Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 01 Feb 2011 (Tuesday) 18:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rate the Photo Above You

Brattina1221
164 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Mar 2018

Jan 06, 2020 12:01 |  #10381

A little heavy on the blur, maybe half it so you can make out a little more detail surrounding the boats you had selected. Always a big fan of boat style photos, so much to keep the eye moving around, this feels a little pigeonholed.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.bcreativeandmedia.​com (external link)
http://www.instagram.c​om/blakebrattina (external link)

sponsored links
icacphotography
613 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited 7 months ago by icacphotography.

Jan 28, 2020 18:17 |  #10382

Brattina1221 wrote in post #18987237 (external link)
A little heavy on the blur, maybe half it so you can make out a little more detail surrounding the boats you had selected. Always a big fan of boat style photos, so much to keep the eye moving around, this feels a little pigeonholed.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Brattina1221 in
./showthread.php?p=189​87237&i=i266514904
forum: Critique Corner

Wish the DOF was more towards the background, I know what you're going for but the poles in the foreground being in focus is pulling me there rather than the waves crashing which I know seems to be the focal point. 7.5/10

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/5485/9628281241_6a82fba4e7_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/fEPs​yZ  (external link) _MG_8893 (external link) by Alexander Cameron (external link), on Flickr

Body:50D gripped Magic Lantern'd
Lenses:50mm 1.8,40mm 2.8,28-105 USM II,70-210 F4, 1962 Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 55mm 1.8
Flash: Canon 430 EX
The camera is just a tool - it is not responsible for the picture.

unclejohn
624 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2019

Mar 19, 2020 17:15 as a reply to  @ icacphotography's post |  #10383

The colors are beautiful, but the flower is not sharp and the bee detracts from rather than adds to the photo. Sorry. 6/10.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-XQR6jBT/0/6cffe6d0/X2/i-XQR6jBT-X2.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …i-XQR6jBT-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

harryv
836 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Mar 19, 2020 23:17 |  #10384

unclejohn wrote in post #19029755 (external link)
The colors are beautiful, but the flower is not sharp and the bee detracts from rather than adds to the photo. Sorry. 6/10.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …i-XQR6jBT-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

I can't really see any subject, the photo has my eyes dancing all over the picture. Plus it looks like the wrong time of the day for that area, judging by the blown-out leaf and lack of shadows it must have been the middle of the day. If possible go back at different times of the day, it might just create the shot you had in mind when you took this one.

Here's mine!!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

LIFE IS TOO FAST, RECORD IT!!

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,777 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Apr 2005

May 25, 2020 12:57 |  #10385

Ok... I usually like to go back and look at my stuff, weeks if not months after I have shot it and look at it with fresher eye.... and here is my take looking at this image after a few weeks.... you really needed a lower f stop to make this image really pop and stand out. The background is still intact enough that it draws from, and fails to fully isolate the subject. That said, I am a shapes and textures kind of person, and almost all my stuff ends up B/W... do take that into consideration. Also a little more space handle side - not much - but decrowd the image a bit. To my eye, its just a little tight.

Otherwise, nice capture. It took me this long to think of stuff.... so there is that. Cheers.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

harryv
836 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Dec 2014

May 25, 2020 21:21 |  #10386

Croasdail wrote in post #19068898 (external link)
Ok... I usually like to go back and look at my stuff, weeks if not months after I have shot it and look at it with fresher eye.... and here is my take looking at this image after a few weeks.... you really needed a lower f stop to make this image really pop and stand out. The background is still intact enough that it draws from, and fails to fully isolate the subject. That said, I am a shapes and textures kind of person, and almost all my stuff ends up B/W... do take that into consideration. Also a little more space handle side - not much - but decrowd the image a bit. To my eye, its just a little tight.

Otherwise, nice capture. It took me this long to think of stuff.... so there is that. Cheers.

Thanks for your comments, defiantly some good advice. Thanks again!

Harry

LIFE IS TOO FAST, RECORD IT!!

cubatahavana
I still don't see it
1,942 posts
Gallery: 262 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 28, 2020 10:50 |  #10387

harryv wrote in post #19029931 (external link)
I can't really see any subject, the photo has my eyes dancing all over the picture. Plus it looks like the wrong time of the day for that area, judging by the blown-out leaf and lack of shadows it must have been the middle of the day. If possible go back at different times of the day, it might just create the shot you had in mind when you took this one.

Here's mine!!

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by harryv in
./showthread.php?p=190​29931&i=i191511599
forum: Critique Corner

I see no rating! As previously said, it is a pity that the background is a little busy. Wider aperture would’ve benefited the shot. Good colors, good light. 6.5/10

Here is my first contribution to this thread in a good while

My Flickr (external link)
My website (external link)
My instagram (external link)

sponsored links

2,346,728 views & 349 likes for this thread
Rate the Photo Above You
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.