I have two really big magazine cover shoots this weekend, one male and one female, and they both have to be on solid black backgrounds to keep the theme of the magazine. Other than the solid background, I have creative freedom to do what I want.
I have been practicing shooting on black the last few months and have been challenged to come up with a flattering but creative lighting style. I definitely want to push the envelope a bit instead of just setting up a standard three point key, fill, and rim.
Here is the gear I have to work with:
1. Three Profoto monolights
2. Beauty dish with grid
3. Two zoom reflectors with grids
4. 12'x12' silks, 8'x8' silks, bounceboard, grip gear, etc.
5. Gels of all types
6. Fog machines, smoke machines, wind machines.
7. Tungsten hot lights of all sizes and shapes.
8. Pretty much any Canon lens and camera combination.
I would like the shot to be in color. I plan to do another test with a stand in model tomorrow night and can incorporate any ideas you come up with.
Show me some of your most creative color shots on black and a quick write up on how you did it.