Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Discussion Transportation 
Thread started 02 Feb 2011 (Wednesday) 17:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Excessive Noise Shooting Trains

tubawxman
59 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 02, 2011 17:54 |  #1

I just finished processing a batch of photos from a trip last month and some of the shots seem to have excessive noise in them despite shooting at ISO 200. I know I have issues getting the exposure right since the headlights trick the sensor most of the time and the resulting shot comes out too dark. Is this where the noise is being introduced? Any tips to get a more consistent exposure that is not blown out by the headlights? I've included a link to a shot to show what I am talking about. There was some snow in the air and that always seems to turn out noisy when I shoot as well. Any thoughts here? Equipment/Settings: 50D, 70-200L @f8, ISO 200, 1/160.

https://picasaweb.goog​le.com …60i0Z552Q?feat=​directlink (external link)

Thanks!

Bryan
6D MkII | EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L USM

JMartel
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 02, 2011 18:10 |  #2

Shoot in manual and adjust?

Jeff
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 02, 2011 18:15 |  #3

The camera only has so much range light-to-dark. In a scene like that, with a moving subject, you will have to choose your exposure manually in advance. Bottom line, if you underexposed the train, you will get noise in the shadows. Play around in your house sometime with the TV on in the dark, and you'll always get noise in the blackness. Remove it with luma noise reduction in post-processing.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
20,000 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 02, 2011 18:30 as a reply to  @ S.Horton's post |  #4

The underexposure would certainly add to noise in the images, but what I mostly see there is motion blur; I'm guessing the train is really humming along in those shots.

1/160 us pretty slow for quick moving objects if you're not panning with them. I'd suggest trying to maintain a shutter of 1/400 or better and adjust your aperture/ISO to that allow for that. Then, as long as you are getting a good exposure, the noise ought to be minimal and easily dealt with in PP, if needed.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (R5, RF 800 f/11, Canon 16-35 F/4 MkII, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop, R.I.P.
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 02, 2011 21:37 |  #5

the headlights trick the sensor most of the time

As has been said, manual will help with that. Try this: Need an exposure crutch?

and the resulting shot comes out too dark.

So then you brighten it up, & that's where some of the noise comes from.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

stevewf1
830 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 04, 2011 04:49 |  #6

Maybe not a serious noise problem, but this shot of two trains passing just east of Greencastle, Indiana did come out way too dark. This shot was taken with a T2i, Canon 70-300 at 300mm and at ISO 400.

A fairly serious levels adjustment in Elements helped...

IMAGE: http://www.stevewyant.net/dnld/t2i_train1.jpg

Steve

natums
739 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 04, 2011 04:54 |  #7

your shutter and aperture is what is varying as the train approaches, you are better off establishing a good baseline (you will want a faster shutter for faster trains) and then shooting full manual. If your photos come out dark due too the camera trying to find the right light balance and unintentionally underexposing, then you will get noise when you adjust it brighter.

That image above is very acceptable noise, in fact, I see none...

| Current Gear (external link) |
| Vimeo (external link) | The Daily Discipline (external link) | Flickr (external link) |

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop, R.I.P.
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 04, 2011 09:00 |  #8

That image above is very acceptable noise, in fact, I see none...

It looks good to me on my laptop.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

tubawxman
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 18, 2011 19:20 |  #9

Thanks for the advice guys. I really need to trust myself and start shooting in manual. I normally shoot in Av to keep my lenses at f/8, but rely too much on the camera for the rest. Time to step things up. I haven't gotten LR3 yet and the luma reduction in LR2 is pretty basic. I'll have to upgrade and see if I can improve things.

Bryan
6D MkII | EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L USM

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
20,000 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 18, 2011 19:23 |  #10

Definitely upgrade; the CA correction and NR functions in 3 are significantly better than in 2.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (R5, RF 800 f/11, Canon 16-35 F/4 MkII, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Joe ­ the ­ Photog
41 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 24, 2011 08:15 |  #11

A 50D should have had no trouble with that BNSF train. But f8 is wrong for that light. Your problem is as you stated -- you set the camera on AV at f8 and let the camera decide the rest. You should have gone f5.6 or 6.3, probably could have set the ISO at 400 with no noise to speak of and the shutter speed at 1/400 at least to stop the train. Work on your composition, too. Picture is leaning CW and the train is centered as well as too far away.

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

1,859 views & 0 likes for this thread, 8 members have posted to it.
Excessive Noise Shooting Trains
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Discussion Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.