Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 02 Feb 2011 (Wednesday) 22:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Vegas vs Premier Pro?

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 02, 2011 22:27 |  #1

I know each has its perks, could some people with extensive experience using either or, maybe even both chime in on this?

Whats good about Sony Vegas? I heard its easy to make sweet videos, but does that mean its just an amateur program?

How about Premier Pro? I hear its the cream of the crop for editing but very difficult to learn.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

sponsored links
cwr89
233 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 03, 2011 14:34 |  #2

I've not really used Vegas, but I am well versed in Premiere pro (and it is my main NLE) as well as Final Cut Pro and Avid Media Creator 3. from what I know, go for premiere. you will learn more in using premiere that will make you a much better editor in the long run. honestly premiere is still pretty user friendly. If you use the adobe help files there is great documentation on how it works also some of them have some great videos. there is also youtube, you can find tutorials for anything there.

Premiere pro also is the most file friendly NLE out there, it can take just about any format.

Canon 5Diii | EF 24-105L | EF-40 STM | Tamron 70-200 2.8 VIDCII | 2x 580 EX | Canon G5X | 3x ProFoto D1|
2x Panasonic AF100 | Panasonic HVX 300 | 2x Panasonic HVX 2700
FCP7| Premiere CC15 | Avid MC6
Kodak Jiffy | Six-20 Kodak No. 0 | Eastman Kodak No. 3-A | AE1 Manual | AE1 Program | Canon TL | Canon FTb | Ikonta 520/18 | Nikon EM |

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 03, 2011 14:53 |  #3

Vegas is cheap, and that's its best point. For the money, it is rather powerful. Premiere Pro is akin to Photoshop in terms of processing ability, and in terms of learning curve.

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 03, 2011 16:22 |  #4

I used to use Vegas exclusively 8 then 9, then I moved to CS5.

Vegas is very intuitive and easy to use. The UI is easy to learn. It's very good for quick edits, you don't have to spend forever setting up the project like in PP.

Why did I move to Adobe? Well, CS4 was a bit of a dog. Clunky, slow and buggy. But CS5 is a very powerful editing suite. The updates are subtle, but add to make a much better NLE than CS4, and IMO it's just as good as the ever popular final-cut.
I'd say it has much more fine-tuning abilities compared to Vegas, especially in the effects.

If you're a DSLR shooter.... CS5 is pretty much a must-have right now. It's still a total pain to edit in Vegas/Final cut with a Canon. CS5 does it natively and does it well.

Main advantages for Premiere, and reasons why I use it:

- Native HDSLR editing
- Ability to easily mix framerates/resolutions in one sequence.
- Hardware acceleration for special-effects

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 03, 2011 16:25 |  #5

benesotor wrote in post #11771467 (external link)
If you're a DSLR shooter.... CS5 is pretty much a must-have right now. It's still a total pain to edit in Vegas/Final cut with a Canon. CS5 does it natively and does it well.

semi-interjection, but Canon's DSLR shoots to H.264 compression in a .mov container, not the AVCHD like the canon camcorders. FCP handles the h.264 .mov just fine, it's the AVCHD that hasn't made its way natively to FCP (yet).

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

cwr89
233 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 03, 2011 18:18 |  #6

Chippy is correct, FCP does handle DSLR video quite well. having said that, it is about 1/2 the speed when it comes to rendering. (unless you convert to appleProRes)

Things are looking like the industry is starting to push the AVCHD format though, the new Panasonic AF100 is AVCHD. (and quite sharp at that!)

personally I'll still advocate premiere pro. Also, it streamlines with the rest of adobe better, (after effects, photoshop, illustrator)

Canon 5Diii | EF 24-105L | EF-40 STM | Tamron 70-200 2.8 VIDCII | 2x 580 EX | Canon G5X | 3x ProFoto D1|
2x Panasonic AF100 | Panasonic HVX 300 | 2x Panasonic HVX 2700
FCP7| Premiere CC15 | Avid MC6
Kodak Jiffy | Six-20 Kodak No. 0 | Eastman Kodak No. 3-A | AE1 Manual | AE1 Program | Canon TL | Canon FTb | Ikonta 520/18 | Nikon EM |

Kento
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 03, 2011 20:22 |  #7

Great feedback guys, thanks a lot for this info.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 04, 2011 09:45 |  #8

FCP does handle h.264 okay... but for most stuff you still need to convert to prores422. Premiere will edit the mov's as they are. It just saves a lot of time.

Trey ­ T
869 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 07, 2011 07:37 |  #9

Sony Vegas 10:
-no conversion (canon t1i, t2i, 7d, 5d, 60d or any other AVC(h.264) codec)
-no special hardware requirement

10 Most overpaid job (external link)

kaydawgy
160 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 07, 2011 09:41 as a reply to  @ Trey T's post |  #10

Indeed PP CS5 is the bomb when working with HDSLR stuff......but then again my vote for Adobe is because I've been working with it for the last 6 years:D

Canon 7d gripped, Canon 550d gripped, Canon 17-55mm, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 28-135mm, Tokina 11-16mm, Sigma speedlite DG-ST 530, Yongnuo 560 (x2) and 460
http://www.huffakerpro​ductions.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,031 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sony Vegas vs Premier Pro?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.