Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 01 Feb 2011 (Tuesday) 18:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rate the Photo Above You

Bend ­ The ­ Light
Cream of the Crop
6,098 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 14, 2012 14:47 |  #4696

Lakhum wrote in post #14430678 (external link)
Like the mood and feel of the image. technically i would like more colours on the birds. 6/10

Ok, but they are in fact all black...in real life...:)
Cheers

sponsored links
photophilth
329 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 14, 2012 17:54 |  #4697

Lakhum wrote in post #14430678 (external link)
Like the mood and feel of the image. technically i would like more colours on the birds. 6/10

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/karim_khan/7163​197620/  (external link)
Cadillac EXT Ex-ride (external link) by Karim-Khan (external link), on Flickr

Exposure wise, good shot to my eye. Well balanced with light that is soft and still strong enough to define the shape of the caddy. I wish we had a Ferrari peeking out! but that doesn't make this a bad picture.
What I think does detract is that the image seems too soft on either side of the caddy emblem. Maybe a smaller aperture would increase your DOF so the the headlights and fogs would be in focus. I'm not digging the detail of the shot basically, could be better!
I would rate it at an honest 5/10.

Here is my shot up for an honest rating!

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5343/7199336074_fe41ecddfd_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/a_foto/71993360​74/  (external link)
Aimee (external link) by Aouadian (external link), on Flickr

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 14, 2012 22:59 |  #4698

Photophilt:
Can you tell me how this Caddy's driver is getting out of the car?
Or may be because image is from Pakistan, this American car also has a rightside steering wheel?

photophilth wrote in post #14431552 (external link)
Here is my shot up for an honest rating!

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/a_foto/71993360​74/  (external link)
Aimee (external link) by Aouadian (external link), on Flickr

6/10
With a face like that any picture is very beautiful.
Having said that, few things are bothering me here;

- Surrounding is competing with her to run the show.
Wish is for a wider F stop or selective blue in pp. Don't know if you used a mirror lens but beautiful bokeh would look even nicer if more blur.

- Please be careful of what is on background. Those two vertical tree barks in back ground can cause a somewhat embarrassing situation, may be not here but specially for a formal subject. That brown thing on ground at the left side of image merging with her is distracting.

- Light just don't make it. After looking at your Before After on flickr (Another image), its is clear you do play well with light in more that one way. Here you had a nice shadowless soft one. I wonder if this is better to go for emphasis in darker shadow side on her right side of face or better, accentuating brighter light (Higher key) on the bright (Left side of her face). I suggest a play with "Dodge tool" at 20 % or so and give a few pass on high lights of face. I am sure you get a better, more beautiful light differentiation of face.

- I definitely like to see more detail in washed out chest area of her dressing.

- In a picture like this hands are always one of the most difficult areas to control. You simply cut them near wrist. One may think you got rid of a problem source but especially left hand in far view doesn't cut it for me. It looks too long ! and emotionless when she has such a mysterious and beautiful emotion on the face. Wish to see her bending her elbow or a similar change of posture for left arm, forearm and holding something may be a twig or a native flower, in right hand (Fore field) when both are shown.

- Rotation of torso is well done but tilt of head is not. Any tilt near 45 degree always adds. Less or more is tricky and most of time won't work quit nice.

Well I can go on but guess its too much words and suggestion as is, for what is a beautiful image otherwise.

OK in my image colors are almost original as of one gorgeous sunset at Malibo but try is to keep image skewed toward dream side than real.
I am for critiques more than score of rating so have no reservation.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

johann3s
73 posts
Joined May 2012

May 15, 2012 02:23 |  #4699

5/10

To me the picture looks a bit boring, It must have been great to see in real life, but i would like to see more of the environment. However, I like the texture of the water. But when you say that the colors are almost original, this looks like the opposite to me. It is not that i do not believe you, but both the blue and the orange are in my opinion far too heavily saturated, you could even consider desaturating it a little bit when this is the original.

So, here is my shot :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: data

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

May 15, 2012 03:35 |  #4700

Interesting subject. Wide open interpretation for those who don't read Dutch or ?? Technique-wise = 'snapshot'. 5/10 ;)

Mine: (Don't rate the watermark please - 1/10! :D )

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

johann3s
73 posts
Joined May 2012

May 15, 2012 03:54 |  #4701

Just to learn... Why do you rate it as a snapshot? ;)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 15, 2012 04:35 |  #4702

Biffbradford wrote in post #14433659 (external link)
Interesting subject. Wide open interpretation for those who don't read Dutch or ?? Technique-wise = 'snapshot'. 5/10 ;)

Mine: (Don't rate the watermark please - 1/10! :D )

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

4.5/10
Lack of sharpness and detail is sticking. Not sure if that is effect of web compression or was present in original image too. As is, adding sharpness will not help.

You got a nice splash of old fashion water skier but I am not sure why colors are so darken. Sky is merging with trees in background in the shade of black! So does the water color. If you wanted to make a change in color, I would suggest a conversion to BW.

You are right about signature and I won't talk or rate that or ....:)

My picture has color made in PS from a foggy situation in mountain.

HOSTED PHOTO

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

May 15, 2012 04:54 as a reply to  @ samsen's post |  #4703

Waterskier: that was a night shot with flash, plus there were spot lights which illuminated the far shore. FWIW. ;)

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

tsa
285 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 15, 2012 06:34 |  #4704

Fog shot....not enough in the photo to seem interesting, crop doesn't seem to work well either. 3 / 10

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i280.photobucke​t.com …/kk173/mazdaguy​42/017.jpg (external link)

Be happy! ;)

RishabhSood
447 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 15, 2012 16:19 |  #4705

tsa wrote in post #14433974 (external link)
Fog shot....not enough in the photo to seem interesting, crop doesn't seem to work well either. 3 / 10

QUOTED IMAGE

I like the tone but I dont like the overall image, the effects bother me a bit, 6.5/10

IMAGE: http://i48.tinypic.com/9tfwr6.jpg

New Delhi Wedding Photographer (external link) | Destination Wedding Photographer India (external link) | Destination Wedding Photographer (external link)

tsa
285 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 15, 2012 17:26 |  #4706

This angle of this shot is completely uninteresting, especially with the direction the wheels are turned. As well the tone is too washed out except for the bright reflection under the left side of the vehicle. 4 / 10

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i280.photobucke​t.com …k173/mazdaguy42​/107-1.jpg (external link)

Be happy! ;)

CalebA
254 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 15, 2012 20:51 |  #4707

Nice one. I like the composition and the human elements. Really, the only thing I'm not sure about is the processing, as its a bit to warm my taste. 8/10.

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5329/7206777804_871a62c850_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/68488447@N05/7​206777804/  (external link)

Caleb.

5D - 20mm - 28mm - 50mm - 85mm - 300mm
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

Smuglyy
63 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 15, 2012 23:34 |  #4708

7/10 the sky is nice but the bottom half of the picture doesn't do it for me. The foreground is too boring.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7166/6640146025_d9a2e2cb9f_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fotogenics/6640​146025/  (external link)
IMG_9589 (external link) by Toan Ngo (external link), on Flickr

tk1138
294 posts
Joined Jun 2011

May 15, 2012 23:58 |  #4709

6/10 I'm not sure what the subject is supposed to be. If it's the camera, the focus should be centered on it; if it's the hand/arm, I'm not sure why it's special. If it's the bracelet, a tighter crop would help. A tighter crop would probably help in a lot of ways. I'm not a fan of the low saturation PP. Maybe it's the dress making it a little too busy.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

LW1C0146 (external link) by lthnmsrtkn (external link), on Flickr

Bond_Savingsbond
893 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 16, 2012 00:48 |  #4710

tk1138 wrote in post #14438625 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

LW1C0146 (external link) by lthnmsrtkn (external link), on Flickr

Very nice macro shot. Could use a bit more saturation in the green, I'm not sure about the way it's framed. 7.5/10

Here is a 2nd attempt

HOSTED PHOTO

500px (external link)
My website (external link)
CAMTOGRAPHY (external link)
Fuji X-T2, xf18-55, Samyang 135 (heavy), Nikon 105(dirty), Vivitar 75-205, Helios 56(Fixed),Pentax 50 F1.9 (dirty)

sponsored links

2,010,869 views & 340 likes for this thread
Rate the Photo Above You
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.