Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Feb 2011 (Friday) 17:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D Mk II Lens Relase Button Fell Off

malibubts
224 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 04, 2011 17:42 |  #1

Anyone ever have a lens release button fall off. I pulled my 1D out of my camera bag this morning and noticed it was gone. I still had the spring and the button but I couldn't get it to reattach. There's a hole and I tried to stick a small allen wrench to manually trigger it, but no luck. I can also hear a rattling when I move the camera. I'm assuming it is off to Canon Repair unless anyone has an great ideas. Anyone had this happen and what did Canon charge you?

5D MkII, Rebel XTi
Canon 300mm /4, Sigma 70-200mm /2.8, Canon 50mm /1.8, Rokinon 14mm /2.8
PhotoEric (external link)

sponsored links
joeseph
"smells like turd"
11,019 posts
Gallery: 199 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 04, 2011 18:33 |  #2

best take the battery out asap, in case whatever is rattling around in there is metallic and shorts out one of the several circuitboards, which would probably result in more expensive repairs.

I'd say Canon techs would likely fix this sort of thing in less than 30 minutes.

the closest thing I've got to a shot of the mechanism is this:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

The release button/spring is mounted to the front case and somehow hooks the leafspring (arrowed) outwards.

I'd hazard a guess and say the release button had some sort of circlip arrangement to hold it in and it's probably this bit that's either fallen, or broken off.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
11,019 posts
Gallery: 199 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 04, 2011 18:43 |  #3

here 'ya go, parts manual for 1D MK II

http://www.strappe.com …S_1DMII_Parts_C​atalog.pdf (external link)

looks like the button has a hook clip that is screwed to it...

see page 8. The hook itself doesn't have a partnumber so hopefully can be retreieved from inside your camera - preferably before it does some damage...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

malibubts
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 18, 2011 09:32 |  #4

Thanks joeseph. I ended up just sending it in to Canon. In case anyone comes across this thread is a search it just shipped out so it took them about and week and it was $330.00 plus my shipping there so around $370.00.

5D MkII, Rebel XTi
Canon 300mm /4, Sigma 70-200mm /2.8, Canon 50mm /1.8, Rokinon 14mm /2.8
PhotoEric (external link)

funkyfones
350 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 18, 2011 09:40 |  #5

Wow, thats alot, I could have done it in 15mins, the actual mechanism is a simple L shaped lever with the pin that is pushed into the lens hole by a spring, could'v walked you through it, oh well, hope it all comes back safe and sound

Gear: Afew bodies and afew pieces of glass | Flickr (external link)| Lens/cameras repairs and for sale | (external link)Website for camera/lens repairs (external link)

toanna
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 04, 2011 03:56 |  #6

I have same problem with my Canon 1D mkII. Do you still repair this kind of worries, funkyfones?
I have sent PM.

sponsored links

2,612 views & 0 likes for this thread
1D Mk II Lens Relase Button Fell Off
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.