Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Feb 2011 (Monday) 12:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question for any of you techies/DIY experts out there...

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 07, 2011 12:34 |  #1

I'm fairly sure that this isn't a stupid question, but please forgive me if it is. Here goes:

Exactly what can be removed from a dSLR (or any digital camera, really) without rendering it nonfunctional?

What I would like to do, you see, is basically take an old dSLR and strip it down until nothing is left but the sensor, controls, LCD, card slot, and battery slot. This would mean removing the shutter, the prism, the viewfinder, the flash, the mount, and, of course, almost all of the body itself. I basically want to end up with a fully functioning, photo-taking sensor with an attached LCD screen.

Given that all of this stuff is integrated, though, I'm assuming that it's going to be virtually impossible to remove ANYTHING electronic without getting some sort of error message (or even complete camera death). If it's impossible to completely remove these things, could I at least remove the parts of them with no electronics? Is there some way to hack the firmware (as if I know how to hack firmware) to make it ignore parts of the camera that no longer exist?

I'm thinking that it might actually be easier to do this with a Sigma DP1 or, MUCH easier, with a Sony NEX...but I don't even feel like dropping $200 on a throw-away Rebel XT, let alone a $500 Sony. Someone tell me I'm crazy before I spend any money in an incredibly stupid manner!

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

sponsored links
NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,206 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 07, 2011 12:35 |  #2

cptrios wrote in post #11795004 (external link)
I'm fairly sure that this isn't a stupid question, but please forgive me if it is. Here goes:

Exactly what can be removed from a dSLR (or any digital camera, really) without rendering it nonfunctional?

What I would like to do, you see, is basically take an old dSLR and strip it down until nothing is left but the sensor, controls, LCD, card slot, and battery slot. This would mean removing the shutter, the prism, the viewfinder, the flash, the mount, and, of course, almost all of the body itself. I basically want to end up with a fully functioning, photo-taking sensor with an attached LCD screen.

Given that all of this stuff is integrated, though, I'm assuming that it's going to be virtually impossible to remove ANYTHING electronic without getting some sort of error message (or even complete camera death). If it's impossible to completely remove these things, could I at least remove the parts of them with no electronics? Is there some way to hack the firmware (as if I know how to hack firmware) to make it ignore parts of the camera that no longer exist?

I'm thinking that it might actually be easier to do this with a Sigma DP1 or, MUCH easier, with a Sony NEX...but I don't even feel like dropping $200 on a throw-away Rebel XT, let alone a $500 Sony. Someone tell me I'm crazy before I spend any money in an incredibly stupid manner!

You're crazy!

Errr, why?? ???

Kev

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,999 posts
Gallery: 376 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 07, 2011 13:20 |  #3

NinetyEight wrote in post #11795015 (external link)
Errr, why?? ???

+1

I would pretty much bet everything is intergrated, my guess, when you turn on a camera it runs through a quick post like a computer checking that everything is in working order...

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,962 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 07, 2011 13:34 |  #4

To take a picture, though, you will need at least the shutter, otherwise you would most likely have minimally exposure issues and maximally all kinds of streaking/blurring that the shutter would have prevented. I think you would also end up with a bunch of parts that were needed, just kinda scattered around and not in as neat a package as the original DSLR body.

You probably could remove the flash shoe/popup flash, LCD (might throw codes though, however, people have been able to shoot with a broken LCD panel before), the prism (but would need the AF sensor area), etc. You could probably reduce the overall package down to 50% of its space today, as a guess. A point and shoot camera would be better for this kind of butchery though, wouldn't it, and it wouldn't have a shutter to worry about either.

I am curious what kind of imaging techie project you are working on. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

cptrios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 07, 2011 14:09 |  #5

TeamSpeed wrote in post #11795416 (external link)
To take a picture, though, you will need at least the shutter, otherwise you would most likely have minimally exposure issues and maximally all kinds of streaking/blurring that the shutter would have prevented. I think you would also end up with a bunch of parts that were needed, just kinda scattered around and not in as neat a package as the original DSLR body.

You probably could remove the flash shoe/popup flash, LCD (might throw codes though, however, people have been able to shoot with a broken LCD panel before), the prism (but would need the AF sensor area), etc. You could probably reduce the overall package down to 50% of its space today, as a guess. A point and shoot camera would be better for this kind of butchery though, wouldn't it, and it wouldn't have a shutter to worry about either.

I am curious what kind of imaging techie project you are working on. :)

Aha! Well, you see, that's part of the point. My plan (if you can call it a plan) is to shoehorn the guys of a dSLR (or anything with at least a 1.6 crop sensor) into either a Pentax Spotmatic or a Canon AE-1 (I'd love to do a rangefinder instead, but I just don't think there'd be enough real estate inside the camera body. We'll see though.)

What the hell is the point, you ask? I dunno really. I guess it's a combination of me loving the aesthetics of classic cameras and just wanting to see if it can be done. The end result would most likely be clunky, and at best would have to rely on a "Hit a bulb exposure on the SLR then press the film camera's shutter" method of use...but wouldn't it just be cool?

Of course I dig the upcoming X100, but it's expensive and has a fixed lens. No good at the moment.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,962 posts
Joined May 2002

Feb 07, 2011 14:27 |  #6

cptrios wrote in post #11795615 (external link)
Aha! Well, you see, that's part of the point. My plan (if you can call it a plan) is to shoehorn the guys of a dSLR (or anything with at least a 1.6 crop sensor) into either a Pentax Spotmatic or a Canon AE-1 (I'd love to do a rangefinder instead, but I just don't think there'd be enough real estate inside the camera body. We'll see though.)

What the hell is the point, you ask? I dunno really. I guess it's a combination of me loving the aesthetics of classic cameras and just wanting to see if it can be done. The end result would most likely be clunky, and at best would have to rely on a "Hit a bulb exposure on the SLR then press the film camera's shutter" method of use...but wouldn't it just be cool?

Of course I dig the upcoming X100, but it's expensive and has a fixed lens. No good at the moment.

Ha, gut out a Nikon and put the Canon parts in it, or vice versa! :lol:

It would be the talk of the internet, a guy that loved both Nikon and Canon, so he stuck them together!

I could see where if somebody had the time on their hands and the funds/ingenuity, they could really do something neat.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

mrgooch
Goldmember
3,193 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 07, 2011 14:41 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #7

Why not just invest in this new model!
http://www.dpreview.co​m/previews/fujifilmx10​0/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,962 posts
Joined May 2002

Feb 07, 2011 15:31 |  #8

mrgooch wrote in post #11795852 (external link)
Why not just invest in this new model!
http://www.dpreview.co​m/previews/fujifilmx10​0/ (external link)

Notice this comment.... ?? :)

cptrios wrote in post #11795615 (external link)

sponsored links

1,262 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question for any of you techies/DIY experts out there...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.