Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 06 Feb 2011 (Sunday) 12:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Affordable Video Editing Software for my 7D?

Gr8outdrsmn
918 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 06, 2011 12:46 |  #1

I am going to start doing some video with my 7D, not really sure where I am going to take it. I may just play with it, doing shorts with friends and what not, but I am going to need the ability to process/edit/compile it of course. I would love to have top notch software, but that is not currently an option since this is just fun stuff and not making me any money.

What software would you guys recommend for under $200, preferably $150, that will give me some decent capabilities for this? I am not going to be doing huge special effects or anything like that. Just want to compile my HD video and work in music and have it come out looking nice.

I have been looking at Pinnacle's Ultimate Studio collection, Adobe Premier Pro, and Vegas.

Of these, I have only used Pinnacle (about 10 years ago) It did alright, but just wondering what you guys think of my options?

ETA: I use a PC

Thanks you guys!

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -Ansel Adams
Brian Miller Photography (external link) -a work in progress
My FlickR (external link)
Mayhem #1521910 (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
crazyrunner33
26 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 06, 2011 13:36 |  #2

I'd recommend Premiere Pro CS5, that's what I use and I only use the 7D for video work. CS5 Premiere Pro plays very well with the 7D because it has presets designed for all the different video modes that our camera uses. Pinnacle is ok for using with your home miniDV camera, but it sometimes doesn't get along with HDSLR cameras, it especially doesn't like 720P at 59.94 frames per second. I don't have any experience with Vegas so I won't comment on that.

For top notch software you can use professionally CS5 is the way to go out of your choices. If you had the extra buck I would recommend AVID which is the true industry standard, but I'm guessing you aren't looking at dropping two thousand into software.

Gr8outdrsmn
THREAD ­ STARTER
918 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 06, 2011 13:41 |  #3

Thanks for the info! I REALLY want Premiere Pro CS5, but can't really justify the money right now.

Thanks for telling me about the issue with Pinnacle!

Maybe I should just save up for Premiere Pro CS5....hmmm haha

Gear List

Court ­ Jester
34 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 06, 2011 13:42 |  #4

It may or may not fit your needs, but I use Vegas Pro 10 at work. I'm a process manager and it's used with a standard hand held video camera and I take my riding videos to work to play with also.
It does far more than I've put into these couple of videos.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=O1klkMqlwHY (external link)

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=4EVRt1CeGDo (external link)

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 06, 2011 13:57 |  #5

Vegas pro 10 is like $70, and there is an "elements" version of Premiere that's maybe $150? not sure on that.

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

LiberationFrequency
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 06, 2011 14:02 |  #6

I use Premiere and After Effects for my video work.

I will tell you that if you can somehow end up justifying the cost of Premiere, you will love it. Editing is very simple, but you can do a TON of things with Premiere (including using some After Effects plugins). There is a reason that it costs as much as it does, and the only way I would leave the adobe platform is for AVID. Look up the price on that one if you dare.

Premiere has surpassed Final Cut in my and many other industry professionals' opinions', and I would highly recommend it. Save up for it, be patient!

Gr8outdrsmn
THREAD ­ STARTER
918 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 06, 2011 14:09 |  #7

Thanks! I use CS5 for my photos, and LOVE it, so I know that Premiere would be amazing. I just have to find a way to justify spending that money, haha. hmmm, maybe I could try to shoot commercials for local small businesses.....worth a shot! hahahaha

Gear List

Court ­ Jester
34 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 06, 2011 14:49 |  #8

Chippy569 wrote in post #11788889 (external link)
Vegas pro 10 is like $70, and there is an "elements" version of Premiere that's maybe $150? not sure on that.

Not sure where you're looking... What we got was a little more than this so maybe we got ripped of a little. But Vegas Pro will do some pretty cool stuff with videos. High speed, slow mo, multiple vids on one screen, color editing, audio creation, audio editing, voice stripping from music, etc. It more than $70 and is well worth this listed price.
http://www.google.com …73545054330603&​os=sellers (external link)

Court ­ Jester
34 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 06, 2011 14:51 |  #9

Not sure where you're looking... What we got was a little more than this so maybe we got ripped of a little. But Vegas Pro will do some pretty cool stuff with videos. High speed, slow mo, multiple vids on one screen, color editing, audio creation, audio editing, voice stripping from music, etc. It more than $70 and is well worth this listed price.
http://www.google.com …73545054330603&​os=sellers (external link)

I'll get one of the company presentation videos I put together uploaded this week and post it.

Gr8outdrsmn
THREAD ­ STARTER
918 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 06, 2011 15:00 |  #10

Court Jester wrote in post #11789177 (external link)
....I'll get one of the company presentation videos I put together uploaded this week and post it.

thanks!

Gear List

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 06, 2011 15:03 |  #11

LiberationFrequency wrote in post #11788925 (external link)
Premiere has surpassed Final Cut in my and many other industry professionals' opinions'

love to see some proof on that

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

LiberationFrequency
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 06, 2011 15:05 |  #12

Chippy569 wrote in post #11789234 (external link)
love to see some proof on that

Number one, thats subjective.

Number two, Final Cut doesn't take advantage of multiple cores. Render times are atrocious.

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 06, 2011 19:06 |  #13

I would like to know where you can find Vegas Pro 10 for $70 as most of the discounters are charging $519 for it.

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 06, 2011 19:15 |  #14

Gr8outdrsmn wrote in post #11788415 (external link)
What software would you guys recommend for under $200, preferably $150, that will give me some decent capabilities for this? I am not going to be doing huge special effects or anything like that. Just want to compile my HD video and work in music and have it come out looking nice. Thanks you guys!

Gr8outdrsmn wrote in post #11788415 (external link)
I have been looking at Pinnacle's Ultimate Studio collection, Adobe Premier Pro, and Vegas.

I have tried Pinnacle Studio 12 and it to me seems kludgey and not very intuitive, we run Vegas Pro 9 on a couple of our NLE’s and it is very easy to work with, Vegas has a stripped down consumer version called Movie Studio which you may want to try out.

A product comparison can be found here.

http://www.sonycreativ​esoftware.com/moviestu​diope/compare (external link)

You can download a 30 day trial of any of them here.

http://www.sonycreativ​esoftware.com/download​/trials (external link)

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Court ­ Jester
34 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 06, 2011 19:30 |  #15

I have pinnicle on my laptop at home. It's okay but Vegas Pro is a lot more usable with more options for sure.

sponsored links

3,915 views & 0 likes for this thread
Affordable Video Editing Software for my 7D?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.