Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Feb 2009 (Tuesday) 16:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=5D CLASSIC admirers, assemble! (5)

this thread is locked
Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 24, 2009 16:50 |  #1

5D CLASSIC admirers, assemble! (1)

5D CLASSIC admirers, assemble! (2)

5D CLASSIC admirers, assemble! (3)

5D CLASSIC admirers, assemble! (4)

5D classic owners, show us your 5D photos and talk to us about us why you love the 5D!

And for all the newbies and non-5D owners, may this thread help you in making your decision.

And for everyone who participated in the old thread: carry on as usual :lol:.

Trivia: this is the first thread in the gear forums ever to hit 10,000 [Edit: now 20,000!] posts and make it to its second iteration. Ironic, really, given how long Canon took to update the 5D.

**EDIT BY CDS***

We have a growing number of *Fan clubs revolving around specific bodies.
I thought I'd make a collection of them, so we can find them and keep them organized (merge in new ones etc)

The Master list is here

Feel free to point us to other models or threads that could be merged.

* WARNING: By posting in this or any of the linked threads you are wholly admitting in no uncertain terms that you are a snot nosed, milk drinking, knee biting, curtain climbing unabashed Canon Fanboy who's opinions must be taken with several large grains of kosher salt.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

sponsored links
tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Feb 05, 2011 13:59 |  #2

Open for business.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,802 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 05, 2011 14:01 as a reply to  @ tommykjensen's post |  #3

ahahahhaa

stars please

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

calledthestig
624 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 05, 2011 14:05 |  #4

HAHA, ill just quote myself here.

Is that technically how it works? For every stop down, you get another double in ISO? So at ISO3200 -2EV is ISO12800?

In before #5.

.: mattdonders | photography
.: facebook (external link) || my gear || my etsy (external link) || photoBLOG (external link) || flickr (external link) :.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 05, 2011 14:06 |  #5

WooHoo!

As part of the celebration I'll post a couple pics of the "Babe:

Ready for work:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/88193801/original.jpg

Glamor shot:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/107835875/original.jpg

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 05, 2011 14:10 |  #6

calledthestig wrote in post #11782877 (external link)
HAHA, ill just quote myself here.

Is that technically how it works? For every stop down, you get another double in ISO? So at ISO3200 -2EV is ISO12800?

In before #5.

One stop of ISO does double or halve the ISO. Of course, when you are dealing with intermediate, "H", and "L" settings you are getting software boosts in there, not just "hard" electronic boosts.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

antti-hannes
121 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 05, 2011 14:21 |  #7

Yea. Fifth thread?? Thats lot of talk there. Has any camera have so much threads in potn?
But still. Posting some houses for fifth thread celebration.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 05, 2011 14:25 |  #8

In before #5.

OK, just saw you post in the "old" thread --

People talk about "pushing" the ISO in post-processing when they can't get a proper exposure at the max in-camera ISO so they simply raise the brightness/exposure in processing. You can call raising the brightness by one stop "the equivalent" of raising the ISO by one stop, and since it does the "same thing" that's OK except how it can sometimes confuse people who don't understand what's going on.

But sure -- raise the brightness of an ISO 3200 in PP would do the same thing as if the 5DC had an "H2" setting where the in-camera software amplified the brightness to be the "equivalent" of ISO 6400.

Note though that this is software boosting (as is ISO 3200) and, if you are shooting Raw may not be the best approach. An alternative is to keep your camera at ISO 1600 (the last "true" ISO) and then use your Raw software to do what you need and you will have more control over the outcome. For jpegs, though, you pretty much do what you can/need to "get the shot".

Tony

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 05, 2011 14:29 |  #9

antti-hannes wrote in post #11782942 (external link)
Yea. Fifth thread?? Thats lot of talk there. Has any camera have so much threads in potn?
But still. Posting some houses for fifth thread celebration.

Nope this thread became the most active in the gear sections way back at the latter part of the first iteration -- nothing else I believe even has a second iteration (as far as actual gear goes).

Tony

phant0mv87
582 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 05, 2011 14:40 |  #10

i just received mine through the post today after a 3 day delay

OMG. the difference btwn the 5d and 40d. wow..... i haven't even uploaded them on my computer yet. just looking through the lcd... im pretty amazed...

;aldjdkjf :D

Canon 5DmkII BG-E6
85/1.4||100/2.8||24-70/2.8L||70-200mkII
580EX || YN-467 || ST-E2 ||RF-602
Packed nicely in a Lowepro Flipside 300

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 05, 2011 14:45 |  #11

phant0mv87 wrote in post #11783039 (external link)

OMG. the difference btwn the 5d and 40d. wow..... i haven't even uploaded them on my computer yet. just looking through the lcd... im pretty amazed...

Heh! Not sure what you mean by this -- you mean you zoomed the preview all the way and noted the greater resolution, or is this some intangible enthusiast thing:)!

Tony

Owl_79
786 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 05, 2011 14:46 |  #12

Ok lets continue this

IMAGE NOT FOUND

ISO160, f/22, 400mm, 1.6sec

IMAGE NOT FOUND

This is just one of my test images, sorry about bad composing and lights..(got my 5D two days ago)
ISO1600, 125mm (70-200 2.8L), f/4.0, 1/50s

Btw, I also have 40D and I have to say, I almost dropped from my chair when I looked my first ISO1600 and 3200 shots from 5D. Those 40D and 5D cannot be compared in either way, 5D is a winner in all respect when it comes to IQ.

Canon
http://tonskulus.kuvat​.fi/kuvat/ (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,189 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 05, 2011 14:48 |  #13

phant0mv87 wrote in post #11783039 (external link)

Given the differences in the LCD's its hard to imagine you can tell anything, but rest assured it will show up on the computer when you upload them.

antti-hannes
121 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 05, 2011 15:20 |  #14

gonzogolf wrote in post #11783084 (external link)
Given the differences in the LCD's its hard to imagine you can tell anything, but rest assured it will show up on the computer when you upload them.

^^ true dat. The lcd in 5D is kind of krap. Please just use it to check histogram. Its just like too "cold" and bright even when set to minimum brightness.

Nick ­ S
98 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 05, 2011 15:23 |  #15

That's why I keep second-guessing myself, I'll take a pic and then check the screen (Chimping?) to make sure I got a decent shot but then when I zoom in it doesn't look so great. I think the screen on my OLD laptop is marginally better so I haven't seen a "true" or accurate representation of the images yet.

sponsored links

1,374,881 views & 1 like for this thread
-=5D CLASSIC admirers, assemble! (5)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.