 as a reply to  @ Davidoff's post |  #13

Got a set of the Yongnuo RF-602 trigger and three receivers. So far I am impressed with not only reliability but triggering distance. Total for firing three OC flashes manually... $100.
Ultimate would be the new PW flex system including TTL, but I cannot justify the cost difference.

Andy
My adventures designing a camera trigger... http://stormtrigger.bl​ogspot.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,484 views & 0 likes for this thread
Talk me into Pocket Wizard Plus II
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.