Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Feb 2011 (Thursday) 12:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moving Catalog Location in Lightroom 3?

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 03, 2011 12:08 |  #1

How can I move my catalog location in Lightroom 3?
The back up that runs when I exit Lightroom is on my main OS drive which is a nice SSD but it doesn't have a lot of space, and I don't want my backups being stored on there.

So I'd like to point Lightroom to a different internal drive on my MacPro, but I'm not seeing where I can do this? The catalog and backups are all stored on the SSD drive under users/myusername/pictu​res/lightroom, but I'd like this somewhere else on a different drive.

Do I just need to create a new catalog in the location I want it to be, then import all the pictures/files from where they are being stored?

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 03, 2011 12:44 |  #2

There are a few approaches you can try.

One quick attempt would be to close LR, and then in your system browser copy your catalog folder onto the internal drive and your complete image library structure over so that the structure "looks" the same in essence. Then, open Lightroom and have it open the "new" catalog copy. If things are "cool" everything could come up fine, otherwise you'll see folders show grey and with little question marks. Right click on a top-level folder and choose to Find missing files and folders and it should do a search to re-synchronize things. If that works, delete the old stuff from your SSD drive and you're good to go.

Alternatively, you can take the approach you suggested -- create a New catalog on the internal drive and then do an Import from Catalog and follow the steps. You might want to read Help on details for this. But if you do this you'll still need to move your images if you want to.

Backups are out of Lightroom -- they are just versions of your Catalog folder with previews and metadata and references to the library images. I'd suggest putting them on an external drive for safekeeping, but wherever you have Lightroom put them, you don't need to keep them all. Delete older ones, maybe just keep a few.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,193 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 03, 2011 13:14 |  #3

I would just copy the catalogue file to the new location, rename the original to something else, just in case. When you launch LR it will tell you it can't find the catalogue file. At this point just browse to the new location and it will open.

Just make sure you rename and backup the original file.

Kev

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 03, 2011 14:38 |  #4

You don't have to replicate the entire folder path when moving your Lightroom catalog; it can reside just about anywhere.

1. Close Lightroom then use Finder to move the Lightroom Folder to your preferred location. Note that the Lightroom Folder contains sub-folders so be sure to move the actual Lightroom Folder and not the subfolders.
  2. Hold down the ALT key and click on the Lightroom Desktop icon. You will be presented with a dialog box asking you which catalog to open. Use the dialog box to point Lightroom to the new location. At the same time you can also specific that you want that catalog to be opened whenever Lightroom is started and you can also run a check on the catalog's integrity.

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #11769996 (external link)
How can I move my catalog location in Lightroom 3?
The back up that runs when I exit Lightroom is on my main OS drive which is a nice SSD but it doesn't have a lot of space, and I don't want my backups being stored on there.

So I'd like to point Lightroom to a different internal drive on my MacPro, but I'm not seeing where I can do this? The catalog and backups are all stored on the SSD drive under users/myusername/pictu​res/lightroom, but I'd like this somewhere else on a different drive.

Do I just need to create a new catalog in the location I want it to be, then import all the pictures/files from where they are being stored?

Gear List

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 03, 2011 15:46 |  #5

PixelMagic wrote in post #11770828 (external link)
You don't have to replicate the entire folder path when moving your Lightroom catalog; it can reside just about anywhere.

1. Close Lightroom then use Finder to move the Lightroom Folder to your preferred location. Note that the Lightroom Folder contains sub-folders so be sure to move the actual Lightroom Folder and not the subfolders.
  2. Hold down the ALT key and click on the Lightroom Desktop icon. You will be presented with a dialog box asking you which catalog to open. Use the dialog box to point Lightroom to the new location. At the same time you can also specific that you want that catalog to be opened whenever Lightroom is started and you can also run a check on the catalog's integrity.

This was what I was looking for, thank you, it worked perfect!

jason324
506 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 04, 2011 07:28 |  #6

PixelMagic wrote in post #11770828 (external link)

Excellent explanation! I was trying to figure out the best way to do it, and this is definitely the best I've heard/ read!

Thanks for sharing, and Great question,
Jay

Jason Hermann
SonyAlphaLab.com (external link)
Google + (external link)

-Sony Nex-6, Canon: 5D MkII, EF 17-40 L, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, EF 135 f/2 L, EF 14mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 50 f/1.8, 580exII

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 04, 2011 07:34 |  #7

jason324 wrote in post #11774869 (external link)
Excellent explanation! I was trying to figure out the best way to do it, and this is definitely the best I've heard/ read!

Thanks for sharing, and Great question,
Jay

Jason, this was the question that I was going to ask you, that I had replied to another comment of yours on another thread and asked "mind if I PM you a question", so disregard that question now, its been answered here.

jason324
506 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 04, 2011 11:05 |  #8

Yeah I figured that Chris :)

Thanks,
Jay

Jason Hermann
SonyAlphaLab.com (external link)
Google + (external link)

-Sony Nex-6, Canon: 5D MkII, EF 17-40 L, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, EF 135 f/2 L, EF 14mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 50 f/1.8, 580exII

sponsored links

4,163 views & 0 likes for this thread
Moving Catalog Location in Lightroom 3?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.